HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7 Posts
Help!
Tug Propellor(Atlantic Tug)

Updated my new Atlantic with stick radio,6v bat. and Hitec esc. She runs great!,Reverse issue is solved. I have read the mods for larger props but i do not want to start cutting and pulling the shaft yet. Any Atlantic owners bought larger props that will fit without mods?, If so what size and where did you buy from. Also do these boat props come with the drive dog cast in? I cannot tell from online pics. I see there isnt much room for a larger prop without mods, but i think a 4 blade slightly larger than the supplied 30mm will perform better or at least look beter! Thank for any info.

cpd32
cpd32 is offline Find More Posts by cpd32
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:36 PM
Gravity won...!
Austin, TX USA
Joined Jan 2001
399 Posts
Mine screws on...

I chose to drastically increase the size to a 45 mm, 4 blade prop and it threads on to a 5/32 shaft with 4 mm threads...locked it with a jam nut. Try a 1/8 in. bore, drive dog type prop - it will probably engage your drive dog just fine. If not, a 1/8 drive dog fits the 3 mm shaft pretty closely. Hopefully, someone will hook you up to a good prop source.

Don't let changing out the stuffing tube scare you - no cutting required! Just use a soldering iron with a pencil point shaped tip - hold it against the end that protrudes out rear until you feel it soften. Then push it out. I think I only had to heat it for a few seconds - I used a 25 watt iron.

If you do increase the size/pitch of your prop, you may be forced into a gear reduction scheme.
Jim Duda is offline Find More Posts by Jim Duda
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:24 AM
Palm City, Florida
Joined Oct 2007
12 Posts
I updated my Atlantic with a tio Marine 30 ESC, 3S Lipo, Futaba 3 ch. radio. I also added a bilge pump (windshield washer pump) on the 3rd channel using an HK on/off switch. Runs great.

I did try different props but no real significant difference. With the 3S LiPo it runs faster than scale so didn't see a need to mess with the prop size anymore.

Love my tug. Have had it for 2+ years and still on the original motor. Run it almost every weekend using it as a pusher tug for recovery.
Ijohansen is offline Find More Posts by Ijohansen
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:08 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
If you want to do easy and cheap and still have a very good amount of power I suggest this:

Prop upgrade
I upgraded the tugs prop this week and got it field tested. I went from the stock 3 blade 30mm aluminum to a 4 blade 35mm brass which is the largest prop that will fit without surgery. I am very pleased with the upgraded performance of the new prop. I was marginally able to pull in the sailboat marks with the old setup. The new prop performs this task with ease. The marks have 4 oz and 2 oz counter sinkers for a total of 6 oz dragging the bottom. The weights, in combination with the drag created by the foam floats, make it a good work out for the tug.

The part number for the Raboesch prop at Loyalhanna Shipyard is: 177-45 1 $19.00 35MM, 1/8", RH PROP. Allow a couple of weeks or more for delivery.

It did not thread on properly, but I was able to oil it and twist it on with some force. Since the shaft is steel and the prop is brass....I figure it is not going to be an issue if I want to change props again.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...bor+tug&page=9

Post 124

If you want to do what I did to the drive train just read on in that thread...but it will be costly and I only did it because I was curious about the results. It is not needed to do what you plan to do with the boat...

Welcome to RCGroups...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash