HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2002, 11:51 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Crazy Max 3D Park Flyer

Crazy Max 3D Park Flyer

By Greg Covey

The Crazy Max is an excellent flyer offers a gentle learning curve for beginners and full performance flying fun for any seasoned pilot. It is also a great value for the money, especially considering that it comes with a motor, gearbox, and prop. new
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2002, 05:53 PM
USA, VA, Radford
Joined Mar 2002
183 Posts
Another great review by Greg. I was wondering where to go after my TM. Looks like I'll be going Crazy Max.
george l is offline Find More Posts by george l
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:52 PM
Central Massachusetts
Joined May 2002
72 Posts
me too, i've been flying my TM and Soarstar and was looking at the Zero for a little while but it looks like the Crazy Max is going to be my next plane, cant wait!!!!
djspnz is offline Find More Posts by djspnz
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:08 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Crazy Max

I built a Crazy Max (or "Craze Max" as the decals call it) over the winter. My only complaint was the rather cramped fuselage--tough to shoehorn all the gear in there. So, after a couple of dozen flights, I sat down and built a new sheet-balsa fuselage. Gained 1.5 ounces in weight, but no noticeable loss in performance. Even better, I now have lots of room inside, thus widening my battery choices. The stock airplane would barely accept the 8-cell AA NIMH pack, but now I can use that as well as some of the 8-cell 600AE packs I have lying around. And, since the thing still climbs rather steeply, I'm thinking of going to higher-capacity packs.

On the whole, though, the Crazy Max is a blast, whether you build it stock or do what I did. I've yet to find a maneuver it can't do, though lord knows I'm definitely not the hottest aerobatics pilot around.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Jun 30, 2002, 05:36 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2002
302 Posts
CRAZY MAX

I have to agree that the Crazy Max is difficult to put together in the way the instructions advise. I have made quite a few mod's to mine to "stuff", install all of the gear. First of all anyone who is considering putting one together would be well advised to move the servos back about 1/4 of an inch.To the point that they are up against the the rear bambo wing hold downs. The balance is not affected and when finished is right were the instructions place it. Also they should make an additional firewall (motor mount) out of a better grade of plywood and make the very top slightly higher then the stock one. Just epoxy it on to the front of the soft ply mount here. this will do two things for you. #1 It will give a much better mount for the forward plastic wing mount and will give the motor mounting screws a much stronger set. I also cannot believe that they only show the aileron servo mounted on the top of the wing? That is the last place it should be. It is very easy to mount inside the wing and not only does this make the rubber band attachments much easier, but it protects the servo. I did find the suggestion of putting a block of balsa inside the mount to keep the battery secure, but because I think the plastic mount itself is not heavy enough, I added a second one. All up weight with these modifications is next to zero. I feel that the fuselage is too weak and for just a few cents the mfg could have enlarged it slightly, this would have been a much better choice. Frankly it is not a beginner plane were as the Mini Max is pretty darn good right out of the box.
Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dick
Old Jun 30, 2002, 06:29 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Crazy Max

Dick wrote:
"I have to agree that the Crazy Max is difficult to put together in the way the instructions advise. I have made quite a few mod's to mine to "stuff", install all of the gear. "

Hmmmm....I built and flew mine box-stock and had no problems other than the cramped fuselage. The firewall turned out to be surprisingly robust. I had a major radio glitch during a high-speed pass at about 3 feet, which resulted in the Max pitching almost straight down at full power. Hit that frozen dirt and bounced. The firewall snapped off, but was easily repaired with some 5-minute epoxy. No other damage, and the plane flew fine afterwards. Indeed, I still have the intact fuselage sitting in the closet (anyone wanna buy it? <G>). Most amazingly, the prop shaft didn't bend!

No doubt about it, though: This is NOT a beginner's plane. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend it as a first aileron plane. It's just too nippy and responsive for the average low-time flyer to keep up with.

But it is a blast!
Old Jun 30, 2002, 06:41 PM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
To me the two biggest faults are, the the fusalage is to small and I don't like taking the wing off very time I change the battery. Other than that it's a great flyer I think building a new fusalage is a good idea going to have to try it
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Jul 01, 2002, 01:42 PM
pelzer sc
Joined Nov 2001
193 Posts
Hi balsa hound if you can would you post some photos. I have been thinking about a balsa fuselage my self.
ramduster is offline Find More Posts by ramduster
Old Jul 01, 2002, 01:52 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ramduster
Hi balsa hound if you can would you post some photos. I have been thinking about a balsa fuselage my self.
Love to, but it's gonna be a while. I don't have a digital camera and shoot only slides. Right now, I'm working on a roll for a radio review. I should have that done late this week, so it might be late next week before I get the film back and some slides scanned.

Anyone who's interested in some details (as in written instructions) can email me out of the forum. Try this address:
CrazyMax@thercsource.com

Of course, you can also go look at the Website of the same domain You won't find the new Max fuse there yet, but a couple of other oddities might spur your imagination.

Thanks!
JL
Old Jul 04, 2002, 03:21 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
New Max Fuselage

You asked, you get! Here's a couple of shots of the simple box replacement fuselage I made for the Crazy Max wing. AUW is one ounce heavier, but no loss of performance I can detect.

Even better, I can now fit in all sorts of battery packs.
Old Jul 04, 2002, 03:29 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
New Max Fuselage

And here's a side view.

I traced the wing lower profile from the original mount, then cut the top of the fuselage to match that profile. Fits like a glove.

Mine is 21 inches from firewall to tailpost, but I could lop off an inch from the nose and she'd balance a bit better.

Tail surfaces:
Span: 12.5
Stab chord (root): 3
Stab chord (tip): 2
Elevator chord: 2
Fin height: 5.5
Fim chord (root): 3
Fin chord (tip): 2
Rudder chord (top): 2
Rudder chord at elevator line: 3

Enjoy!
Old Jul 07, 2002, 11:02 AM
pelzer sc
Joined Nov 2001
193 Posts
Tanks I was thinking of some thing just like that so I will hold on to the wing and build a new fuselage some time soon.
ramduster is offline Find More Posts by ramduster
Old Jul 07, 2002, 05:13 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
Balsa Hound.
It looks great! I am beyond frustrated trying to stuff everything into that little hole even after moving the receiver behind the servos. Are the tail feathers built up or sheet? I've got a Great Planes Tutor that's a work in progress. Has similar dimensions as yours but built up tail. A real pain with the tiny 1/8th sticks. I'm thinking damn the extra weight and using sheet balsa with lightening holes. Whadya think? I may use the Tutor plans to scratch a new fuse and tail for the Crazy Max before its first flight.
By the way I'm using the Wattage IC-380AS 30 amp ESC. It's slightly larger than some but not THAT much.
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 07, 2002, 10:16 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by turbojoe
Balsa Hound.
It looks great! I am beyond frustrated trying to stuff everything into that little hole even after moving the receiver behind the servos. Are the tail feathers built up or sheet?
Tail is 3/32 sheet. I've been using that on all my Speed 400 designs. Works great for this thing, too.

I'm flying my reconfigured Max with a Pixie 20 ESC. Works great, and plenty light, too. I originally tried to shoehorn a WattAge IC-15 in the original Max fuselage. You can imagine how well that worked.
Old Jul 08, 2002, 07:10 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
Thanks B.H. I think I'll go for it and use sheet stock with some lightening holes. Probably do the same with the Tutor so I can get it done sooner. How much more tail heavy did yours come out? More than battery movement could cure?
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe