SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Question
Separate ESC for each plane?

I was thinking about buying a nice Hyperion 50Amp Brushless ESC for my future needs. Its a big investment. I was wondering do people simply connect connectors into both sides of the ESC and transfer it from model to model or do they buy a new ESC for each plane?

So do I spend more money in buying smaller ESCs to suit each model or buy one big ESC and transfer it around? The same can be said for the receiver too.

Thanks
panzerd18 is offline Find More Posts by panzerd18
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 10:39 PM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Part of the aeromodelling challenge is getting more fun for your $$$!

I'm a transfer between models sort of modeller (there is some truth to my avatar caption). I've a couple of 18A brushed speedies shared around my hanger as I have a few deans plugs at my disposal.

Add up your connector costs and be sure to factor these into the cost / benefit calcs... eg:

18A brushed speedy these days, ~$30
Deans plugs ~$5 per set (from a shop)

6 deans plugs later you could have bought a new speedy!

For my first 4 years I used one Rx... I now have 3 to suit small through to large models.

Have fun!
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:04 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
glydr I'm thinking the same as you.

The only thing is I have found a ebay store which sells deans plugs really cheap. I'm talking like $1.2 per pair. 30 pairs for just over $30

I can't believe our hobby stores charge so much. I have made transactions with this guy before. He is an Australian living in Hong Kong and I just Direct Deposit the money into his Australian bank account.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....category=34056

Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:37 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,193 Posts
Those aren't Deans plugs, they're 'Deans Style' connectors, ie. counterfeits. Can you trust them?

Moving the ESC and/or RX from one model to another can be a pain, and increases the risk of something going wrong. I only pull the gear out of models that aren't worth flying anymore!
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 13, 2006, 01:01 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
I trust them, they can't be that hard to make. They are only little bits of plastic with metal connectors embedded into them
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
Regiztered Uzer
Quebec, Canada
Joined Feb 2001
479 Posts
I also fly on a somewhat limited budget
I've done a lot of component swapping (I was even swapping servos between planes until I could afford enough of them!) I must say that it's doable, but it will put more strain on your equipment, especially the servo leads. You must keep an eye on them, especially the ESC lead, as it will fail eventually, with disastrous consequences (ask me how I know)
In the end I've decided to keep only 3 models in flying condition - that's all I can realistically support with my limited budget.

I've used some of these cheap deans style, and so far so good. My current draws are modest at avg 20 amps. It allowed me to standerdize almost all my battery-operated equipment - even my kids jeep is now using them - without going broke
YMMV

Marc
Markz is offline Find More Posts by Markz
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,848 Posts
I have set my stuff up to be able to move it from plane to plane. For motors I use a length of slowstick fuselage as a motor mount, I just epoxy the piece to a section of 1/16" plywood. The ESC generally stays connected to the motor, and have a piece of velcro on them for whatever plane they're going in at the moment. My receivers are mounted with velcro so I can move them around too as needed.

I've actually got enough stuff now that I don't need to move things around as much, but I still build this way because it's very flexible. I can move the motor/ESC to another plane in 30 seconds.

Edited to add: I agree about the wear and tear tho - gotta really watch the servo leads. I never pull them out by the wires.
bsoder is offline Find More Posts by bsoder
Old Mar 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
Keep it up, I'm reloading
In my home
Joined Jan 2006
775 Posts
World Hobby

FYI,
You might want to read the threads in the Vendor forum.
Buyer beware......
Yes, they are counterfeit. You get what you pay for.
I would only trust the real Deans for such a critical system link in my birds.
Yes, I swap my ESC,RX and/or motor between my birds all the time. Leaving servos in each one is really the cheapest way to increase your fleet size. Whats a few minutes for the swap out??
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerd18
glydr I'm thinking the same as you.

The only thing is I have found a ebay store which sells deans plugs really cheap. I'm talking like $1.2 per pair. 30 pairs for just over $30

I can't believe our hobby stores charge so much. I have made transactions with this guy before. He is an Australian living in Hong Kong and I just Direct Deposit the money into his Australian bank account.

WACOFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WACOFlyer
Old Mar 13, 2006, 03:54 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Waco is right, you should read the comments in the vendor forum of rcgroups.com You could be in for trouble with world hobby.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:32 PM
Rockford, IL
Joined Oct 2003
974 Posts
At the present time I have 27 planes that are ready to fly. All of them have a receiver, ESC and Servos in them. When I buy a new plane I also buy a receiver, ESC and servos for it unless it is bought to replace a crashed plane.

Tom Moody
Tom Moody is online now Find More Posts by Tom Moody
Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:56 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
I have 40 planes, but maybe only 6 brushless, 5 brushed ESC's, and five receivers [and 50 motors, 200 props, 30 prop adapters, a bunch of gearboxes and vast array of pinions and spurs - mostly for test purposes] - all have Gold Connectors so I just mix and match.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 14, 2006, 01:06 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
I have 6 planes, 2 CCPM helos, and 1 Fixed pitch helo... and have seperate ESC's for each... in addition to 4 backup brushless, and 3 backup brushed ESC's that are saved for a rainy day.

As for the Rx's, Electron 6's for each... as well as 3 extra backup ones. (Except for the fixed pitch helo... it has a GWS Rx... go figure lol.

Kiwi is right, 3.5mm Gold Bullets is the way to go for mix and matching. That and backed up by Deans Ultra.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Mar 14, 2006, 08:00 PM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
I'm retired. Not from the oil business either. I'm also a prolific builder. My wife says they multiply like rabbits. I have lots of motors and ESC's, but I couldn't possibly afford to have complete power systems for each model that I own. I swap motors and ESC's and sometimes even servo's all of the time. Often at the field. Some are tractors and some are pushers. Gold connectors make my life soooooooo much easier.
Thom
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Mar 15, 2006, 07:51 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
I have 6 planes, 2 CCPM helos, and 1 Fixed pitch helo... and have seperate ESC's for each... in addition to 4 backup brushless, and 3 backup brushed ESC's that are saved for a rainy day.

As for the Rx's, Electron 6's for each... as well as 3 extra backup ones. (Except for the fixed pitch helo... it has a GWS Rx... go figure lol.

Kiwi is right, 3.5mm Gold Bullets is the way to go for mix and matching. That and backed up by Deans Ultra.

-Chris
I find that the 2.5mm MP Jet Gold Connectors (45A) are my most useful size - I sometimes use 1.8mm (25A) on small motors and planes [but one can only fit 20ga or less wire into 'em]. I don't have much which requires the 80A capacity of the 3.5mm's - though I do use them on big Lipos which have leads which are 13ga-14ga, 'cos 16ga is as much as one can fit into the 2.5mm's! And I still have Deans Ultras on my Medusa Power Analyzer.

Cheers, Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
Can anyone please tell me if you have a multi engined aircraft powered by brushless motors do you need a seperate ESC for each motor or can you run both from the one ESC?