HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:05 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Discussion
Does anyone here use the electric power pod by Carl Goldberg?

I just bought a Carl Goldberg Electric power pod that I intend to use on my Gentle Lady.

Has anyone had much experience with this thing?

What battery pack should I choose?

Will the battery pack fit in the pop itself or does that go into the fuse?

It's not here yet!
From the picture I saw, it looks kinda antiquated. How long has this thing been around? I am guessing the 70s or 80s. Yet the design looks like there had been a lot of thought put into it. Very clean looking, considering it will interupt the flow of air over the plane and add drag and weight.

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 07:40 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
I used one. It worked OK. Kinda klunky, but did the job.
With a brushless motor and an ESC instead of a switch, there's no need for the bulk.. the battery (if Lipo) can be put in the fuselage, and the pod reduced to a support for the motor.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 12, 2006, 09:49 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Great info and thanks... It really is a good looking pod design.

I like your idea of having both tractor and pusher designs.

By the way I just noticed that the Goldberg has no platform to mount on like many of the "strap on" types of power pods do. So how is this thing mounted? Drill holes through the wing and use long bolts to the underside of the wing? Not liking the thought of that.

Robert
Old Mar 12, 2006, 11:59 PM
orlando, FL
Joined May 2004
284 Posts
If you don't like drilling holes on the wing and you still use the single line of rubberbands to strap the wing its posible you could modify the platform to be straped in. Probably you will have to supply the wood to do it though. I used to do it this way with a .049 engine straped in and never had problems.
Knife3dge is offline Find More Posts by Knife3dge
Old Mar 13, 2006, 06:32 PM
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Personally I would rather slice off the nose and stick the motor there as opposed to making holes in the wing. That might sound dumb and would be a lot more work than a couple of little holes, but I just feel that way.

No, I could easily make a platform to mate the bottom, One that would hug the wing airfoil and could be held on by the bands holding the wing.

Robert