SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2006, 03:00 PM
Antwerpen
Joined Jul 2005
5 Posts
Discussion
Strange crash with a Curare

Hello guys,

This afternoon, I had a short flight with my most loved bird, it made a beautifull take off, level flight, but every time I used my elevator, I got it rolling to the right. I made my turn to bring it in, to notice it got that worse, that for making a turn left, I had to keep the ailerons completely left, to see when using the elevator rolling to the left. That resulted it a more or less sharp dive, which I could level to a degree of 30-45, to have it's right wing touching ground first, by trying to level more.
Short story, 2 off 3 wheels, resonance pipe threw off, even the exhaust pipe is ready to scrap, wing doesn't look nice, the rest doesn't look good either. Happely, I managed to let it pass between two trees.
Before flight, all controls were checked, even on play. Geometry was checked, even after the crash, all functions of the tail were ok, ailerons were still ok and functional too ?
It puzzles me ? Someone can help me with this one ?

Steven
Steve25 is offline Find More Posts by Steve25
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2006, 08:25 PM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
USA, ND, Grand Forks
Joined Jan 2005
2,159 Posts
Could you have possibly hit the switch that controls the elevator and ailerons
together?
I have that function as well as v-tail, elevon mixing, and normal.
ronmeister is offline Find More Posts by ronmeister
Old Mar 14, 2006, 09:26 AM
Antwerpen
Joined Jul 2005
5 Posts
Hello Ronmeister,

Nope, that can't be the problem, as this airplane is used with a real old dedicated Sanwa TX, that simply has 4 channels straightforward, so, not even a mixing function, and a range and performance check that even put's new Futaba's in a corner as rubbish. Working on PPM and even AM, it suppresses even TX's in FM, while the other would die on glitches, my rx doesn't even react on any disturbance.
So, I rule out any RC error, heck even any pilot error.
Really, it puzzles me. The airplane was at max. about 400 feet away, on a height of 200 feet, and due to the problem, not able to turn, or pull up.
It even puzzles me more that the model was rolling right by 'up', even combined with full roll left command, one would think that ailerons should have more authority on rolls then on tail ? Again, alle control surfaces were controlled on throw, even under force !

With such an impact, i'm as happy as a child to know that I can repair it, but what's the point as I can not fix the problem ?
The only thing I can add is that this problem occured the first time after a minor repair on the right wing, but this was repaired well, and tested on strenght, angle, etc.
Steve25 is offline Find More Posts by Steve25