HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:14 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Finally all those ugly overhangs get removed. I use a razor plane for most of the work. The fuselage then gets sanded. I round of the corners.
I also used a little bit of light filler here and there.

I was almost tempted to try some light f/glass and Minwax polycrylic which others have used with great success.
However I have not been able to find Minwax Polycrylic here in Australia and I'm not sure what to use as an equivalent. Read here that any help would be appreciated.
pmjass is offline Find More Posts by pmjass
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:17 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Couldn't resist. Dry fit of tail feathers. Now it definitely looks like a Stik.
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:20 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Tailplane glued on
Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:21 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Its easy to get it straight as the v at the front and the tabs at the rear get it all aligned
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:51 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjass
Finally all those ugly overhangs get removed. I use a razor plane for most of the work. The fuselage then gets sanded. I round of the corners.
I also used a little bit of light filler here and there.

I was almost tempted to try some light f/glass and Minwax polycrylic which others have used with great success.
However I have not been able to find Minwax Polycrylic here in Australia and I'm not sure what to use as an equivalent. Read here that any help would be appreciated.
Did you ever try mixing about 15% of water based acylic coloured wall paint into some of your selleys probond and wiping it on after its foamed a bit with an old credit card then sanding when dry ?
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I've got to get back to the build on mine. I picked up some ultracoat (all I could fine) and played around a bit with covering foam. Never tried it before this. Looks like the best approach is to get the iron just hot enough to stick the covering down and not try to shrink it any. I tried it on some scrap, and boy does it make it stong!!!

I still haven't glued up the fuse, but I got a good feeling that today is the day...
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:45 AM
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
Yup, got the glue on!!!!

Since I hand cut the parts, I cut the tabs completely open (as opposed to cutting just enough room for a hot wire. That, and since I used FFF (due to the waves) I used pins to hold everything together. It went together very well and despite it looking like a pincushion, it is looking great!!

I will take a few shots of it drying and post later. I'm getting ready to try and cover the wing. I've got a few iron cross decals from my ol' slow stick that I might put on it, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do the traditional ugly stick, or a different covering scheme. I only have red and white film so we will see what I come up with....
Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:40 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Good looking builds PJ and NS. What are you uys using for rudder hinges?? They are different, but not tape??
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Mar 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
I used an old floppy disk. Break them open and use the black disk inside. I had never tried it before, but it seems to work well, and being in IT, I have many old disk laying around. I also used poly glue for the hinges too.

They seemed to work for PJ, so I thought I would try them.
Old Mar 21, 2006, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2005
7,060 Posts
Hey pmjass, could I talk you into posting a few pics of your hatch on the completed model? I'm getting ready to cover the fuse, and install gear, but I don't want to do it until I see how you've got it in mind to set up. I could figure it out myself, but why reinvent the wheel?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 02:08 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
I have a bunch of photos ready to post. Been a bit busy however.

This is the hatch shot. It is a little out of sequence. I'll post the other pics later.

The cutout is 40mm from front face of rear bulkhead, 5mm from rear face of front bulkhead and 5mm into the side (To avoid having to cut along the glue line).

The rear is tabbed with some 3mm balsa full width and I use some 6x3mm neodynium magnets up front.
Last edited by pmjass; Mar 21, 2006 at 07:11 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:21 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod
Did you ever try mixing about 15% of water based acylic coloured wall paint into some of your selleys probond and wiping it on after its foamed a bit with an old credit card then sanding when dry ?
Not yet, I'll give it a try when I have a chance.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:24 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Wing glued on.
Old Mar 22, 2006, 06:26 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
629 Posts
Tailskid assembly attached. Baseplate is 3mm balsa. Tailskid is ply.
Assembly is deliberately long enough to splice across the fus to tailplane joint which would otherwise be a weak point.