SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:04 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
The box fuselage is very strong. The reason for the crutch in the centre section is so that when the hatch is cut free the fuz stays rigid.

The tabs help lock it all together. with the tabs it can be glued all in one go. I have no problems building straight wings its always the fuz's that give me trouble; with the tabs even I can get one reasonably straight.

Please post pics the more the better. I'm eager to hear how it goes with the Hacker. I'm also very interested in anyone trying the Hacker A30/28S on the 100% version.
pmjass is offline Find More Posts by pmjass
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:10 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Fuz after glueing. Front top deck is still not glued on. Battery hatch will be cut out later. All the overhang will be trimmed later. I am leaving it on for now to help protect the fuz a little from hangar rash.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:26 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Next, front bulkhead and landing gear plate. Note the holes in the landing gear plate are set up to suit the Hyperion 400 size landing gear from Aircraft-World.

Paper patterns are glued to ply with Super 77. I rough cut with my bandsaw and then use a faceplate sander to sand down to to final size. Holes are drilled in the vertical drill press. One hole is closer to the edge than the others. This is the bottom of the bulkhead
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:29 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
3mm (1/8) Balsa doublers trimmed to fit and installed These are essential as a 200W+ motor will rip the depron right off (I speak from personal experience).

The landing gear plate is installed allong with some reinforcing on top.
Later on the foam will be cut away to expose the plate. Note the foam will be left overhanging the plate at the front by 5mm

Bukhead is glued in with 5 minute epoxy. I like the polyurethane glue I trust epoxy (Later on I will turn the fuz over and create a glue fillet with the polyturethange glue.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:31 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Now you can glue the top deck on.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 01:46 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Sorry NumbSkull I missed the question re the films. I believe that Solite (Solarfilm Lite) is lighter than Monokote. I haven't tried either on foam however I have seen regular Solarfilm used on polystyrene foam with very good results.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:53 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Fin, rudder, tailplane and elevator cut out and ready for hingeing.

Now you might guess that I am building a Stik.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 04:57 AM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
I've tried all sorts of hinges. One method I'm partial to is the floppy disk hinge. The main reason is that I love smashing apart floppy disks.
Seriously they make a good easy hinge. I drill holes in them and use polyurethane glue which foams and expands into the holes locking them into the foam.

The depron is easy to slit with a sharp knife. I also piercve the middle with a pin so that I get half of the hinge into each side. Once set up I remove the pins.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 12:15 PM
Krasnodar, RUSSIA
Joined Nov 2004
1,027 Posts
Good online building!

I built this plane two years ago.
Vinyl covered 6 mm grey depron. WS 1 meter.
ViktorF is offline Find More Posts by ViktorF
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:16 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Nice looking model Viktor. I'm impressed, most of my models do not survive for two years.

I would certainly like a $1 for every Stik model that has been built over the years.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:31 PM
Joined Oct 2005
49 Posts
would this be a good trainer?
Schnupper is offline Find More Posts by Schnupper
Old Mar 16, 2006, 05:49 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Yes and No.
Probably not as it is. Without dihedral it needs to be flown all the time and is not inherently stable. Having said that if the wing is built with some dihedral then the model has the configuration of a typical trainer. I'm sure it would be a reasonable trainer in this format. The model itself is certainly cheap and reasonably robust. The other item of note is that it is a taildragger. Trainer's these days are typically trike's which makes the ground handling a little easier.
Personally all my models bar one have been taildraggers although I have flown quite a few students models that have had trike gear. I don't believe that the taildragger is much more difficult they both have to be steered on the ground. The main difference is in the rotation. I usually just let my taildraggers take off when they are ready.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 10:03 PM
I used to be all thumbs...
United States, KS, Pittsburg
Joined Mar 2005
7,061 Posts
Okay, here some pics of mine. I've got the parts cut, and the fuse has been dry fit. I need to cut a servo hole in the top of the back deck, and add some mounting points for servos. I'm toying with the idea of hot glue, but I like the idea of the wood and using screws. Not sure yet which way I'll go. I'm wanting to cover it, so the wood and screws is the best option I think.

I need to glue it up, and would like to tonight, but I just finished another long day, and might not get it glued up tonight.

Been thinking of the landing gear, Might try some spare Mini Funtana carbon fiber gear that I have on hand.

I'll post more pics as I keep moving along with it.

The cuts turned out better then I thought they would being by hand. When I started, I had thought I would just not use the tabs, and just glue it up with pins to hold it in place, but it actually cuts pretty well by hand, Some of my cuts got a bit off, but nothing the poly glue and some shrink covering wont take care of.

I also considered cutting out some of the foam on the fuse to make it even lighter, but I'll be honest, it's pretty light already. I might do it if I build another one.
NumbSkull is offline Find More Posts by NumbSkull
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:42 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Looks good NumbSkull. I'd better get a move on or you will end up ahead of me.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 05:10 PM
Team FlightPower AUS
Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2002
630 Posts
Tail feathers all hinged and horns glued in.