HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2002, 08:46 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
FMS questions

i'm using a gateway pent III laptop on windows 98. anyways i just got an FMS cable for mt 8UHFS tx, but i can't get the transmitter to calibrate. what am i doing wrong? any steps i might have missed?

p.s. is the parallel port aka: LPT1?
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Last edited by petn7; Jun 27, 2002 at 08:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2002, 11:36 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
oh, and the parallel port gets kinda warm; is that normal?
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:36 AM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
LPT is a parallel port designation, the number refers to the port number hence LPT1 is parallel port number 1.

Is your Tx OFF when you are using FMS? I seem to recall that certain Tx' require their power to be off while others need to be on.

If your parallel port is getting warm it is an indication that current is flowing (and for a port to get warm that means there is most likely an abnormal amount of current flow).

You may want to double check that the manufacturer of your interface cable did indeed send you the correct cable.

Regards,
Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Jun 28, 2002, 08:07 AM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
but what i need to know are the settings in IRQ and stuff. i do have them already at 378 and 7 IRQ like helihobbywebsite mentions. yes, i am in PPM mode and i have tried it with the transmitter off and on, and i have tried it in "regular" and CCPM mode also.

what about haveing the parallel port plugged in whe i boot up th ecomputer and stuff'? what about some settings in windows that may have messed with the parallel port?

oh, how do i test the thinig in DOS mode? why would i be doing this?
Old Jun 28, 2002, 08:23 AM
Canada, NB, Fredericton
Joined May 2002
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petn7
what about haveing the parallel port plugged in whe i boot up th ecomputer and stuff'? what about some settings in windows that may have messed with the parallel port?
A lot of laptops have non-standard LPT ports. Some don't enable the port unless a device is plugged in when they are turned on (or woken up from sleep). Some may just not provide enough voltage, or be too far out of spec.
darkith is offline Find More Posts by darkith
Old Jun 28, 2002, 09:11 AM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
what about the trainer function being inhibited? i made it active and held the top right trainer switch when i tried calibration, but nothing happened; it's like the transmitter doesn't even exist
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:47 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Well then it sounds like your port(s) are turned off on your laptop.

If your comfortable in doing so (read experienced here), go into your Start->Settings->Control Panel->Device Manager and look at the 'Ports' settings.

You may need to re-list the index on "Devices by connection" to truly verify if the OS is recognizing your LPT port(s).

Go to the device (LPT port in this instance) and check the configuration settings to make sure it is 'enabled', then try again.

Have the Tx plugged into the port when you start up FMS...

Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Last edited by Wild Moose; Jun 28, 2002 at 01:49 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2002, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
looked at the ports and eveything seems to be ok. the 2 ports are the communications port(COM1) and the printer port (LPT1)

after clikcing on the printer port it says:

Device type: Ports (COM & LPT)
Manufacturer: (Standard port types)
Harware version: Not available

Device Status:
"This device is working properly."

the driver files are C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32.vxd (vcomm.vxd) and C:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM/LPT.VXD

for resources, the input/output range is "0378 - 037F" and the interrupt request is "07"

anybody see anything wrong with those things?
Old Jun 28, 2002, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
anybody here able to get the futaba 8UHFS tx to work with FMS?