Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 18, 2007, 07:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrrEagle!
I want to do a couple of foamies that I can not find plans for, namely a Cessna 150 Aerobat and a P-47 Thunderbolt.

I have access to a projector for my laptop...

My question is, if I simply use the projector to shine the 3 view image of a given plane and adjust it to the scale I would like, say a 28-34 inch wingspan, and draw directly onto the FFF would I likely end up with a flyable plane or are the real-world dimensions often unacceptable for our application?

(Wow that is one run-on sentence! My wife, the teacher would scold me! )

Thanks for any advice or input!
I have a Comet Cessna 150 Aerobat (29" wingspan, scale 1"=1-1/8') model, fresh in the box, vintage 1975. It is supposedly "True Scale" according to the print on the box, whatever that means. I had never looked at the plans until now; but I see they are printed in both German and English.

Now, for your idea for scaling three-views. IMO, it's an excellent idea, but ...

Keep in mind that the images created from a projection system may not be as accurately rendered (because of distortion of the image) as those you would get from scaling the three-view with a computer program.

While RastaPrint would be an attractive alternative it it were available, there are other alternatives that are much more likely to stand the test of time, e.g., iText, a free Java library for creating and manipulating PDF files.

With iText, the creation of a scaled three-view PDF from a source three-view is very simple:

1. Create a PDF document
2. Add the source image to the PDF document
3. Tile the PDF, if needed
4. Print the tiled PDF

One advantage of this approach is that you can build directly on the tiled plans, once you have taped the parts together. If you destroy them in the process, it is easy to print another set of tiles.

If you're still in Auburn, I can show you how to do all of the above. Otherwise, we could do an example of your C-150 Aerobat via this forum.

Cheers,

Bill Segraves
Auburn, AL
segraves is offline Find More Posts by segraves
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2007, 10:00 PM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
While RastaPrint would be an attractive alternative it it were available, there are other alternatives that are much more likely to stand the test of time
RastaPrint IS available. The mass market product is now tentatively called "Arts & Crafts Design Studio" (name pending copyright) and retails $195 in it's introductory version. Ten times more copies sold in the last two days than the RastaPrint version here in a month at 10 bucks
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old May 18, 2007, 10:59 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber
RastaPrint IS available. The mass market product is now tentatively called "Arts & Crafts Design Studio" (name pending copyright) and retails $195 in it's introductory version. Ten times more copies sold in the last two days than the RastaPrint version here in a month at 10 bucks
Thanks, Cubber, for that information.

Apparently, Google's search engine hasn't found it yet. Please provide a link.

Best wishes for your success with the new incarnation of RastaPrint.

Bill Segraves
Old May 19, 2007, 12:22 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by segraves
Apparently, Google's search engine hasn't found it yet. Please provide a link.
That'll take a while. So many things to do. Find a software publisher/distributor, print boxes, hire a graphics artists to take care of the product image, etc... that did not prevent me to brew a quick package, consign a couple hundreds of 'early packages' at a large software store in the area, owner's a friend a mine. For now, he's my only sales force, but people react real well when he says "you can call the guy the guy who wrote this... here's his phone number, he lives a 10 minutes drive from here"
Old May 19, 2007, 01:12 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Where it started
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455470
Tile printing and much more
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482875
Rastaprint's corner
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=675515&pp=100
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old May 19, 2007, 01:39 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Thank you Rick

RP for RC will be back, sometimes not too far away. Will probably be called RP4RC. If everything goes according to plans, RP4RC will generate cutting files for CNC foam cutting machines by the end of this week to come and making airfoiled wing panels. I also have my mind set on laser cutters, and laser cutting services. Everything is being planned to assemble cutting jobs from parts libraries
Old May 23, 2007, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrrEagle!
How would one go about printing that at the size needed?

<snip>
I take it it is a prog that will tile the pic automatically?

I prefer the bubble canopy P-47 as opposed to the razorback...

Thanks!
Among the many solutions:

1. You can use iText to scale an image (or PDF) to any size needed, rendering same as a PDF file.
2. You can use iText to tile a PDF.
3. There's a nice plan for the P-47 in the current issue of Flying Models.

I've written iText-Java class, ScaleImage, to do the scaling in item 1 above. ScaleAndTileImage does both the scaling in 1 and the tiling in 2 in one run of the program. ScaleAndTilePDF does 1 and 2 above for PDF files.

See thread "ScaleImage ..." in Foamies(Scratchbuilt) for more details.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Last edited by segraves; May 26, 2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added ScaleAndTileImage and ScaleAndTilePDF
Old May 23, 2007, 01:04 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Projector would work.

I would still say RastaPrint is the easiest way to go. These were prepared ready to print in less than 60 seconds.
I think he wanted the single pitot-static system model.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves
Old Nov 02, 2007, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,934 Posts
Quote:
Cubber, I see Fisher-Price is offering a product for kids called "Digital Arts & Crafts Studio". Mighty close to your name. Hope you're able to cash in on it.

Cheers,
Bill Segraves