HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2002, 05:24 PM
Heart of Texas
Joined Apr 2002
95 Posts
3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive

There have been several posts on this issue, but none that address the issue as well as this explanation I found on another site.

3M recently made a formula change to their Super 77 Spray Adhesive, to meet the new California Air Quality Management District Rule 1168. This required the solvent cyclohexane in the old 3M Super 77 formula to be replaced with acetone. If used inappropriately, acetone-based adhesives can dissolve the EPS and Styrofoam components of your foam model. The 3M corporation suggests the use of 3M Insulation 78 Spray Adhesive as a replacement adhesive for the bonding of Styrofoam. The formula change does not affect application onto EPP foam.

To determine if you have the new or old formula, check the can. The old formula is packaged in the familiar, all black can. The new formula can is dark orange fading to brown and finally to black. Read the contents on the back of the can to be absolutely certain which formula you have. Following the word “Contains”, the old formula lists “cyclohexane” as the first ingredient. The new formula lists “acetone” as the first ingredient.

Follow these procedures when using the new Super 77 formula on foam. Practice on a piece of scrap foam to get the hang of it.

To apply Super 77 spray adhesive prior to taping or covering, hold the can 18 inches from the surface and apply a light coat. Allow15 minutes drying time between coats. Apply a second (and third, if needed) light coat.

To join foam pieces together (or to some other material), spray some adhesive into a disposable paper cup (remember what it does to foam?). Stir the glue for about 15 minutes to evaporate the acetone. With a small brush or a piece of scrap foam, apply thin coats of the glue to the surfaces to be joined. 5-minute epoxy is a more foam-friendly way to make these joints.

Remember to check behind the new formula cans to see if there are any old formula cans hidden away. California is getting to be a real pain in the rear. Now I read in Model Aviation that the FAA out there has determined that it has the authority to regulate model planes too. What's next?
culiv is offline Find More Posts by culiv
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2002, 10:07 PM
FL
Joined May 2001
60 Posts
Isn't California just waiting to fall off the earth anyways (from some big earthquake that's supposed to happen out there?). Californian's are kinda weird anyways, why don't we just let them go and become their own country, that way we won't be punished by all their laws.
Wade is offline Find More Posts by Wade
Old Jun 28, 2002, 08:57 PM
windsor,ontario,canada
Joined Jun 2001
469 Posts
We have the same problem here in Canada its called Quebec. They want there own country also, but they want the rest of us to pay for it. We already give hem $3.00 for every $1.00 they pay in taxes(but its CDN money worth about 3 Cents in U.S. money).
adaptabl is offline Find More Posts by adaptabl
Old Jun 29, 2002, 05:48 PM
Heart of Texas
Joined Apr 2002
95 Posts
Be sure you check the ingredients, not the color of the can. I found some smaller cans that were all black, but have acetone as the solvent instead of cyclohexane. The color isn't going to be a sure thing.
culiv is offline Find More Posts by culiv
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:26 PM
Joined Jul 2008
20 Posts
Has anyone tried the 3M Styrofoam adhesive or FoamFast 74?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...E02LECIE204A00
foamiez is offline Find More Posts by foamiez
Old Mar 20, 2009, 06:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
20 Posts
Tme MSDS Sheet for FoamFast 74 says 7-13% acetone
foamiez is offline Find More Posts by foamiez
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:08 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
7 year bump!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
At least someone's using the Search Forum!
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:15 AM
USA, OK, Claremore
Joined Oct 2008
74 Posts
I used the 3m 74 no problems with it. Cost me $10.00 at a auto paint store.
Thanks
don
darmstrong is offline Find More Posts by darmstrong
Old Mar 21, 2009, 01:20 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
Guess what- I unknowingly sprayed the two layers of Depron in making a large laminated wing- I used 3M super 77 in black can- ingredients listed acetone. Adhesive dried in a couple minutes, and I joined the sheets of Depron. No problem at all- wing is strong. Lucky, I guess; if you use this adhesive, spray it lightly, dry it quick- a heat gun would help. This adhesive has a strong bond!

Sammy
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy