HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:24 PM
Jeff Fokker
Northern Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
41 Posts
Build Log
Ford Tri-Motor - 99.99% done

A few more photos of the Ford. All that is needed are cooling vent/louvers in the wing engine nacelles, engine & prop decals, scale prop hubs and a bunch of money to buy the other two motors, speed controllers and batteries.
Jeff Fokker is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Fokker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:26 PM
Jeff Fokker
Northern Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
41 Posts
4 more photos
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:39 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
Stll think the windows should have been black, not silver...still it really looks the part.

Do you mean people PAID to fly in those?
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:52 PM
Jeff Fokker
Northern Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
41 Posts
vintage1:
Tried black at first. Looked phoney. Too much contrast.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 02:52 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,741 Posts
Looks magnificent Jeff - and you're not the only one who has to save up their pennies to buy their bits

Vintage - I'm not sure about black either - on some windows it's OK- maybe the Trimotor just has it's blinds drawn!

whoops - Jeff just posted about black - that was what I was going to say - glass generally reflects the sky/ground etc.

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:50 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
From Vintage 1:

>Do you mean people PAID to fly in those?

(raises hand meekly) I did !

Trivia question: On later production models, why were the windshields canted outward at the top?

Concerning the windows, rather than black, wouldn't a more gray-ish tint maybe set them off better?

Gorgeous piece of craftsmanship in any case.

Bill(oc)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:07 PM
Jeff Fokker
Northern Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
41 Posts
Bill:

Tried gray as well. The silver looked better. Just my opinion though.

The tilted out windshields were on the 6ATC's. Mine is a 5ATC. Do not know why. Maybe it solved a glare problem or it might have been better air flow with the side windows open. Just a guess.
Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:22 PM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Superb model, Jeff.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Mar 10, 2006, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Jeff:

Bingo about the glare problem. Many moons ago i read that on nightime landing approaches, the windshield would catch city light reflections real bad, which was cured by canting the windshields out.

Bill
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
723 Posts
Jeff

Nice subject to model , not exactly an easy one but you have done it proud . How about shading the windows with a bit of blue or a copy a picture and cover it with a thin clear plastic and double stick it in place . My wife and I have both flown in the Ford Tri-motors here in Ohio .They used them to fly out to the islands ( Put-In -Bay ) back in the last century . My wife has also flown in a Stinson trimotor at Oshkosh ( EAA fly in ). I had to work the show while she was taking pictures from the co-pilots seat . Good luck on your maiden flight .

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Mar 10, 2006, 08:13 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484
Jeff

Nice subject to model , not exactly an easy one but you have done it proud . How about shading the windows with a bit of blue or a copy a picture and cover it with a thin clear plastic and double stick it in place . My wife and I have both flown in the Ford Tri-motors here in Ohio .They used them to fly out to the islands ( Put-In -Bay ) back in the last century . My wife has also flown in a Stinson trimotor at Oshkosh ( EAA fly in ). I had to work the show while she was taking pictures from the co-pilots seat . Good luck on your maiden flight .

Mike1484
As a kid, I flew in a tri-motor too in Ohio - was that the one they called the "shortest airline in the world"? I still have a souviner patch somewhere..
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:22 PM
By Grace Alone
East Texas
Joined Jul 2004
103 Posts
Jeff, what a terrific job! A real work of art. Be sure to post flight photos along with your report.

Lee
LeeHoss is offline Find More Posts by LeeHoss
Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:44 AM
Jeff Fokker
Northern Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
41 Posts
Thanks gentlemen. This is one time I can honestly say that the plane looks better in person because while taking photographs normally hides a multitude of sins, the reflected light off the corrugations makes the skin looked damaged in various spots. I will be taking videos of it's maiden flight but I am wondering on how I would post it. I have a lot of friends out west who would like to see it. Thanks again.
Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:34 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
973 Posts
Beautiful, Jeff.

There's a 4-AT-E for sale on eBay at the moment, with some nice reference photos.
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Mar 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Jeff, beautiful rendition of a grand old aircraft. Here where I live, the Ford Tri-Motor was used to haul freight, supplies, and people into short narrow backcountry airstrips in the wilds of Idaho and Montana. Johnson Flying Service, out of Missoula, Montana used them for many years.

Many years ago, I recall reading a book about Johnson Flying service, in the era when these planes were in use. I don't recall the authors name, but the title of the book was "Tall Timber Pilots". It's a good read, if you are interested in this type of thing, and can still find the book.

Great job, congratulations!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce