HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2006, 05:50 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,038 Posts
Discussion
how in the world am i going to solder this??

soldering isnt a big deal for me, been doing it for quite some time. but, i think i've hit a wall.

i got my .3 gram RX from Nick Leichty, and have been getting the rest of the parts together for my 5" proxflyer. Nick also sent me some caps for the motors (i was getting lots of glitches). i guess i dont really know what i was expecting, but when i looked at how incredibly small these things are, i was floored. my Weller soldering iron is a 60W, so i'll be looking for a new iron, and the tip i've been using that i thought was so small now looks monsterous.

how am i going to solder these to the motor wires? any suggestions or ideas? i really have no idea how i'm going to go about this.

thanks,
nick

edit: had an idea: CA the cap to the bell of the motor, strip a tiny portion of each motor wire and solder to the cap. would this work? i know the caps are supposed to be as close to the motor as possible, but is there such thing as too close?
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Mar 09, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2006, 06:42 PM
riverside, CA
Joined Feb 2003
725 Posts
clamp whatever it is you are soldering it to down and grab it with a tiny tweezer, hold your breath, and hope the solder lands where you want it!
just joking. Try a drop of glue to hold it to the back of the motor while you solder it. Thats how I did it with my micro flier radio rx
caseyjholmes is offline Find More Posts by caseyjholmes
Old Mar 09, 2006, 06:43 PM
riverside, CA
Joined Feb 2003
725 Posts
lol, just saw your edit. You got the right idea =)
just be careful of heat
caseyjholmes is offline Find More Posts by caseyjholmes
Old Mar 09, 2006, 07:50 PM
greensboro NC
Joined Oct 2004
166 Posts
Saw the dots {LOL} on your finger in the pic.....guess i need a better mag-glass to play with this new micro stuff...getting smaller and lighter all the time....but that is good just hard on old eyes lol Jeff
growermn is offline Find More Posts by growermn
Old Mar 09, 2006, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
Hey Micro,

Get one of these suction cup dodads. I use it all the time and notice the other size suction cups. It is indispensible for holding small parts.

You squeeze the bulb to hold, then squeeze again to let go............COOL

The Fonz
The Fonz is offline Find More Posts by The Fonz
Old Mar 09, 2006, 08:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,113 Posts
when you get this size i would suggest getting a good weller or Goot solder station with adjustable temperature and a few small tips
merc-blue is offline Find More Posts by merc-blue
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:12 PM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Nick,

That looks like a 0402 size cap (or is it smaller?). I almost always need to work under a microscope for this size. Definitely you need a small tip that's in good condition, and tiny diameter solder. If you have some super sharp tweezers (basically needle-sharp), you can also hold the body of the cap down while you solder. However, if you don't press straight down on the center of the cap, you may send it flying and you'll never find it.

I find it convenient to cut little bits of solder ("caterpillar poop" size) and place them on the pcb pad next to the cap terminal, then I just quickly hit it with the iron. If you aren't soldering to PCB pads, you could use a bit of flux to hold the tiny bit of solder where it needs to be. Also, since you use only a tiny bit of solder, this helps control the effect of capillary action that will grab the cap and attach it to your tip.

Good Luck!

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:16 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,534 Posts
Might be a case where a good conductive epoxy is the best solution.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Mar 09, 2006, 10:16 PM
why wont it fly
south africa
Joined Jan 2006
221 Posts
have you considderd hot air and solder paste approach?
dylan roberts is offline Find More Posts by dylan roberts
Old Mar 09, 2006, 11:09 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,481 Posts
select a piece of bare copper wire and wrap around your iron tip and one end can be shaped and tinned to form a tiny tip
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod
Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:21 AM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
5-8 W soldering gun, microtip - magnifier headset or binocular microscope - microscissors fixed to three hands - calm hands - GO!!!
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:59 AM
Stupid ground....
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Jun 2005
209 Posts
Why so small??? It is to go from the can motor terminals to ground, isn't it? Just get the appropriate value leaded cap from Radio Shack and use that. Will cost you pennies vs $100.00 for a soldering station you'll rarely need. Parts like that are meant for high density applications where you have very little room and lots of parts to put in there. Be careful about the superglue thing though... Superglue puts off some of the most obnoxious fumes I've ever seen when heated.

Jarod Matwy
Winnipeg, Canada
matwiyj is offline Find More Posts by matwiyj
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:08 AM
Texas, Plano, USA
Joined Jan 2005
810 Posts
fumes have cyanide in them - not too healthy
anestho is offline Find More Posts by anestho
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:30 AM
I crash A LOT
Joined Jan 2006
33 Posts
Those ceramic caps are really only meant to be soldered on to a PCB. The way the metal solder points are bonded to the ceramic provides a fairly weak mechanical interface. Be careful wit those things.

Anyway, tweezers are the way to go when you want to place them. The suction deal is most likely too big. When I place 0402 sized components with a vacuum tip I usually do it with a 30 gauge syringe tip.

BTW: 0402's are a pain to solder without a microscope. You never know if you got a good solder joint. 0201's (about half that size) are a real pain.
WhiteHot is offline Find More Posts by WhiteHot
Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
it looks like 0603, no big deal.

You need good tweezers, spend some cash get pointy non magnetic ones.

Tin both ends of the cap, tin the wires you intend to attach it to. Hold one end to one wire and dap with the iron as soon as it melts its soldered. Then do the other end, be quick, just a dab. You don't need an expensive soldering station you can do this with a hot nail.

These things are VERY cheap so buy a load if you want and you can play till your hearts content.

Graham

p.s.

cyno will burn
suction cups will melt if used during soldering
so small because a leaded one will weigh as much as his RX
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler