HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2006, 03:37 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,455 Posts
I just posted in the ParkFlyer forum on this plane...its my very first plane...I had no issues and it flew great in 10mph winds...I even landed it in the grass (launched it from a raod). I forgot to put the wing struts on and it still flew great but I only did scale flying. I am a heli guy with a little G2 airplane sim time...maybe 2 hours. She flies fast on the EFilte 370 bl with a 3S lipo...I never went above 1/2 throttle and that was only into the wind.

I had no errors with mine. I love it....best $70 I ever spent. I had two gasser guys with me incase I got in trouble...they loved it and are planning to pick one up as well.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2006, 01:31 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2005
235 Posts
OK,

I was one of the first to post a review of this plane in this forum. I accept the reviews posted here, but I think some balance is missing.

1) On my kit, the snaps that the struts push into on the wing were misaligned/mismeasured. It was physically impossible to put the struts on the plane I had to measure and place the snap myself.

2) The Struts are built poorly. The "male" joining end of the snaps pulled right out as soon asthe were applied to the wing/fuse. Rdiculous and frustrating, workign around the struts took a long time.

3) The "sanding" of the tail is not just a 5 minute job. I had to sand mine time and agian, refitting the stabilizer each time and praying I didn't pull it aprt or tear the fuse. Ot of the box, the stabilizer tilted 25 deg to one side. Not a "fine tuning" adjustment.

4) BEWARE, it is annoying and difficult to install the propeller on this plane. If you try to do it with the cowl on, you're in for a long and tedious process of trying to secure the prop while you can't hold the shaft - have fun! The cowl won't fit over an engine with an installed prop. Ridiculous build. I ended up cutting a slit in the cowl so I could screw on the prop, and basicly pull apart the cowl to fit over the engine.

5) The wheels are quite small. Sure they're scale, I just hope you have the smoothest asphalt strip in the world. Even a small peice of gravel tears the pants.

Once in the air the plane flew great... until one of the screws that held one of the coontrol rods fell out of the aileron. I got the plane down to 6 feet, but it took a header in the dirt, sperating the balsa motor stick from the foam innards. Basically, a trashed fuse.

Becasue I had so much difficulty getting the plane built, and the fact that to re-build it I have to buy a new fuse and tale (that stabilizer is glued in), and becasue I felt the kit quality was SO BELOW PAR for E-flite, I made a decison to walk away from a bad investment and put the money into a better built kit.

Sorry, I just couldn't disagree with this review more.
Prep I is offline Find More Posts by Prep I
Old Jun 13, 2006, 08:54 AM
Joined Mar 2004
51 Posts
Sorry to hear you had so much trouble with your Cessna.

Since doing the review I've heard good and bad about the kit. I didn't
experience any of the problems I've heard of. I suppose, like anything
else, it's possible to get a bad one.

This was my first "Foam kit" and I was leery at first, and had no
experience to compare it to. But it turned out to be a great flying
little plane. It finally met its demise due to a bad battery connector.
Probably my fault on the soldering, but I'll blame it on the
connector.

My stab was just a fine tuning adjustment. Wow, 25 degrees! Man, I
wouldn't have even tried to fix that myself, I guess I would've called
the manufacturer about exchanging the fuselage. In my experience, most
manufacturers will do their best to make things right if you encounter
problems like this.

Once again sorry you had problems. Mine was great.
RichN is offline Find More Posts by RichN
Old Jun 13, 2006, 07:54 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2005
235 Posts
No argument with you Rich. Maybe there is some newer version of the kits that have better QC; and you got one, maybe I just got unlucky. The thing of it is, I'm not finding many people with much differnt luck. Check out this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416690

When the thread begins, a bunch of people (including myself) are writing how much they anticipate the release of this plane and how great it looks. Then you begin to see reality as all of us began to assemble this kit and found so many problems with it.

I will say that some of the posters have complained to E-Flite and have gotten offers from the company for new kits ect..., and that's a real stand up move by the company. Still, I just wish they'd fix this plane. I think with some better design and some qc, it could be a winner. Mine flew great for 7 minutes.

One interesting note, this plane has been out for some time, and I have not seen a sinlge review on it from the major RC mags. My guess is the plane was poorly reviewed, and a decision was reached not to review it. Every other E-Flite plane has been reviewed, and glowingly so.

Also, notice there is no continuous, long running thread for this plane. I think if it had the QC to make it a winner, we'd be seeing long, continuous threads on this plane. But we don't.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 07:34 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
Read post #87 in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=416690&page=4

It documents my experience with telling Horizon what a POS this plane is. I must be the only person that talked to them about the issues with the kit. Looks to me like we have about 14 negative experiences and 2, maybe 3 positive. I completely built their P47 in maybe 1/3rd the time I have spend getting half of the work done on the Cessna. Not up to the bar they set themselves in my opinion.
gouda is online now Find More Posts by gouda
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:30 AM
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2005
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda
Read post #87 in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=416690&page=4

It documents my experience with telling Horizon what a POS this plane is. I must be the only person that talked to them about the issues with the kit. Looks to me like we have about 14 negative experiences and 2, maybe 3 positive. I completely built their P47 in maybe 1/3rd the time I have spend getting half of the work done on the Cessna. Not up to the bar they set themselves in my opinion.

Gouda,

I bought a P47 from E-fltie and shelved the kit when I saw the Cessna. I thought:

"Well this looks much easier to build than the P47! I'll buy the Cessna, build it, get my feet wet with aileron planes then build the more complex P47."

After my incredibly frustrating expereince with the Cessna, the P47 box has been sitting in my hose for 6 months. I am so glad you posted a less-frustrating experience. Just based on the fact there are what, like 3 or 4 massive P47 threads all singing its praises and not a single overwhelmingly positive thread about the Cessna should tell all of us that people are NOT enjoying this kit. I'll start the P47 next week.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:50 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
2,000 Posts
You'll like it. It a great looking plane. The only area to watch is the covers on the bottom of the wing. I had them come loose after some time passed, but a bit of clear taped fixed that is 30 seconds.
gouda is online now Find More Posts by gouda
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:47 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Oct 2005
235 Posts
Incredibly biased review in Fly RC of this model out today.

The reviewer points out: 1) His wing struts were flimsy, delcate and broke often. Requireing re-gluing, repairing and rebuilding.

2) The strut-snaps on the plane were mis-aligned, and required him to adjust them.

3) He got two "right" struts instead of a left and right.

4) He also felt these peices of equipment were vital to the operation of the plane, but that the manufacturer would fix the problem eventually. Huh????

But he felt this model assembeled easily.

WHAT A LOAD!!!

Never again will I believe a review in the print media. E-flight just has too many dollars to spend.
Old Nov 03, 2006, 04:10 AM
matt the cat
strongsville ohio
Joined Oct 2005
669 Posts
i have glassed my e-flight cessna. it will be done with in a few days i will post pics and video.of it. in fact i will be glassing 3 of these planes . 2 that will go on e-bay with all radio eq, installed. hang in there for pics. just a few more days prgress is going great. i am using polyureathne water based along with 3/4 glass adds almost nothing to all up weight of plane.this adds loads of strength to the plane and i will be putting all scale ddecals back on them after a nice new white paint job.
matthew james is offline Find More Posts by matthew james
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:27 AM
R/C CRASHER
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Dec 2004
854 Posts
hey guys if you buy the e-flight motor(400 bl outrunner) the plane is free!! check it out on the horizon website
tkoguy is offline Find More Posts by tkoguy
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoguy
hey guys if you buy the e-flight motor(400 bl outrunner) the plane is free!! check it out on the horizon website
Not exactly. Actually, you wind up paying $70 for a $60 motor with a box of useless foam thrown in that you save Horizon Hobby the trouble of carting to the dumpster.
Bruce Schwartz is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Schwartz
Old Jan 09, 2007, 07:50 PM
Raleigh (area), NC
Joined Jun 2006
79 Posts
I bought one of these for the motor (needed one anyway) and to hang the plane in my son's room as a decoration... How ya like that! Worth the $20 to me
rstoomanyhobbies is offline Find More Posts by rstoomanyhobbies
Old Jun 04, 2007, 02:47 PM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I receive dmine which I purchased from another rcgrouper. It has minor defects such as scrapes etc. but seems ok. The verdict isn't in yet, as I haven't attempted to build it yet, it does seem very fragile.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Feb 06, 2008, 09:37 AM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
I also recieved one from a fellow RCGer, It also had very minor problems (struts not holding and alignment) but is a easy fix. The power/climb is great on a eflight park 400 BL and 10x7 prop.

The plane is very light and fly's beautifully, A few coats of poly on the wing will add strength if desired. I have not done this as I like how it is now and don't want to add the weight.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
44 Posts
ive been thinking about getting one they look pretty cool but obviously they have a few issues
bmangdog is offline Find More Posts by bmangdog