There are four lights!
Santa Cruz, C.A.
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Discussion
Bombardier CL 415 Waterbomber

Has anyone ever built one of these?
This would be a totally cool project, if you could
make it functional. Not sure how, though.
kcar is offline Find More Posts by kcar
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2006, 02:30 AM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 1999
1,613 Posts
Try a search on CL415 and CL215 in the Scale and Waterplanes forums - there have been quite a few of these built from several different sources of kits and plans. All of them seem to fly well, but I don't think any have been done with the functional pickup/drop system yet. Those pics look like they're from the Okanagan fire near Kelowna a couple of years ago. They threw everything at that monster burn! There were fleets of the CL 215 and 415 types, lots of ground based tankers, and the only 2 remaining Martin Mars in the world. Quite an amazing fleet of firefighters!
Brad.
Brad Trent is offline Find More Posts by Brad Trent
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:45 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,194 Posts
kcar

There is a 'Waterplane' forum, here's a link to a CL215, CL415 thread -

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=cl415

The link was found by going to the Waterplane forum, clicking the 'Search this forum' and entering CL415, you could do similar searches for any flying boats this way.
Good luck.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 09, 2006, 10:41 AM
There are four lights!
Santa Cruz, C.A.
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Thanks, Ray!
I did a couple of searches, came up with nothing, posted this,
then found the waterplane forum and the above link.

What do ya think the possiblity of making one functional is?
Water is very heavy. And hard to contain, and scoop.

Kcar
kcar is offline Find More Posts by kcar
Old Mar 09, 2006, 12:33 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,194 Posts
Are you thinking of actually scooping up water, climbing, and then discharging the load?

If so, imagine carrying a 2 litre bottle of water onboard your plane, that's heavy to start with, then imaging dumping 2 litres of water at say 100 feet away, would you actually see it?

It's a nice thought, but like fitting proper engine sounds in a model, at our scale, everything has to be very close to see or hear anything.

I know some of the people who have modelled crop duster, have used talcum powder, but again not very visable.

You certainly would'nt want to fly that close that you douse yourself, (and transmitter), in water.

Every thing is possible, it's just are all the problems worth the effort and risk, (like hitting the water with a scoop down?), to the model.

The bigger the model, the greater the chance of success. Go for it if you really want to.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Mar 09, 2006, 05:15 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
I know that MAN had a construction article and plans for one years ago for electric power.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:25 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,102 Posts
Somebody also had plans for a larger engine powered version. The only example I ever saw had a tendency to lift off into a nose high attitude and then snap roll into the ground. I think I also saw a large scale kit available.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:39 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,507 Posts
check out www.mraerodesign.com as they have a nice set for glow that I was going to build for another RC Group member a few years back.

Making functional pickups actually wouldn't be that hard. I've studied the pickup system and its really quite simple how it works. Sealing the bay doors is the real trick.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2006, 12:19 AM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
I have some 6' plans for a CL215 and have been figuring out a way to build the scoop system. That is actually the easy part and will post some plans soon.

The hard part is closing and sealing the doors as Paul mentions below. I think that some sort of screw actuator to open and close a hinged door would be the way to go and seal against some closed cell foam. I need a light linear actuator servo to do the job though.
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer