HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:02 PM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
Discussion
Anything better than roofer's tape?

Hey everyone. I am going to attempt to make a WW zipper w/ 5 spars and was wondering if there is any stronger way of reinforcing it without having to glass it? I am planning on useing a TP 2100 5 cell battery pack with an AON 3000kv motor. I was going to use a Pheonix 60 controller. I am still deciding on the prop, but in the mean time, what would be the strongest way to reinforce the wing?

Thanks,
Keith
Keith R. is offline Find More Posts by Keith R.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:27 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Keith at this point your drivetrain isn't verry well ballanced.Too high of voltage and to high of kv.Your setup will draw tons of amps on the little battery,Smoke will rise
The zipper doesnt need five spars 3 is suffice.
Keith get the vid it is appx the cost of a good servo and will learnya more than you think.Your wing wont crack ,and the spackel wont turn to dust on impact with my technique.
It is a lot easier than you think with the vid, and cheaper than messin it up. LOL
Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:32 PM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
EDIT: Chris, would the Thunder Power Pro Lite 4s2p 14.8v 4000mAh or the Thunder Power Pro Lite 3s4p 11.1v 8000mAh work well? Also would they be too thick/big to fit into the zipper?

Thanks,
Keith
Last edited by Keith R.; Mar 08, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2006, 09:22 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Hey keith start in the aon thread to find out what that motor can do on 4 s on a 5/5 .Or
if anyone here knows chime in .Talk with steve chao he is a great guy and knows his motors well.I have used those motors but dont remember the exacting spex ,Catahaula dave does ,but I haven seen him around for a few weeks.
give me the appx amp draw ,then I will help you with the drive train setup, bats layout and build tips.
We will get you dialed bro.
Ck
Old Mar 08, 2006, 10:00 PM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
I know for a fact that the AON can take a 4 cell lipo...because i was using a 4cell 2000 TP pack in my Trex with that motor. I PM'ed Steve...i will let you know what he says.

As for the batteries, i was thinking that it might be better (a little more $$ though) if i bought 4 TP ProLite 2cell 2100 batteries, and hooked them up together to get a 4 cell 4200 "prolite" I was thinking this because i know that the foil of the zipper is...THIN and it would fit better...

I have a pheonix 35, but i think it would be better if i used a 45 on it, but i guess i will have to wait until Steve lets me know some more about that motor.

Keep the advice comeing,
Keith
Old Mar 08, 2006, 10:21 PM
Flying Name: Crash
Joined May 2004
35 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I got a zipper 3spar with a phoenix35, mega 16-15-3, 3s2p 2100... over 100mph on a 5*5- damn thing is so fast and unlimited vertical (at less than 3/4 speed), that I am unable to keep the speed WOT for more than a few seconds at a time... with 3 spars - there's no wing wobble... 5 spars not necessary - use the extra weight in bigger battery
Boobooo is offline Find More Posts by Boobooo
Old Mar 08, 2006, 10:29 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,785 Posts
Yea I have seen them run on 4 s 2100's on 5.5 with 2 to 3 min run time with hot batteries. Your 4200 will be in way better shape keith.Direct drive prop will be a little differant than the helli ,so steve's advice might help.
Let me know what he says.Your setup should be close.
Ck
Old Mar 08, 2006, 10:34 PM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
Thanks for the info BooBoo. I think i am going to go with the 4 cell...but i am not sure which controller i should use...I am just waiting to hear back from Steven on how many amps it will pull with what prop...but i think i am going to buy a pheonix 45.

Keep the advice comeing,
Keith
Old Mar 09, 2006, 09:48 AM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
Just talked to Steven, and the Aon motor i have, the 3000 was designed around 300 watts...so what would be the best set up on a 3/4 cell that would give me the most speed?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Mar 09, 2006, 01:14 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
If it's any help, a 3s 2100 mah thunderpower fits just flush with the top of the wing with an eighth inch of foam left on bottom.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 09, 2006, 04:58 PM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
About how many watts are the Mega motors? If i were to use the 2/3 turn motor, how much more/less power would that get me?

Thanks,
Keith
Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:54 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Keith, we've talked about this before, the AON is a good deal, but doesn't have the world's highest power density. Something like the Mega or a Neu will give considerably higher power in this application. Something like 1/2 again more.

The "watt" rating of a motor is less important than the Kv and amp rating. The Kv determines the amount of load that makes the motor reach max amps with agiven amount of voltage. The more the volts you use, the greater the power available for a given amount of amps in, but in order for you to keep the motor from overheating at high voltage, you need a light load on the motor.

With your heli, you can easily gear the motor to recieve a light enough load to prevent overheating on 4s, but with a direct drive setup you need a tiny prop to get this light load.

A tiny prop equals low midrange thrust, which equals a slow zipper.

The ideal situation would be an absolutely insane amount of amps flowing through an insanely high kv motor (which generally likes high amps) with a hgih gear ratio to take adecent size prop. But the problem with that is that the motor would overspeed and break apart from centrifugal forces.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:14 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
The mega 16/15/x series have had people pushing almost 800 watts(I could be corrected) through them and they don't seem to care.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 10, 2006, 01:20 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
The best I have seen was 575 watts through the 16/15/3...with excellent airflow of course

Max amps would be about 40 with good airflow.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:44 AM
It pays to be a winner
T-Town, AZ
Joined Jun 2004
1,733 Posts
I was thinking of ordering another Mega motor anyways...which one would be the best for my application? the 2 or 3 turn?

Thanks,
Keith