HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2002, 09:29 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
983 Posts
Help me choose my next plane.

well guys, ill lay down my thoughts, and will dearly take your advice. i have a zagi 400x, great wind capability, i even fly it in rain and storms, lots of fun, but have to go to the field or by the sloped to fly it. then bought a tiger moth, simply awesome, really love it, but i wish i could fly it when its even slightly windy. i need a plane which is some where between in the speed between my zagi and the moth. somwhere around half way. basically something i can just throw in the car and go to the park when i feel like flying, and doesnt need alot of attention like the zagi. i was almost certain about getting a switchback, but ive never had a plane with aireloins, and dont want to crash it. ive thought about a pop-fly, but people either love it or not, dont really know what to expect. it would be great if the new plane can use the qualcomms too. so please give me your ideas. i bought the servos, receiver, and speed controller. just waiting to decide on a plane. how about that new rare bear? maybe i should go for the popfly? whatever it is, i want to be able to run it without fearing that a slight gust will ground it like my moth.
compuatic is offline Find More Posts by compuatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2002, 09:41 PM
Minnesota
Joined Dec 2000
258 Posts
I saw a Sky Scooter fly at MARCEE last weekend. Very impressive for what it is.
mrtim is offline Find More Posts by mrtim
Old Jun 26, 2002, 09:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I think you will be very unhappy with the Pop Fly if you've been flying a Zagi, it is much slower and less maneuverable. I wouldn't be afraid of ailerons, if you've been flying your Zagi for long then you know the drill already! Ailerons won't be a problem for you. In fact, I think you would probably prefer ailerons over a rudder/elevator ship. I would suggest the Tiny, but you also stated you wanted some toss-it-in-the-car durability. It sounds like the Lil Hornet may be the plane for you. It's made of foam so it's durable like your Zagi, it's small enough to be powered by Qualcomms, it's got a flying speed between yuor Zagi and TM and it can handle some wind. I think it fills your requirements pretty well.

http://www.mmglidertech.com/hornet.html

But I wouldn't recommend flying ANYTHING in storms, not while you're holding that lightning rod of an antenna on your transmitter!!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 26, 2002, 10:00 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
983 Posts
tres, i actually was seriously thinking about the tiny, when i said, throw in the car and go, i really meant not starring at the window waiting for the wind to be zero so i can fly, nothing to do with durability. do u recomment a tiny for flying in a little wind ? the tiny is seriously up there on the list.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 10:13 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==do u recomment a tiny for flying in a little wind ? ==

The way I've got it set up, YES! It's designed to be a super light indoor flyer weighing in at about 4-1/2 ounces. It would not fly well outdoors in wind set up like that. But with "regular" feather gear, a bigger motor and Qualcomms, it's more in the 6-1/2 ounce range and handles wind quite well. Today when I was flying, it started out very calm. But the winds starting whipping up and blowing pretty good, I'd say close to 10 mph. The Tiny didn't seem to care, so I went right on flying! 6 mph or less winds are optimum, but it can handle stronger winds than that. Just gets a little harder to keep it upfield.
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:30 PM
San Francisco
Joined Jul 2000
982 Posts
To handle wind you need a larger airplane that is more of a parkflyer than a slowflyer. Something in between a Zagi and Tiger Moth without ailerons would be the Wingo/SoarStar/Poppy airplanes (essentially they are all the same model), one of the NeSail Virus or other high wing models or something even a tad bigger like the Miss 2. All of these models benefit from having a high wing so they are very stable and naturally self correcting when you let go of the sticks. These models fly nice and slow but with their greater mass and slightly higher wing loading will comfortably fly in STEADY (not gusty and variable) winds up to 15 mph or even more. I live right by the Pacific Ocean in San Francisco so I deal ocean breezes everytime I fly. If you must have a smaller model higher wingloading and resultant faster flying speeds are what you need to combat the wind.

Greg
greg morrison is offline Find More Posts by greg morrison
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:36 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,403 Posts
Right now my fleet consist of 2 Tiger Moths a GWS Cub FD a Switchback 3D and a Mini Max. All of them are good airplanes and I like all of them for different reasons.

I know what you are saying about the Tiger Moth. Just super fun in no wind, but more than about 4 knots and the fun factor sure goes down. Same for the Cub. My Switchback sure flys well and engineering of the kit is remarkable. But it IS a full blown building project (an enjoyable one however) The Switchback, at least the 3D model is very quick in everyway and not at all relaxing to fly. (gets your heart pumping) I wouldn't want to waste it in a crash, it is too nice.

Guess this brings me to the Mini Max. I just keep comming back to this little airplane. It just flys so well! Best part is, it WILL handle a little wind. Not a ton of wind, but it is still a gas in 10 knots. Speed wise it is quite a bit faster than the Tiger Moth but then again, what isn't? I fly my Mini Max in quite a bit of wind from time to time in a very confined area and I do it without worry. Tonight I slammed into a power line and it nosed straight into a gravel parking lot. (NO DAMAGE) It turns a lot like a TM, meaning you can make rediculously tight turns close to the ground at super slow speeds. I think many people may be turned off by the looks of the thing, however, it starts looking really good after you own and fly one! I'll bet some other Mini Max pilots reading this will agree with me?

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jun 26, 2002, 11:53 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
I'll 2nd what Tres said... If you would prefer a wing I would highly recommend the Tilde set up as direct drive with the edf fan motor but I don't think your Lithiums will hadle the 5 amps this pulls. However it flys almost as good with the DD regular GWS A motor! But it is a minature Zagi in a 26" package and is EPP Foam!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jun 27, 2002, 01:24 AM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
983 Posts
tres, hmm maybe the tiny is what i should go for. bigger motor you say? would that be the m100?

greg, i believe you are exactly on my cituation. i live in san francisco as well, very close to fort funston (where i fly my zagi). maybe we should meet sometime. man, you see how crappy the weather is lately? crazy, no summer yet. im gonna check out those planes you mentioned.

kansas, i have been checking out the mini max as well. ill check out some more posts on it.

boomer, i really like wings, but i want to try other designs as well, and if i remember correctly, i remember you said that the tilde is actually faster than a zagi right ? i am looking for something actually slower than the zagi for now.

so far, i am considering the tiny and the mini max, i am also gonna check out the planes greg mentioned.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 03:35 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
compuatic,

I'm exactly where you are and I just bought the Switchback Sport. I havent' finished building it yet but if it flies as well as everyone else reports I don't think you need be worried about it having ailerons - by the way, it's the easiest to build plane I've ever come across!

I fly a couple of other aileron planes (Twinstar and Cargo) and they actually easier to control than my other planes but I've come to the conclusion that they're just a bit too big for the park where I fly as there's often quite a lot of kids about so I'm going to join a club and only fly those there.

I've got great hopes that the Switchback is the ultimate combination of everything for real park flying including being able to handle a bit more wind than the Tiger Moth.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Jun 27, 2002, 09:12 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==bigger motor you say? would that be the m100?==

That's what I'm using in mine, but I really meant any motor that is bigger than the indoor Wes Technic motor the plane was designed for. Flytowner is using one of the new GWS twin motors on his Tiny and it sounds like a very nice setup as well, maybe better than the M100. The Tiny will also fly on a regular ol' GWS A motor, but it flies a lot slower and would therefore not handle as much wind.

Have you built a balsa kit before? The Tiny is small and therefore builds quick, but modifications are required to set it up for outdoor flight. It's kind of a cross between scratch-building and building a kit!
Old Jun 27, 2002, 12:20 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
983 Posts
tres, actually no i havent built a balsa kit before, but there is always a first time, and i am usually goodd with building stuff. so if i would want to set it up for outdoors, you recommend some modifications? it would be great if you point me in the right direction.
Old Jun 27, 2002, 02:08 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==i havent built a balsa kit before, but there is always a first time, and i am usually goodd with building stuff==

If you're good with your hands then you'll probably enjoy building a balsa kit. As for the mods, the main thing is you'll have to build your own motor mount and you'll have to work out some kind of servo mounting setup. I've got a closeup pic of my M100 mount on one of my Tiny threads, it uses the mount that comes with the Tiny and a couple of scraps of wood. A lot of people build the Tiny with coupled rudder, so there are only 2 servos. I have 3, so I put the ailo servo on top of the wing and the other 2 on rails underneath. There are pics of all of this on my other thread as well.

I did a bunch of other mods as well, but mainly it's because I like my planes set up a certain way. For example, I bent my own landing gear and added GWS wheels to make the plane sit lower to the ground. I also added some gussets in the wings and ailerons to strengthen it a bit. I sheeted the top center of the wing to clean up the appearance and provide a base for the stripe. I left the center portion of the bottom of the wing open so I could place my gear up inside the wing and still access it. I added a fixed tail wheel rather than a skid. I tied the tail surfaces to the boom with C/A'd thread for some extra strength. I also used Dubro micro connectors at the servo arms to facilitate control adjustments. By the way, I use these connectors on ALL my planes, it makes setup a breeze! Much better than putting those stupid v-bends in the control rods! I'm sure there's other stuff I can't remember right now, but nothing in this paragraph is that important, it's stuff I like to do but it isn't mandatory.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 29, 2002, 06:06 PM
Isle of Wight, UK
Joined Jun 2001
212 Posts
I'd recommend a Graupner Tipsy. It's easy to fly (it must be if I've got one) and flies fast enough to cope with a bit of wind. It glides well and the batteries last forever. I drive round with mine in the boot (trunk) of the car and fly it at every opportunity...

I'd like a TM though, for calm evenings - I don't think I've read a bad word about them anywhere!
alterego is offline Find More Posts by alterego
Old Jun 29, 2002, 07:44 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I'd like a TM though, for calm evenings - I don't think I've read a bad word about them anywhere!==

Well then you read it here first, the TM on Qualcomms flies so long that my neck gets really sore Oh and another bad thing, I get really tired of bystanders wanting to come up and talk about it while I'm flying it And lastly, the thing is so durable that you'll never get a chance to transfer the gear to another project So as you can plainly see, the TM has LOTS of flaws!