Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2006, 03:03 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Discussion
What radio do you use for gliders?

Title says it all. Which radio do you use when you go to the slope?

If you use 2 or more, which one would you keep if you could only have 1?

--Alex

PS: No, I'm not looking for a radio, just curious. This would make a good sticky
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2006, 03:10 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,642 Posts
Hitec eclipse7

for your average flyer i think its the best out there... can fly planks to full house, has a spectra module for any Channel you want and is Shift Selectable so you can fly just about any plane out there without changing anything.

the buttons kinda suck but programing is fairly easy and straightforward and everything it can do more than makes up for having to press a trim button a little hard...

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Mar 08, 2006, 04:11 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
These days, Optic6.

I started with Laser4's for flying wings because the ATVs actually adjust elevator throw separate from aileron throw when elevon mixing is on. For a basic non-computer radio, they're a good bargain in my book!

The Optic6 doesn't have quite the features of a JR9303, or some of the advanced flap abilities of an Eclipse7... But it can still do Flaperons, Spoilerons, Aileron Differential, camber & landing presets - basically ANYthing for a non-full-house plane. It can do a lot of full-house features as well, but takes a bit of fiddling with the programmable mixes and such (more features than the Eclipse7 in some ways). It is shift-selectable and extremely affordable: even with a Spectra synthesizer module it can be had regularly for $160 to $180. Finally, the 8 model memory is great for supporting an expanding fleet like mine.

All in all, I think its excellent for its price and makes a good "first computer radio" - the next step up that makes sense is a super high-end Tx (like a JR9303 or similar) because anything else is a big jump in price for only a little extra in features.

Not sure what I'm gonna get next. I had a JR 81XX series radio but sold it before I used it much. The JR manuals are worthless, but the radio menus are a little better than the Optic6. HiTec's manual is OK for advanced features, but the menus are little cryptic at times and don't support as many adjustment points as the JR systems. Of course, again there is a HUGE price difference between the two. HiTec has made noises that it is working on a 7 or 8+ channel Tx based on the Optic6 system - we'll see what it looks like when they release it...

Take care,

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Mar 08, 2006, 04:15 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Evo 9 for all my models (gliders, planes, choppers).
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Mar 08, 2006, 05:33 AM
antipodean recalcitrant
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Joined Feb 2004
3,171 Posts
Multiplex P4000 for crunchies (total overkill for my needs but I love it!). Eclipse 7 for foamy wings/planks and park flyers.
AntonL is offline Find More Posts by AntonL
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:20 AM
Marc LR - France
France - La Rochelle
Joined Sep 2004
494 Posts
Evo 9 - and very happy about it

Marc LR
marclr is offline Find More Posts by marclr
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:32 AM
Joined Jun 2005
599 Posts
Futaba 9C - love it.
guy mckenzie is offline Find More Posts by guy mckenzie
Old Mar 08, 2006, 07:36 AM
No Plane - No Gain
Platteville, CO
Joined Jan 2005
1,773 Posts
Optic 6 - Still pretty new to the game so I don't really have any others to compare it to.
TomO is offline Find More Posts by TomO
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:01 AM
racing fool
Seattle
Joined May 2005
352 Posts
JR 9303

Only 3 or 4 flights on it. I like it. Sliders, assignable switches,
6 ch. rec. for 6 servo plane, more mixing options than Ill ever use.
Much easier menu navigation than on my old JR 388s.
Elmer is offline Find More Posts by Elmer
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:05 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,267 Posts
Futaba 9C with a Hitec Flash 5x backup. The Futaba has a 256k UltraPac II that gives me more model memory than I could ever think about owning but it's cool.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:05 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
EVO 9 for gliders - I don't use most of the features but love the programming style.
Foooootaba 9C as a backup and for helicopters 'cause I haven't taken the time to figure out the EVO heli mixing.

Nauga,
who says "Indecision is the key to flexibility"
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:06 AM
dark-side of the slope
Verona Italy
Joined Jul 2005
462 Posts
Evo 9 synth
twentynine is online now Find More Posts by twentynine
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:31 AM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
I have an Futaba 8U, but am receiving an Evo 9 Synth today. (I'm pretty excited about it.)

With the Futabas up until you get to the 9Z, you waste mixes on planes with 2 servo wings (and up) when you use an Rx with less than 7 channels. The Futabas like ailerons on 1 and 7 (or sometimes 6). The Evo can put the channels anywhere and they can be controlled by any switch or joystick. One of the cooler things is the ability to change the amount of mix (ex. Flap->elevator compensation) while in flight using a dial which is pretty slick. You don't need to keep landing and reprogramming to get the amount of mix set.
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:33 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Profi 4000

Anything less would be uncivilized

While I don't often need all 12 channels the Profi 4000 offers, I absolutely love the programming and refuse to settle for anything less. Of course, with great freedom comes great responsibility, so you do have to learn to "think Multiplex" before you can get the most out of the radio. That suits me fine.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2006, 08:34 AM