HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2001, 09:43 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Twin-Ducted Fan WB-57

I've seen photos of Dan Savage's WB-57 in the past. Recently, I got Radiocarbonart's Electric Airshow video #2 video and saw this plane fly...very well on 2 ball-raced sp480's (low-wing loading). It flew like a glider (at least on video).I wish the coverage was longer. Anyway, it was exciting to know that the plane is going to be kitted. With more powerful motors available these days, that means 1/2A retracts will be possible. It would really be nice to deviate a little from the "fast EDFs" we're "so used"
to seeing and flying.

What do you guys think? Let's all twist
Dan Savage's arms to come up w/ a kit SOON !

Ron Vallejo
electricrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by electricrcflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2001, 10:31 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
I have only seen the pics of Dan's WB-57 but if it flies just happily on 2x s480BB Race's then you have some potentional of more powerful combo's.

Twin Aveox 1010/2Y for instance fed by 12-13x2400's or Kontronik FUN400-28's on 12...
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 06, 2001, 10:34 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Hey... What about me?! {:-D

Actually it is being kitted by EAM even as we speak. And yes it does fly like a glider, but can zoom if flown with energy. In it's flight-ready condition, it weighs about 5.25 lbs., so I think 1/2A retract might be a bit light. Now, the Spring-Air 600s might be just about right.

We built our WB to use the "lowest common denominator" of motors. The would encourage anyone to buy off the shelf components and get into an EDF relatively cheaply.

If you want to see a bit longer video, check out the WB page off of EAM's skunk-works page. While you're there, drop Dave a note to encourage him get the kits to market. From my understanding, he's getting very close.

Use this link to check out the pics- http://eam.net/EAMRC/skunkworks/WB-57/WB-57.htm

and video...
http://jmrcflyers.tripod.com/b57/wb-57n_1s.mpg
(1.5mb MPG video)

Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren (edited 06-06-2001).]
Daren is offline Find More Posts by Daren
Old Jun 06, 2001, 11:28 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
Haldor,
Am thinking along those lines, or maybe 2 of those Weidmann Flash E-74 fan/motor units.

Daren,
I guess we can spare you...just make it happen soon !. I'll have to e-mail this page/forum to EAM when we get enough responses (I'm sure).
Thanks for the links/photos. By the way, since the fan unit is mounted in "front" of the wing, is there any (wing) structure inside the nacelle that "interferes" w/ the
airflow of the fan unit? (I just can't imagine that there is nothing inside to support the part of the wing distal to the nacelle). Thanks again.

Ron

Old Jun 07, 2001, 01:23 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by electricrcflyer:
Thanks for the links/photos. By the way, since the fan unit is mounted in "front" of the wing, is there any (wing) structure inside the nacelle that "interferes" w/ the
airflow of the fan unit?
Ron
Thanks for sparing me! {:-D

Mark Nankivil has one of our prototype kits which he's reworking slighty to use the Flash fan units, so this should be possible. The model is pretty clean, so using more powerful motors should help a little bit with the forward speed. Mostly where you'll see the biggest increase is in rate of climb.

Dan's design uses ring spars, so there's no structure to impede the airflow coming off of the fan units. The ring spars are imbedded in the foam wings and glassed to the nacelles, making the nacelles part of the load bearing wing structure.

Thanks again for the kind words.
Daren
Old Jun 07, 2001, 07:09 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings -

Dan & Daren have a great model in the WB-57F. I'll get to mine one of these days but there's no reason the Flash EDF units won't fit - looks good on paper. Need a couple Ron?!

Hey EAM, any chance of a 'glass fuselage?

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jun 07, 2001, 08:22 AM
Gravity Is My Friend !!!
Lewisville, Texas, United States
Joined Mar 2000
1,303 Posts
already in process

EAMRC is offline Find More Posts by EAMRC
Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:27 AM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
I got excited first time i saw it on ezone Mark ran some photos at that time , its been a while, looking forward to its release any et ? and est cost? thanks jim
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Jun 07, 2001, 09:37 PM
Gravity Is My Friend !!!
Joined Mar 2000
1,303 Posts
Hey Darren !! looks like I will be there Sunday, Steve Neil and I are going to try to hook up with you and Dan there hopefully we'll see you Sunday!!!
Old Jun 07, 2001, 09:55 PM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
I,LL SURE TRY WOULD LOVE TO SEE IT FLY THANKS JIM
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Jun 07, 2001, 10:16 PM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
EAMRC & Jim:
Sounds great! I look forward to meeting both of you!

Daren
Old Jun 08, 2001, 12:44 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Jim,
If you're in Simi Valley, Dan and I are bringing the WB-57 up to the ScaleMasters Qualifier at Sepulveda Basin this weekend. We're going to fly it in the noontime demo.

Stop by and say hi if you get a chance.
Daren
Old Jun 11, 2001, 09:16 AM
Gravity Is My Friend !!!
Joined Mar 2000
1,303 Posts
OK I am inspired !!!!!!! I got to fly the WB-57F at the Scale Qualifiers in CA on Sunday. What a nice handling plane no bad habits at all even though it is fairly short coupled. when I get back to Dallas we'll jump on pushing this plane out as soon as we can.The fist run of laser cut parts arrived last week the canopies are done and the fiberglass nacells are done all that we are left to do is new construction pics and the wings which sould be ready upon my return. I see no reason with a pair of Pletts you couldn't add retracts and/or make it a short wing version of a B-57. Stay tuned........

Old Jun 11, 2001, 08:50 PM
Corvallis, OR
Joined Mar 2000
1,164 Posts
I hope Mark Nankivil will come up w/ mods
to accept the Weidmann fan unit/motor.
2 of these (parallel) on 11-12 cells will make that thing really move. Am sure there'll be enough power even w/ additional weight from retracts.
Keep us posted.

Ron
Old Jun 11, 2001, 09:50 PM
p471701
n/a Posts
i had the chance to see it fly yesterday.
a very smooth and scale flight!
dan and darren got alot of attention from the pilots and spectators.
i enjoyed meeting them, and dave from eam......gregg