HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by tippy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 05, 2006, 07:08 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Discussion
Blog images ?? Where ??

Ok ... the gallery is closed ... and the blogs are open. Question: where do we store images to be used in threads/blogs. I'm not talking about attaching images as thumbnails which is still possible. I'm talking about inserting a link to an image in the gallery.
IE:

How can I do this if I now have nowhere to store the images (gallery is off-limits to new uploads) and Blog only allows attachments (as far as I can tell).

I know ... I can store the images anywhere on the internet that can be accessed via a URL. Well ... the images in the now defunct gallery have URLs too.

As far as I'm concerned RC groups took a step backwards by removing the gallery as a storage and URL reference for images.

Good-bye RCGROUPs
d.tipton
tippy is offline Find More Posts by tippy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2006, 07:14 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
I see ... In the blog thread, the "inserted" image is shown as an image but out on the recent posts page it's shown as a link to the image.

So the question still stands ... how do we insert (not attach) an image and where on the RCGROUPS site do we store the images (previously stored in Galleries which is no closed to new uploads).

RCGROUPS ... pull up ... pull up.

d.tipton
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:36 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,410 Posts
You just need to add the image as an attachment.

Use the "Manage Attachments" button.

If you have further questions, please use the "Site Suggestions / Complaint" forum so an admin will be sure to see the question.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Mar 06, 2006, 01:11 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy
Yesterday 07:08 PM ... (not attach)...
Quote:
Yesterday 07:14 PM ... (not attach) ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke
... You just need to add the image as an attachment ...
What part of "not attach" did you not understand?

Besides ... you don't attach images to posts ... you attach thumbnails that are linked to images.

Since you're listening ... where do I upload the images to (as in the previously used Gallery) and again, I'm not talking about attaching the images?

Why don't you just openly announce that RCGROUPS is no longer an image storage site? You are disquising this "removal of features" as Blogging. While users are distracted by this new Blog feature, you are removing the ability to upload images to be used as INSERTS "[img][/img]". Attachments are NOT INSERTS.

I used to think RCGroups was better than RCU but this has caused me to rethink. I may be limited to 10 images at RCU but now that RCG galleries is no more, that's 10 more images at RCG.

Sorry, for this rant but in my opinion when one of the best features of RCG is removed, I get a little punchy.

I do hope you reconsider the gallery issue.

Thanks,
d.tipton
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:27 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,410 Posts
Tippy,

You can upload images using the "manage attachments" button.

We haven't taken this feature away.

Do you see the button?

Jim
Administrator
Old Mar 07, 2006, 05:29 AM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourke
Tippy,

You can upload images using the "manage attachments" button.

We haven't taken this feature away.

Do you see the button?

Jim
Do you see the button for inserting images?

Can you preview attachments? ... unless you've changed something ... the answer is no. Can you preview inserts [img][/img] ... yes.

This is why I don't like attachments. This is why I don't use attachments. This is why I used the upload to the gallery ... to use inserts instead of attachments. This is why I have mentioned not wanting to use attachments 3 different times.

So far EVERYTIME I've mentioned not wanting to use attachments, your response has been to use attachments. What do I need to get through to you ... I DON'T WANT TO USE ATTACHMENTS (very appropriate use of caps).

So what you're saying is I need to create an obscure thread with attachments to upload my images. View the images to get the URL to the images and then go to the real thread and insert them the way I want.
Wouldn't it be easier to have a feature to where you could just upload images without creating the phantom thread with the attachments. You could call it ... I don't know ... the gallery, maybe. Oh ... that's right ... that feature was removed.

Good Luck,
d.tipton
Old Mar 07, 2006, 09:57 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,410 Posts
Tippy,

I understand now.

Can you give me an example of some places where you've used the feature? I can see if there is a way we can accomodate your need using the attachment mechanism.

We've disabled the gallery software for good reasons. I don't want to turn it back on. It was very hard for us to keep up with updates to the software and we found the integration with our forum software to be lacking in a few important features.

Jim
Administrator
Old Mar 07, 2006, 09:58 PM
Administrator
Joined Nov 1998
5,410 Posts
By "examples" I mean simply some URLs to threads or other places where you've used the gallery in the desired manner.

Jim
Administrator
Old Mar 09, 2006, 08:16 PM
Alabama
Joined Feb 2003
617 Posts
Quote:
... IE:
I guess the first entry of this blog would be a good start. It contains an inserted image that is currently in my (archived) gallery.

Or I could show you what an SR3 type swash plate on an RC Heli looks like:

BTW, here's what my header tank on my heli looks like:

And here's what the schematic of my fuel system looks like:

Some links to some threads I used to insert images:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=3
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=41
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=12
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=12
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...53&postcount=3

So as you can see, I would much rather use images inserted into threads than "attach" the images after the fact. All these images (and a few more) are located in my now defunct gallery. I can also see what these images look like in the "preview".

Good Luck,
D.Tipton

And right here is where the attachments appear, yet I have no clue as to how they will look because you can't preview attachments.
That's why I fully support a place to store images and the ability to insert them instead of attaching them.