SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:52 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody WIlson View Post
Oh, C'mon Dean! You know me! I'm with the hot blonde!
I notice you be lookin down her shirt!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 01:19 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Great shot. The captioning possibilities are endless.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
Springs soarer
Colorado springs
Joined Apr 2005
364 Posts
Scott,

Where is the St. Francis hill???
MiguelC is offline Find More Posts by MiguelC
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:37 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,124 Posts
St Francis Hospital... Woodman and Powers...

I started a google maps with CSprings Sloping Sites that I use..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f98cc0db&msa=0
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:10 PM
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Dec 2010
116 Posts
Scott,
Thanks for posting that map!

I'd say that Fillmore is not so great with winds out of the north... Even due east is a bit rough. It is best from SW, SSW, S, SE. I've only flown it once with a westerly, and crashed within a few minutes... But before that it was great!

Actually, I just got back from flying at Fillmore. I shared the slope with a juvenile hawk who was curious, but not hostile to my Mini Topsky. Followed me around, but never got closer than 20'. Pretty amazing few minutes actually!

Then after the hawk left I broke out the Alula hoping the hawk might come back... (never did) the wind and the lift went up and the portly built Alula did great! It got to be a bit to much and I wished I'd brought a bigger plane.

I've also shared that slope with a small swift a number of times... It just dives into position and sits steady as a rock hovering with its wings tucked in about 35' out from the edge... I've watched it sit there for several minutes... Occasionally drifting side to side... Really amazing to watch.

Nice hour or so of flying...

Rookie
WH Rookie is offline Find More Posts by WH Rookie
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:29 AM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoGinn View Post
St Francis Hospital... Woodman and Powers...

I started a google maps with CSprings Sloping Sites that I use..

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...f98cc0db&msa=0
Scott - great idea - I know all those sites now but bookmarked it to remind me occasionally...

Miguel, the dump you're referring to (well, an old dump that's covered with dirt and decent grass but lots of vent stacks) is not that obvious to find the entrance to. I missed the guys Saturday but talked to Barry and got the entrance off Tutt blvd figured out. I'm sending you a map now.

Glenn
glenn2626 is offline Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:31 AM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
I notice you be lookin down her shirt!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
Great shot. The captioning possibilities are endless.
She is "Defy Pictures Jill" and is know for, um, well...... yeah, if you watch this and don't smile you're gay...
Rabbit Ron @ Throwdown 2006 (3 min 18 sec)

Let me tell you, that DA-100 was giving those suckers a workout! I had the camera man move just so we could get them in shot- he was like "Yeah, but..." Jill was like "Do it." LOL
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Last edited by Cody WIlson; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
Springs soarer
Colorado springs
Joined Apr 2005
364 Posts
Scott, Google Map looks great. Where do you fly in Bear Creek park? I assume a North wind for that area or due East which we never get would work off Gold Camp road..

Glenn, thank you for sending the directions to me via email.. I ahve never flown the dump as I always go to Fillmore when there is a Southern wind. Fillmore is my home field!!!!

Miguel
MiguelC is offline Find More Posts by MiguelC
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Citizen #96
NE Denver, CO
Joined Sep 2007
722 Posts
About :53 seconds in the camera man lets loose with the same sound Homer Simpson makes when he sees a donut.

Couldn't a said it better myself.
Steve Graham is online now Find More Posts by Steve Graham
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
visit to DEN

Ok tickets are booked and looking forward to seeing my brother, buy really looking forward to some flying outdside of the flat lands of FL, what are the best days for zion or any others in the den area
southern180 is offline Find More Posts by southern180
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:29 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern180 View Post
Ok tickets are booked and looking forward to seeing my brother, buy really looking forward to some flying outdside of the flat lands of FL, what are the best days for zion or any others in the den area
Weekend afternoons with any decent wind will have people on Zion. Some weekday evenings have flyers, too. The best directions are ESE through NNE, and WNW through SW. SE is about the only really useless direction, though. I like the following station because it's at the mountaintop level, to the SW.

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers....asp?ID=MTS809

Other people like ground-level stations in Golden that update more often.

This weekend looks pretty crummy, weather-wise. Cold and maybe snowy. When are you coming out?
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
wont be out till July. W--K keeps me here in FL, what other places are around Den to fly. Id say within an hour or so? I have a Typhoon, Luna and a Orion all are 2M or just over. I plan on two in a double sided long gun case seems to fit the bill but which two? looking at history of Zion not much wind most of the time? seems like any back side DS stuff is limited?? seems like most flying will be front side stuff
southern180 is offline Find More Posts by southern180
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,124 Posts
I cant even think of any good places to fly gliders in St Pete... I lived there for 6 years while I was stationed at MacDill..

Zion is more "slermaling" but there are plenty of places to fly in the greater denver area for sure!
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern180 View Post
wont be out till July. W--K keeps me here in FL, what other places are around Den to fly. Id say within an hour or so? I have a Typhoon, Luna and a Orion all are 2M or just over. I plan on two in a double sided long gun case seems to fit the bill but which two? looking at history of Zion not much wind most of the time? seems like any back side DS stuff is limited?? seems like most flying will be front side stuff
As little as 3-4 on a good, consistent northeast sunny day is enough to fly a brick off the east of Zion. That's an exaggeration, but not as much of one as you might think. We tend to get the easier east winds in the summer and the insane west winds in the winter, but there are always exceptions. Usually you want southwest for the Switchbacks (DS Potential, though a tight space) and often incredible frontside (the frontside being a hillside and cliff that juts out into the canyon). You want more wind for the west faces and it tends to be a more turbulent and gnarly experience than the east side. North of West in 10+ is usually good for DSing the summit and there's a few different spots up there. No matter the direction, you are generally flying thermal/sink cycles as well as slope lift at Zion.

Jones Pass, a pretty amazing DS and frontside spot out near Empire, CO is about an hours drive from the Denver area. The road up there will become passable in the late summer as the snow pack melts. July is kind of a toss up. But the snow pack is low this year.

There are a couple good spots in Boulder, NCAR and Powerlines. NCAR for SE and Powerlines for NW. Powerlines is a small hill, so it needs more windspeed.

Sounds like there are also some nice spots in the Springs as well, but I haven't personally flown them.

I'm not sure what weather reports you are looking at and I haven't been to Zion since last Saturday, but we've had some heavy winds and crazy weather on the Front Range lately. It was rattling the windows in downtown last night and my Wednesday commute was punctuated by heavy rains, street flooding, tornado sirens and a hail storm.

Welcome to Colorado!
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,022 Posts
Wcsc

Sure would like to see some of you guys come over here for our combat event on April 21 and 22. Right now I think we will have around 10 people. It will be held on Big mesa 13 miles east of Delta.Camping on site, DS and front side combat. Come and have some fun. PM me for details. Rich
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2