HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
wolfv,

Well, before you move come flying with us up in Santa Fe at La Bajada. Wind shoud start to blow again anyday now.
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, Mt, Anaconda
Joined Sep 2006
174 Posts
I miss Zion

I sure do miss flying with you guys. Cody, good to hear you've moved closer to Zion. Montana has been okay for sloping, just hard to find as good of a spot as Zion. In the meantime, I've been flying some full scale out of Driggs, ID (over the Tetons) and out of Minden, NV (east of Lake Tahoe). I thought I'd share some pics.
jjonas is offline Find More Posts by jjonas
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
I posted this a while back and didn't hear anything. But it was the last post on the page so maybe no one saw it. Anyway, if you have any ideas to share about fuse covering, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
Hey all, I'm about to put ultracote on the fuse of my Eaton Air Element, but I don't know how to do this. Should I try to use one big piece and wrap it around? Or maybe long strips from the tail to the nose about 1 inch wide? How do you do this?

Thanks,
Steve
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,654 Posts
I did one piece of covering on each side.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
Littleton, Colorado
Joined Oct 2002
525 Posts
It will be much easier with Solartex and you should be able to do it with two pieces, one on the bottom wrapped as much as possible then one on the top.
Ultracoat will work too but I dont recommend it especially if you haven't done a few.

Tack down one edge first. As you pull the Solartex around a curve, you can see where the wrinkles will be.
Lift the Solartex off of the foam and heat it. Now, stretch it around the curve as you pull/stretch outwards.
Basically, heating the Solartex before you tack it down is the key. At first, you will feel like you need 3 hands.
After a while you’ll be holding the part down with your elbow, stretching the covering with one hand and heating with the other.

Jeff
flyswithumb is offline Find More Posts by flyswithumb
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
Springs soarer
Colorado springs
Joined Apr 2005
364 Posts
Slope P I am from ABQ and love to see someone down in NM slopin. I used to fly at the Damm down the street from the golf courses in Bernalillo but never knew people flew la Bajada hill. When is the best time to fly down there in Santa Fe/ABQ area?

Miguel
MiguelC is offline Find More Posts by MiguelC
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
This is the part that's confusing me. The lip that the front of the wing fits under. I was thinking I'd have to use one piece in front of that lip and another piece, or multiple pieces behind it. Does that sound right? Even if I did a piece for each side, I don't see how a side piece could wrap up over that lip and also fit below it. But maybe this stuff shrinks more than I think. I already bought the ultracote so I don't want to buy solartex as well.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
Santa Fe NM
Joined Jul 2009
914 Posts
Miguel,

Spring time typically is the best but fall is pretty good.

Get in touch with me if you ever decide to head down.

LP
Slope P is offline Find More Posts by Slope P
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
Springs soarer
Colorado springs
Joined Apr 2005
364 Posts
LP I will get in touch with you. I usually come down in late fall. Thanks for the info..

Miguel
MiguelC is offline Find More Posts by MiguelC
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
DS carnivore!
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Mar 2006
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
This is the part that's confusing me. The lip that the front of the wing fits under. I was thinking I'd have to use one piece in front of that lip and another piece, or multiple pieces behind it.
You just have to "wing it"
With practice you will get better. The more you experiment and the more advanced your wrapping skillz get! Just go for it! If it does not look good enough, heat it up, remove it and start over. Most of all... HAVE FUN!
pyranha7 is offline Find More Posts by pyranha7
Old Sep 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
BMS is looking good for Zion. Forecast for the next few hours, even better.
Headed up in a few. Longboard racing on the upper part of Lookout so hopefully
it won't be too nutty.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,688 Posts
Flew my Moth alone for 2 hours in great lift before anyone else showed up, and another hour
after that before it finally petered out.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Thanks, that what I ended up doing (winging it ). I used three different pieces on the fuse, plus a fourth small piece to go directly over the nose. I think I really need to see someone else do this. I'm sure there are a ton of tricks that would make sense if I saw someone do it, but that couldn't really be explained in a post. Anyway, it's covered and doesn't look too bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyranha7 View Post
You just have to "wing it"
With practice you will get better. The more you experiment and the more advanced your wrapping skillz get! Just go for it! If it does not look good enough, heat it up, remove it and start over. Most of all... HAVE FUN!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,654 Posts
I'll bet it looks good!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:45 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,654 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Jones Pass forecast for wednesday? I'm thinking about going up.