HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2012, 10:28 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Ah, been a while since I've been over Guanella Pass. Other than the high altitude launch,
it looks like it could be an easy FPV run over to Mt. Bierstadt across Sawtooth ridge and back.

ian
Yah, I was thinking the same. Unfortunately I am limited by my 2.4ghz radio. I need to get a UHF radio...

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:50 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,868 Posts
Page 301 for me. I set the number of posts per page to the highest selection in the settings. 15K posts isn't bad though.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Jun 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Anyone want to Teach me how to slope fly at like NCAR or something. I already have almost a year of experience flyin planes. I think I will be getting my bee tomorrow and have it flying thursday if there is nothing wrong with it.
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:08 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
357 Posts
With a Bee, all you really need is a little patience, a good sense of humor, and some hiking boots. The durability of a Bee makes it a really good trainer. Then come on out on a good day, watch what others are doing, ask a few questions, and you'll have it no time.

Today must have been pretty wild. Not the best first day, but we (unfortunately) don't get too many days with that kind of sustained winds. A day with 10-15 out of the SE is really forgiving, and you can fly all over the bowl out front. I hope to see you there.

Bill
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:11 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Ok. Haha. Any ideas for dual rates?
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:18 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,933 Posts
Balance the plane with CG at 8.5" from the nose. (should already be there if it's a pred built wing)
Assuming end points at 100%.
Set aileron rates at say.. 50% low, 70% high.
Set elevator rates at 15% low, 20% high.
Launch on high rate elevator, and switch to low after you've got it trimmed out for level flight.
I know those rates sound low, but that's normal for a properly balanced wing or plank.

Some basics for beginning on the slope.
- Keep your speed up. Speed is life.
- Fly figure 8's always turning away from the hill.
- You don't pull up to go up. To go up, just fly a bit slower and let the lift carry the plane up.
- Don't turn or fly slow in sink. All the slopes we fly here in Colorado present a mix of slope
and thermal lift and the thermals will give you both lift and sink. If it's sinky in one area of the
slope, it's usually lifty somewhere else. When the plane encounters sink and starts
to go down, the natural impulse is to pull up. Don't (see above). You can't go up
in sink, and the longer you stay in it flying slow or turning, the faster you'll go down. Instead,
put the nose down and dive away from the sink to some other area of lift.
- When plane is flying directly toward you, and you need to turn, or level the plane, push the stick toward the wing you want to lift.
(you may already be comfortable flying toward yourself, but it'll feel new again when the plane is quickly
drifting toward the slope while pointed at you).

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:32 AM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,072 Posts
Quote:
Balance the plane with CG at 8.5" from the nose. (should already be there if it's a pred built wing)
Launch on high rate elevator, and switch to low after you've got it trimmed out for level flight.
I know those rates sound low, but that's normal for a properly balanced wing or plank.

- You don't pull up to go up. To go up, just fly a bit slower and let the lift carry the plane up.
- Don't turn or fly slow in sink. All the slopes we fly here in Colorado present a mix of slope
and thermal lift and the thermals will give you both lift and sink. If it's sinky in one area of the
slope, it's usually lifty somewhere else. When the plane encounters sink and starts
to go down, the natural impulse is to pull up. Don't (see above). You can't go up
in sink, and the longer you stay in it flying slow or turning, the faster you'll go down. Instead,
- When plane is flying directly toward you, and you need to turn, or level the plane, push the stick toward the wing you want to lift.
(you may already be comfortable flying toward yourself, but it'll feel new again when the plane is quickly

ian
Good stuff.Listen to Ian
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Oct 2010
147 Posts
looks to be ne in the afternoon. I'll probably be on lookout 5:20 ish if anybody wants to beat the noobs bee out of the air.

Andre
zeedre is offline Find More Posts by zeedre
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:28 AM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,868 Posts
Head Up!

Only 3 Bee2 kits left in stock and it may be a while before I have more. If you are looking for a killer for Super77 and have been putting off the order, I would advise ordering now.

Andrew
www.canuckengineering.com
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:32 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Yeah i already know some about thermals and sink and flying in all orientations. Thanks for the tips though. Wow those rates are low, but i will go ahead and use them.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Jason, depending on the radio you have, the rates may need to be a little higher. I have a DX6i and when using it in elevon mode, the end points are automatically adjusted to 50% of full travel (it's like you're starting from 50% dual rates). And then the dual rates are applied on top of that. I believe Ian's numbers apply to the full 100% of travel.

On my DX6i for my bee I have about 25-30% dual rates. Just something to be aware of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonafriedman View Post
Yeah i already know some about thermals and sink and flying in all orientations. Thanks for the tips though. Wow those rates are low, but i will go ahead and use them.
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
I have and sd-6g. I will look in the Manuel see if it does that. Does anyone know any slopes that are good for west wind?
Last edited by jasonafriedman; Jun 06, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
Another Q, should I mess with endpoints or ad in expo? And how are you supposed to throw a wing?
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:36 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,039 Posts
Quote:

ian
All I know is my vocabulary just grew. "Sinky" and "Lifty".

Thanks Ian,
Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:23 PM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,687 Posts
If I get the plane in time, I might see some of you at NCAR Friday. Thursday doesn't look very good.