Old Mar 05, 2006, 01:27 AM
Mile_high_RCer
Valencia, CA
Joined Dec 2004
152 Posts
Discussion
Help identify this sailplane

Folks,
I recently acquired this sailplane, and need help identify it. The saiplane has 129.5 inch wing span, and fuselage is 50.5 inch long. Fiberglass thoughout, and hollow cored wings (vacuum bagged?). Appreciate your help to identify it.
suwito is offline Find More Posts by suwito
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2006, 02:04 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,500 Posts
Looks a lot like a french glider called "merlin" or so from quite some time ago, on of the first all moulded models I ever saw
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Mar 05, 2006, 08:54 AM
Mr Kite
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Nov 2005
111 Posts
Merlin

Yes it's a Merlin it is from Germany one of the frist to use the hollow core molded wings I got one from Wilshire Hobbys back in 83 or 84..it not only looks good and flys great..have some more infor on it but sill looking for it Craig
MrKie is offline Find More Posts by MrKie
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:21 AM
Mile_high_RCer
Valencia, CA
Joined Dec 2004
152 Posts
Thanks alot WimH and Craig. Now at least I know its name.... am told that this sailplane was from Los Angeles area... assume Wilshire Hobbys is/was in LA area, right Craig?

I don't have a build instruction. Flap pieces apparently need angular trimming at the jointing surface before putting them together. Also not sure about the tow hook placement. If you could, please share build instruction/photos. Thanks!

Wan
suwito is offline Find More Posts by suwito
Old Mar 05, 2006, 12:01 PM
Mr Kite
Webster, Minnesota
Joined Nov 2005
111 Posts
Merlin

Here is the add from Wilshire and there was no instructions but will try to help you Craig
MrKie is offline Find More Posts by MrKie
Last edited by MrKie; Mar 05, 2006 at 12:15 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2006, 08:04 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Wow... I bet that one went over well here in the States in the early 80's when "Gas Bags" ruled the circuit.

Notice the price? $450 for a hollow molded composite ship. Just about in line with inflation at today's prices.

TommyT
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt