SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 04, 2006, 12:46 AM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
Question
Does any body no how much wind E-starter can handel

Iam looking in to buying an e-starter i have all kinds of mods piced out iam geting the spektra remote i guess it dosent take crystals it just looks for open channels it comes wiht the reciver and 4 s75 sub micro servos next iam getting an eflite 40 amp speed control and a brush less with a 2100mah 3cell lipoly battery so i was told the e starter was a good learnig plane just curious if anybody new if it could handel any wind if so more then a slow stick thats what iam flyin now with a brush less and lipoly batt
thanks
pbguy
pbguy is offline Find More Posts by pbguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2006, 12:54 AM
I broke my kerpellor.
Salt Lake City
Joined Sep 2004
2,430 Posts
Yep, more than a slow stick. But can't handle a lot of wind, unless you are a good pilot and have lots of power. Then it can handle up to 25 mph? or so.

Sounds like you are getting a good outfit, have fun! Do a search on the E-Starter, some good tips on RCGroups. Especially good to reinforce the rear part of the fuselage. A good way is to carve a groove and epoxy in a 1/8" carbon fiber tube the length of it. Also, plan your battery fit carefully. Use a velcro strap, imo.
Artemetra is offline Find More Posts by Artemetra
Old Mar 04, 2006, 09:41 AM
Whistling Death
WA,USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,544 Posts
My cousin recently got back from flying his Estarter at the beach with lots of wind and managed to get it back in one piece. with the power you'll have, be sure to put a carbon fiber tube across the length of the wing, you be glad you did!
RC4ZEKE is offline Find More Posts by RC4ZEKE
Old Mar 04, 2006, 10:14 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
I've flown my modified E-starter in the hilsl where the slopers fly. With the stock 350 and lipos, I've had it flying backwards near the crest of the hill. It did ok, but landing was the tricky part! Mines carbon fibered to beef it up, but weighs under 12ozs.
Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 04, 2006, 10:45 AM
Hold my beer and watch this!
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2005
2,380 Posts
It depends one three things:
  • How much power you've got on tap
  • How much skill you've got on tap
  • How much wing loading you've got on tap

You want the most power, with the most pilot skill, with the highest wing loading to fly in the wind.

The skill will come quickly if you fly in the wind often. I am very good at flying in the wind, but it is mostly because if I waited for the wind to die down in my area, I'd never fly, or I'd only ever fly my Overlord wing.

Also, as others have said, landing in the wind is twice as hard as flying in it, especially if it's gusty.

A better plane for the wind in this category might be the Ultrafly Cessna. It weighs more like 24 oz and is much more stable in the wind than a 12 oz plane will be. Especially when you go to the "expert" wing and 8x8E prop instead of the basic wing and 10x4.7SF prop.

Go brushless with it some time in the future and you will have about the perfect all-around plane. (I'm either going to get one or a Multiplex MiniMag this summer) My dad's got the Cessna, and I love flying it.

Only thing is that it costs twice as much as the E-Starter. C'est la vie. (Such is life)
Jeremy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy Z
Old Mar 04, 2006, 04:47 PM
the journey is the reward
Canada
Joined Apr 2002
1,542 Posts
Pretty stable in high wind if you have good power.

HH
Hammer Head is offline Find More Posts by Hammer Head
Last edited by Hammer Head; Mar 04, 2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2006, 07:02 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
Estarter is very good in the wind and stable. I hovered mine in for a landing once. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Mar 04, 2006, 09:50 PM
Everett
ca.
Joined Mar 2006
38 Posts
thanks for all the edvice iam pretty excited to fly it i schould have it air borne by the end of the month just wainting to get every thing shipped
pbguy is offline Find More Posts by pbguy
Old Mar 04, 2006, 11:28 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
882 Posts
I think it is up to your skill level and the mods you make. I have flown my e-starter in 20mph winds. My mods are: Big blue foam rudder, big blue foam elevator, 1.5 inch blu foam ailerons. Himax 2015-41xx (4 to 1 ratio). 3s1p 2200mah lipoly. The stock estarter is a hand full after 10 mph wind.

It's really no fun flying in strong wind with these small planes. I just fly when I get the opportunity.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Mar 05, 2006, 01:40 AM
Joined Jul 2004
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Iam looking in to buying an e-starter i have all kinds of mods piced out iam geting the spektra remote i guess it dosent take crystals it just looks for open channels it comes wiht the reciver and 4 s75 sub micro servos next iam getting an eflite 40 amp speed control and a brush less with a 2100mah 3cell lipoly battery so i was told the e starter was a good learnig plane just curious if anybody new if it could handel any wind if so more then a slow stick thats what iam flyin now with a brush less and lipoly batt
thanks
pbguy
Quote:
thanks for all the edvice iam pretty excited to fly it i schould have it air borne by the end of the month just wainting to get every thing shipped
Usta Bee is online now Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Mar 05, 2006, 10:03 AM
Whistling Death
WA,USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,544 Posts
Usta, I think you're right!
RC4ZEKE is offline Find More Posts by RC4ZEKE
Old Mar 05, 2006, 11:09 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,287 Posts
I was once told that the model doesn't know it is windy. Wind is the pilots problem not the airplanes. How much wind can you fly in is the proper question and only you can answer that.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Mar 06, 2006, 11:49 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
The ESTARTER is an awesome plane. I have over 30 and it was my favorite, I just dumped my estarter this weekend. See my 'death of an estarter thread'. It can fly easily in 15 mph. And as it is foam, if you break something, just glue it back! You will love this plane.
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo