Closed Thread
Old Mar 02, 2006, 11:12 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Yippee!
Working Mod for EWO's Super F-16 EDF 55

Well, after a failure or two, I finally found an application that works, holds together, was easy to do and flies great. Ewo's F-16 is such a versitile design, and can be made so light. Special thanks to Ewo, Bill Bergman and Towman for helping me and answering my questions through PM. Anyway, I did not have time to take measurements and I don't have a scale. I just made it as light as I could and took a guess as to where to place the EDF-55. I took it off of a Fan Fold Funjet that did not do very well ..for me anyway. But not long after I mounted it and tested it, it tried to jump out of my hand. First, I cut out the fan area while the two pieces had yet to be joined. Then after joining them with as little hot glue as possible, I taped quarters to the nose until it glided accross the living room. It only took 1 quarter to get a good glide out of it. Then I marked the CG with a red sharpie and went to work. I am using a Castle creations 20A Pixie esc, the GWS EDF 55 (i believe it had 150 checked on the box for the motor which I think is equivalent to a 300 type brushed motor) and a E-Flight / Thunder Power 3s 1300 to balance the craft. I wanted to go with a 2s pack, but this one was the only one heavy enough but not too heavy. In fact its only slightly heavier than the 3s 900 and not a whole lot more heavy than the 2s 800 that I have. But the 2s 800 is kind of old. Any way, I borrowed the 2 servo system from the SU 27 XXL that I crashed because 2 servo's are lighter than 3 and using .20 wire, i linked the horns together. Notice in the middle of the 2 horns some shrink tubing. I cut two small pieces, put them on separate wires, taped the control surfaces level then pulled the wires tight. Then I heated the heat shrink tubing to hold it in place until I could get a drop or two of CA and some accelerant on it. I then put a z bend in another piece of wire, attached it to the first horn and connected it to the servo with these cool mini quick connects. Getting all the surfaces level and even was easy. The maiden flight went great. It was pretty touchy at first with the Delta wing mixing and I had some wind, so I brought it back in and programmed some expo into the controls. After that I had it doing some excellent high speed passes. It will also loop from level flight pretty quickly, but will stall if you try too make the loop too large. It will also not go straight verticle, but has a decent climb. It seemed like it would be perfect for someone to get some stick time with an EDf and Delta wing config. Now, it has served it's purpose and I a m going to make a copy of it and intall my Wemotec microfan. This time a little further towards the CG and fully ducted on the exhaust side. I just received one of Mr. Boogies intake rings and a park 400 inrunner which should make this Super F-16 Really scream.
Good Flying...
Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2006, 06:23 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,717 Posts
Nice work Bo !!!!!
Kinda makes me want to brush the dust off of a couple EDF units.
Bill Bergman is online now Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Mar 03, 2006, 06:51 PM
ewo
Spencer In.USA
Joined Oct 2003
4,547 Posts
Yep
Nice work. I have one on tha burner that is built just, need to install the electrics.
But it will be cdrom powered. I havent had much luck with the fan units But im glad yours works well........... Great Job !

ewo
ewo is offline Find More Posts by ewo
Old Mar 04, 2006, 08:26 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
This one was the offspring of the cdrom model with the mid mounted engine. bAd expeience there... Not only that, after 3 flights, the GWS motor locked up on me this morning and I have'nt even been pushing it that hard. But I have bid plans for this one...Flew great right up until a sudden but predictable loss of power. landed o.k. Will replace it with we-motect fan and park 400 brushless. Going to make a twin jet using the GWS 55's mounted on a Foam Fly P-47 with a engine under each wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2006, 12:42 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Cool...........

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Mar 04, 2006, 01:18 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,527 Posts
great something new to try,thnx guys.
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Mar 04, 2006, 02:37 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Wow...combined experience of everyone replying..

I can't believe it. Bill, Ewo, Towman, Snolord.. most of the guys except Gene Bond that I have asked the most questions and who have helped me the most when it came not only to the development of this plane, but also the others I have flown and will fly. I should also thank Tog for posting the fan fold fun jet without which I would not have come up with this one and Bill for trying it years before I did and his reply to me as to why he thought his did'nt work as well as it should have.
I did find out what happened to the engine on this one. I opened up the rear of it and one of the copper wires had come lose from it's wind. really fried the engine but good. I think I am going to replace it with a small brushless, or, I have a 330 BB motor at home that screams pretty good. Most likely I will simply adapt my Wemotec Microfan with the park 400 inrunner to it and move the fan and duct assy forward so I can use a lighter 3s battery to maintain cg. Will post pics of that mod whenever I can.
Just really wanted to say thanks, I had a great time doing this one and until the motor blew a wind, it flew great. Hope to have some pictures of it in the air this coming weekend at an all electric fun fly here in Birmingham.
Good Flying
Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2006, 02:58 PM
Houston, Tx.
Joined Jan 2003
3,717 Posts
Glad your keeping it going for the guys who missed it the first time around.
Bill Bergman is online now Find More Posts by Bill Bergman
Old Mar 04, 2006, 03:16 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Bill, it was funny, I found the group and then the F16 thread just a month or two ago and did not notice how old some of the posts were under the F-16 Free foamie plans posted and organized by Tow. So I proceeded to make my own version of the F-16 and had a question. Sent a PM to Ewo and like you, his reply was "wow, that was a long time ago, sorry I missed your post to the thread..have'nt looked at that one in a while." So then I noticed you guys had moved on to other things, but everyone has been great in helping me progress.
All of my work and research and practice is so that I can be ready to build and fly a Depron kit I got from 6mm flyer. It's a super bandit made for the microfan and I know it's going to be fast and responsive. I plan to put a lot of time into it and make it look as scale as possible, so everything I have done to this point is so I hopefully wont crash that plane the first time I fly it. Funny how some seemingly unrelated experiences help with the overall picture sometimes.
Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2006, 03:17 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
I'll never forget shredding my first 250 powered one through the chain link fence out back................I still have 8 J250's left........might be time real soon to build another........

TM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Mar 06, 2006, 07:06 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Microfan Installed and Tested

Took out the GWS EDF 55 and sliced the rudder off to install the wemotec. Park Inrunner 400 was powering it. Mr. Boogie's intake ring on the front and some photopaper attached with regular scotch tape held it on. I covered the are with skinned foam. It was slightly heavy because I had to make several repairs to the rear of the plane involving short sectionss of wood skewers, hot glue and tape. Consequently, the F-16 required 3/4 to WOT to get going good, but once it did, WOW. Very fast and rolled like a drill with high precision. Will forward pictures before I take it apart and build one specifically designed to take the new fan unit. I would also like to build one like EWO was talking about with a CD motor.
Later...
Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2006, 09:52 AM
Krued Up
Joined Jul 2004
4,527 Posts
ubuildit,i have a wemotec clone edf that i put an Astro05 BL motor in.
ran the motor and i like the way it performed on 3cell 1250mA pack.
i think this is the one that i would install on my next F16.

i was also thinking to make one thats 75% so that i can put a GWS50 with Feigao BL motor in it.

here's an idea i've been thinking about,what do you think.

install a swivel mechanism on the edf itself,with only up and down pitch for elevation.almost like thrust vectoring.i think coupled with the elevator,i think it would respond well.maybe i'll try it on the small one first,just to see how it reacts.

maybe with a 2cell 1200mA pack,the smaller one one would be perfect for that set up.

just an idea,let me know what you guys think,is it feasable and is it possible?

Angel
Old Mar 06, 2006, 12:44 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
thrust vectoring

A 50 with a Fiego would be good, I thinkthat it would have to be installed pretty far back to be truly effective. I would glue a foam ring to the back of the intake and mount the swivel on either side of that for simplicity. The great thing about it is that the mod I produced went from flat foam to working model in just a couple of hours for 2 nights. It was so easy.. So what would be the harm in trying. I was using Delta wing mixing on mine like the Ikarus Su XXL. It took some getting used to, but allowed me to skip the rod running from elevator to elevator in the way of air flow.

BTW what size fiego would fit in a edf 50 or edf 55. I found out that the motor in my 55's were GWS 350 and the first one threw a wind and siezed up on me only the third time I ever flew it. I thought about installing a bl in the other one before making another one just to avoid that.
Also, make the flat part of the fuse a little wider than plan between the te and the rear. A slightly rough landing yeilded me some broken foam in that area. a 4" skewer, some hot glue and tape took care of that, but added weight. I am going to cf that area or maybe use strapping tape on the next one whether I use the microfan or the gws fan just for durability. I was thinking about even installing some wheel gear.
Keep us up to date with the vectoring project though. Sounds promising, what if it worked and all you had to have was ailerons. That would be off
the chain..
Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2006, 01:55 PM
Krued Up
Joined Jul 2004
4,527 Posts
no doubt about it,i'm gonna start tonight
Old Mar 06, 2006, 08:20 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
F-16 w/microfan conversion

Attached are pictures of the F-16 with the Wemotec microfan and a park 400 inrunner bl motor. It flew great. I am going to build another specifically for this application as the current one was a retrofit since the GWS EDF 55 motor threw a wind.
I would also reccommend making the fuse wider in the areas I marked with red X's in the pics. The next one I build I will cover with strapping tape or something elso to re-inforce it if needed but will try not to add very much weight. Flew well, but had to be at 3/4 to WOT to get going well. The next one will be lighter and tighter. Anyway it was easy and fun.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread