Old Mar 02, 2006, 09:15 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
New Product
RCDisc

Just thought I would break it out.

After going to the Great Planes E-Fest and winning "Best New Product", I felt obligated to make it a product. My friend and I had to joke about it, but I litterally could not walk half way across the place and not have 2-3 people stop and ask about it. Of course I get long winded so I spent a lot of time not flying, but still had tons of fun.

This thing flys SUPER easy, much like a Tiger Moth with ailerons. But pretty indestructable. I have actually bounced it off a tree and kept flying. Last week I ran one into a hovering TRex (sorry papa Zankle), and it poped a wing off, but the RCHoverdisk would still fly (20sec with the glue gun and it was back to full health). The TRex wasn't so lucky with a destroyed head and main blades. Mylar is a modern wonder.

I even made a 95% accurate flying model for FMS so you can try it out. It really does float around like that (without helium). You can see it in the video.

Anyway, I kind of kept things under Area 51 until I got something presentable and now it's done. Check em out and let me know what you think. Or better yet buy one (sorry, shameless plug, I know)

www.RCDisc.com

-Tom
tomgofly is offline Find More Posts by tomgofly
Last edited by tomgofly; Sep 19, 2006 at 08:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2006, 09:55 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
RCDisc videos

Some videos, also available on my web site, or here if it's faster for you.

A documentary of how durable the RCHoverdisc is. Yes, i really could have made that loop, but it was for the durability testing. That's my story.
http://media.putfile.com/RCHoverdisc---Durable

Trash Can Carrier Group Manouvers. Too bad it really is easy to do, it was my first attempt. Maybe a bar stool next time....
http://media.putfile.com/Trash-Can-C...roup-Manouvers
Last edited by tomgofly; Sep 19, 2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Glad to see you post it here, Tom. You guys wouldn't believe it unless you showed up at one of our indoor events... The Hoverdisk floating around, just waiting for the next victim to bounce out of the sky... Just kidding!

It is cool, with the flashing lights and then with the video camera strapped on...

Kinda like a pregnant IFO on acid
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:19 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Hehehe, ya, I KNOW I would have won that combat contest at EFest if I had thought to put in a working motor. I need to get off my beehind and wind up some more. I keep making these things for myself and now I am running out of gear to put in them.

Thanks for the comments Gene. See you Saturday if you can make it.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:36 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2005
338 Posts
are their going to be plans or a kit or something if so pm me im interseted! lol cool little ship.
prodigy is offline Find More Posts by prodigy
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:44 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Ya, you can get a kit off the web site www.RCDisc.com You can even get the FMS simulator model downloaded from the site and test fly it for free.
Last edited by tomgofly; Sep 19, 2006 at 08:07 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 10:54 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Here is the last page of the build manual (page 8). The other pages has color pictures (1000 words each so I put lots in) and my aim was simple techniques. Anyway,I hope this gives you a better idea of its flying characteristics.

With battery in place check the CG. It isnít too particular about it. If the CG is back too far, the worse thing that will happen is when you throttle off, it will tip up and start to float down on its tail. Not a big deal if you have the juice to power it back out. If you donít have the power it will not have the air flow over the elevons to recover and will simply fall back onto itís tail (probably not the best thing for your servos though). If the CG is forward it will glide well without having to power out of a stall, but will not be quite as floaty. While it does have positive aileron control, most of the tight turning is done with the rudder. Basically, there is nothing holding it back on yaw so it can turn REALLY tight rudder turns. With both elevons working for it, there is very solid elevator response. When performing a loop, just power up into the loop and cut power off at the top of the loop so you donít power dive. Aileron response is maybe not as good as it has a lot of wing in the way and therefore lots of work to do on the roll axis. The ailerons will perform well for keeping it level and initiating banked turns, but donít expect it to snap roll. Having a perfectly symmetrical airfoil, it does almost as well inverted as upright. It has extremely low wing loading and can really haul a lot of weight (camera gear, bombs, laser cannons, small children, etc.). While it is possible to gain lift with Helium, it does not have a noticeable effect on performance. Approximately 1 oz lift is gained. I usually tell people I fill it with plutonium gas isotopes for extra lift, just to keep them guessing.

While it can fly at a granny walker pace (or slower), it will handle a good amount of speed and wind. Just donít go out in winds faster than it will fly unless you have a fast chase car. If you power dive or speed too much, it may reach ďmaximum demonstrated airspeedĒ, at which point the hoverdisc itself will fold in and you will lose all control (approx 10-20mph? Varies with conditions and bag firmness). Generally, it will just bounce back after smacking the ground. But you might bust a prop or gear box if you hit the ground too hard. Fortunately, the hoverdisc will flex on impact saving that motor a lot of grief that would destroy it on traditional airframes.

Pre-flight then give it a toss. If the prop clears the ground ok, you can take off from the ground, just give Ďer up elevator and pop in full throttle. You can also hand toss it, just grab it on its side and fling it nice, level and slow. If you fly in cold or hot weather, be sure to keep an eye on the internal air bag pressure. It will significantly deflate going from a warm house to cold air and inflate going from a cool house to a hot sunny park. Too little air pressure and the bag will take on a teardrop shape causing erratic control. Too much air pressure and the reinforcement ring will buckle and deform the airfoil. Give it about 15min to acclimate to a new environment. Optimum air pressure is achieved by filling it enough to warp the reinforcement ring and then let air out a little air till the warp pops out straight.

Enjoy!
Last edited by tomgofly; Mar 02, 2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2006, 11:37 PM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
Excerp from a pm... Thought all wouldn't mind hearing my comments...

"My fav motor is a 22.5mm CDRom motor 17T (new magnets, not cdrom mags) with a 3cell 900mah and a 7x4 or 8x4 prop. Plenty of power and loooong run times. Also, I have used a geared 350 motor with a 10x4 and that works just as well (but less durable, it IS what I used in the "Durable" video and it kept flying but it did crack the gear box just a little... shuuuuush..... don't tell on me).

I use the 900mah lipo because it adds enough weight to compensate for the light motor, and it's what I got around. I have flown with my 1900mah heli battery and it was a little noticable but still flew fine.

-T
Old Mar 03, 2006, 05:33 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
Combat would be fun with a few EDF versions. Imagine air boxing . the edf would reduce the risk of damage and keep it like bumper cars
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Mar 03, 2006, 07:24 AM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Hey-- get a fish graphic for the ballon and you'll have a flying flounder!!!
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old Mar 03, 2006, 07:58 AM
Joined Aug 2005
338 Posts
tomgofly does the kit include the baloon?
Old Mar 03, 2006, 08:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
338 Posts
opps nevermind i saw it. hmm do you take money orders?
Old Mar 03, 2006, 08:09 AM
Joined Aug 2005
338 Posts
sorry for all the questions but have you seen the hover sphere yet? that thing will make an excellent blow fish.
Old Mar 03, 2006, 08:16 AM
www.BlastRC.com
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2004
388 Posts
No problem, that's what the Forum is for Prod. Ya, it comes with (1) Reinforced Aluminized biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate (a.k.a Mylar) Hoverdisc! I have 2 different graphics to choose from. HINT: If you are planning on doing combat, buy one of each, hehehe.

Actually, it came about from project X1 (just made that up). So the sphere isn't too far off...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360498

Oh and ya, I'll take money orders, just give me an email and I'll send you the mailing info.

-T
Old Mar 03, 2006, 08:29 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,461 Posts
Just sent an email
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad