HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:51 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,223 Posts
I'm glad you got a good flight in! Now you can send it off with fond memories.
You're right about that box, that is one story telling patina it has. Definitely glad to have had the DOM visit O.C. It will be missed. Good bye Dom!
Thanks for the memories!
Tom
p.s. I like the OCSS sticker. Who do I talk to if I want to get one?
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,411 Posts
hey Jonathan, glad you got her flying !!! also I know a lot of guys would love to have a sticker !!!
Thanks Tom I did enjoy flying her, even thoiugh I hate flying other peoples planes, BUT this one I just had to try. Thanks to all involved !!!!!!
Dick J is offline Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Alright, only took 2.5 hrs to upload but here's a the flight video. I'm trimming it out and getting used to it the first 5-8 minutes. If you skip to later in the video the flying is considerably better :P

The Dom @ Pt. Fermin California 6/27/2012 (14 min 16 sec)

Cheers,

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:09 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,674 Posts
Thanks for posting the video Jonathan, It so cool that it still flies so well.
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:24 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
Thanks for posting the video Jonathan, It so cool that it still flies so well.
Although I debated posting it uncut I figured you would at least appriciate it. Watching it again it's interesting to see the progression as comfort with the handling sets in. I've never flown such a heavy and sturdy wing but it was honestly very fun to fly it with the amount of energy retention it had. Carving really does describe the feeling.

-Jonathan
Last edited by Twyl; Jun 28, 2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:15 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Great flying Jonathon. Nice to see that it really can fly pretty well. I love that landing.
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:12 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
The Dom arrived in Idaho this morning. The US Post Office delivered it 5 days early, which is shocking! My kids are sure excited, especially my 4 year old. They were both excited to help open the box; pealing off the tape and helping remove screws. My wife was even interested, which is a rarity when it comes to airplanes. She hogged the log book and read pretty much the whole thing, checking out all of the places it had been.

The plane looks to be in pretty good condition considering its age. There is a covering delam and hinge tape tear at the inboard end of one elevon that needs fixing, but otherwise it looks OK. There is also currently only one spare servo in the box. I was pleasantly surprised to see a synthetic 72mhz receiver in the box. Along with my synthetic Evo 9 transmitter, it should be able to fly constantly at Soar Utah.

There is no wind in the forecast for this weekend and next week I'll be at Scout Camp, so it will be at least the week after before I get it in the air.

One question I have is, does one just stick the vertical tails on with velcro or should I firm them up with tape? They sure seem like they would flutter with just the velcro. I've never owned a combat wing, so I have no experience with velcroed on tails. This is also the first time for me to fly a chevron wing. I've had a couple of planks before.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:32 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Dang! Never thought the USPS would ever beat expectations, let alone their own forecast. Good to hear she made it alright.

I think I do recall seeing two spare servos when I initially opened the box, but I searched my car and my garage/workshop area very thoroughly but could not find it for the life of me. My guess is it may have fallen out at the slope when I flew. I did check the area on following visits but no luck.

Regarding the winglets, I only used the supplied velcro and they seemed to do ok. I did cover the connecting wing halves with a strip of electric tape more to improve airflow than due to concern they would pop off in flight.

-Jonathan
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Cory, have you had any wind to test her out before the big soaring event?

-Jonathan
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:29 PM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Not yet, but I still have more than a month.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Not yet, but I still have more than a month.
How's she fly Cory

-Jonathan
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
I don't know. We have only had a couple of days with a good enough breeze. I got off work early once, came home, got the plane gathered up, and the wind stopped and switched from the north, which isn't flyable on our hills. The other day I wasn't free. I've been across the country in Maryland for work related training for about a week, returning tomorrow. It's looking like I might get my first flight at Soar Utah.
Last edited by Cory; Aug 24, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Finally gave the Dom the chance to experience Idaho air today. Life has been crazy busy all summer, but starting at 5 pm today I'm on vacation until Sept. 18th. As luck would have it, this being the last day I'll be in Idaho for two and a half weeks, the wind was blowing! I came home from work, grabbed the plane and my daughter Emily and headed out to the Kepp's Crossing DS hill. It was spur of the moment so I didn't get a chance to announce that we were going. Many of our local fliers come from out of town anyway and wouldn't have been able to make it since I couldn't give more notice. We got up there around 6 pm. The battery in my anemometer was dead, so I couldn't measure the wind, but before we left USAirnet was showing 16 gusting to 25. That's about what it felt like on the hill. The Dom flew well right out of the hand. It has a lot of Dutch roll at slow speeds, but flies nice and smooth when flown faster. After a little trim adjustment the plane flew great. I flew front side for about 20 minutes, then decided that it would just be wrong for the Dom to travel all this way to this great DS hill and miss the chance of experiencing the back side. I DSed for about 5 minutes. Don't worry, the speeds were probably only around 50 or 60 mph and I didn't pull hard on the top turns so the plane was not over stressed. It handles nicely. Today was one of my best DS sessions ever; not fast but smooth and a good track on all but 2 laps. I think I need to get a combat wing for these lighter wind days rather than keep trying to learn with a heavier JW in winds that are twice what it was today.

We hiked back down the hill and drove a few miles over to the Kepp's Crossing Overlook Cliffs. These cliffs are about 60 vertical feet at the top of a 300 foot hill, a few miles further upstream along Willow Creek, the creek that is at the bottom of the DS hill back side. The wind was a little lighter by the time I launched at about 6:55 pm, but the cliffs make a lot of lift. I flew a lot of half pipes and close photo passes for Emily. The plane flies very nicely as set up, except for inverted didn't go so well. I'll try it with a little less weight in the nose down at Soar Utah on Friday.
Last edited by Cory; Aug 29, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Where's the Dom going after Soar Utah?

Should it visit Eagle Butte??? If it stops in Washington, I'd love to give it it's first ride on a private jet! (Hawaii, anyone?)
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,731 Posts
Has it ever been to Arizona?
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member