HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,336 Posts
Looks to me like it would be for setting reflex.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts

So the flat side (top in photo) goes into the wing in the elevon crack, and the deflections should mimic the ends of the paper? It looks like the downward deflection is just slightly less then the upward, if there is any difference at all. Like almost no differential. It's been a long time since I set up a wing so I forget if that is normal. Perhaps it's just there to say, "This is the ideal amount of throw" and with any less or any more you might have issues.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
5,822 Posts
It is for setting reflex. If you ran a straightedge under the wing, the elevons would be up-trimmed about 1/4" off of the straightedge. With that white card on top of the wing, with the line on the hinge line, the card will contact the top of the wing and top of the elevon.
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Well the Dom had a brief flight at Fermin! It was fun being a part of it's journey and a part of the cause a fellow RCist held dear.

I may not be able to get to the post office this evening but it will be in the mail tomorrow for sure. That said I think the Dom is due for retirement sometime soon or perhaps for rebirth as the Dom 2.0. While I'm sure it was a fun ship to fly in it's early days it now takes an expert pilot and a fairly strong wind just to keep her up.

I'm not quite sure what I did qualified as flying it, but I did give it a nice chuck and wobbly trip down the cliff. (Thanks for warning me Tom! Oh wait you did ) I probably could have done a little better with another toss or two, but that was all the time I had for. I shot some video from my GoPo cam (iPhone held in mouth by tape) of the flight plus the retrieval! Will post it when ready.

Cheers!

-Jonathan
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:52 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Video of the Dom's flight. The retrieval to come later.

The Dom flies at Pt. Fermin 06/26/2012 (1 min 2 sec)

-Jonathan
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,441 Posts
Tom warned me too.

And like you, it didn't seem to help.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:17 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gas View Post
Tom warned me too.

And like you, it didn't seem to help.
Seriously, how hard can a wing be to fly right?

Ok, here's the retrieval! Not for the feint of heart.

Retrieving The Dom after an almost successful flight! (4 min 47 sec)

-Jonathan
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Thanks Cory. Wind conditions look good now, but I think I will hold off heading out for a bit to allow the lift to pick up some more as I want to make sure that tip stalling is not an issue.

A couple questions to those who have set up the DOM in the past.
1) There is a little white paper in the box that looks like it's for setting up the throws but it beats me if I understand it. Can anyone help? (see attached below)
2) Is CG marked on the wing? I forgot to check although I doubt it needs any adjusting.

Lastly a question to Zipper and the DOM community in whole. I took the time to scan the log book and now have it in a PDF format I could post up here on the boards. Is that something that would be ok to do, or should it be kept as part of the experience of actually flying the DOM?

-Jonathan
If you could post the comments in the log book up here, that would be great.
The CG should be around 180mm to185mm from the LE at the root.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:34 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
5,822 Posts
Jonathon, it looked like the throws were way too high. I flew it at Lilly's in about 10mph no problem, but in bigger winds like 15-20+ it really moves out and carves up some sky.

+1 on posting the log book comments. That is an equally cool part of the Dom, reading the log book and hearing of it's journey!
Tom
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:57 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Tom, you are probably right about the controls. I had misunderstood the reflex jig and since it's been ages since I've flown my wing I forgot what was a good amount of elevon movement.

I'll see what I can do about the log book tomorrow. I just attempted to attach it here and RCG's is giving me a 3mb files size limit for pdfs and the file I made is just under 10mb.

-Jonathan
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:17 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,529 Posts
Can you split it into 4 files?
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 27, 2012, 03:19 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
Can you split it into 4 files?
Yeah, thats what I'll end up doing, just a bit lazy at the moment since it's almost 1:30AM here in SoCal.

-Jonathan
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
5,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
Seriously, how hard can a wing be to fly right?

Ok, here's the retrieval! Not for the feint of heart.

http://youtu.be/95qST-ESY48

-Jonathan
You got there and back pretty quick. You must be part mountain goat!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
You got there and back pretty quick. You must be part mountain goat!
Tom, oddly enough that trail is one of the better trails I've had to take there. Probably because it's used less and less eroded. The hiking pole really helps too.

I've split up the log book file so I could attach it here. Enjoy!

-Jonathan
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:24 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
I flew it at Lilly's in about 10mph no problem, but in bigger winds like 15-20+ it really moves out and carves up some sky.
Tom, that comment from you had me asking myself all last night and this morning if I really was ok going home with my tail between my legs. From the brief flight I had, I thought trying again really would be a waste of time and all joking aside that cliff REALLY isn't fun to hike. Well I had planned to ship it later in the afternoon after work, and so it was still in my car when I hit Fermin for lunch. Even though I had my newly trimmed and programmed Speedo ready to test I really felt the Dom calling for redemption.

Checking the wind conditions and seeing it was at 14-16mph was the last straw and I undid my work from last night reinserted the Rx you had left in it (and which I'll be returning to you) and set her up. This time I figured out how to use the reflex jig, greatly reduced my 2 throw settings for both elevator and aileron and then there was nothing left to do but give it another shot and wow...

I can say she's not a real great inverted flier and tight rolls can turn into a windmill heading strait down, but for less tight quick and sharp aerobatics she flew absolutely beautifully. Being slighty on the heavier side she really carried momentum through turns and like you said, she really "carves up the sky".

I took another video and will post it tonight as it's considerably longer and would take a couple hours or so here at work to upload. I actually haven't checked it out yet so I'm hoping it turned out ok.

So it has officially been re-flown at Fermin and will be moving on to Cory and the Soar Utah 2012 event. I will keep it one more night though as I believe there were two (2) spare servos in the box, but when I opened it a little while ago I only saw one (1). It may have fallen out and be hidding somewhere in the crevices of my car or on the garage floor so I'd like to double check before taking it to the post man.

-Jonathan

P.S. Here's a few current pics of the box. A true part of the Dom's story and full of flavor. It now has an OCSS marker on it for good luck and continued good lift.