HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,302 Posts
If I go anywhere today, that's where I'll be.
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2012, 12:17 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Cool! Hope to see you guys there.
Dave
SumthinsFishy is offline Find More Posts by SumthinsFishy
Old May 06, 2012, 01:50 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
If I go anywhere today, that's where I'll be.
Tom
Just came back from a run in the hills. Its windy here!! Loadin up my planes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumthinsFishy View Post
Cool! Hope to see you guys there.
Dave
You will...
67econoline is online now Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old May 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,302 Posts
The DOM made it's way to Bluff Park in Long Beach today. A number of people looked at it and read the log book, but only two guys besides myself took it for a ride. Quite a few people turned out there today. Lots of flying going on. I forgot to put my Spektrum receiver back in the DOM last night. Luckily, I had a new FrSky receiver in my flight bag. I had to program another radio on site though. Dave launched it for me and it only needed one click of down and one click of left trim to fly straight. A good bunch of people there.
Tom
Old May 07, 2012, 12:29 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Man, how cool! I flew the Dom again... just a little over six years to the day since I last flew it at Farren Road! It was fun to go back through the logbook and see all the places its been. Still flies just the same as I remembered!

I would like to recommend a Swiss spa treatment... it's heavy and was super prone to tipstalling in the 10-12mph conditions. I ignominiously put it on the beach doing same, happily right in the soft dry sand with no damage. Anyways just something to consider when the next rebuild happens, I bet it would be a different airplane at a lower weight

Either way, flying the Dom is a real experience and it's not to be missed!! So glad to fly it a second time

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 07:50 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
It was great to fly the Dom at my home slope yesterday. Tom flew it for awhile then handed me the transmitter saying be careful you need to keep the speed up. I said OK, and then tip-stalled and spun in on the first turn Oh well, no damage so we threw it out and I flew it for awhile before handing it off to Steve.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to fly it. It's a special experience.
Dave
Old May 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Feb 2006
958 Posts
Strange world!

Strange, is it not, the fact that the DOM, which I had a handful of a couple of years back, has now found its way back to Bluff Park, where I first set eyes on a Zagi, some twenty odd years ago and where I was virtually re-born back into sloping after a fews years lay-off!

NOW, as I recall reporting some time back, I had a real handfull of the DOM, tips-talling it into virtually un-chartable bramble territory on several occasions. I had, previously, built and owned two Zagis, one of which was considerable heavier than the DOM and had also built and (reasonably successfully) flown umpteen other slopers.

After moving c.g. back and forth like a yo-yo, modifying aileron throws until the cows came home, I thought I had it sorted and, suddenly, without warning, another tip-stall.

In the end I gave up and it was not until I stripped it down to get it back into its splendid box, that I found what I thought was the trouble - and it probably still is! I was committed to send it to Ireland with no further messing around and, thus, did not remedy the probable problem, but limited myself to informing the recipient that I had found that the rear joiner rod was undersize. I had taped it up, initially, in a hurry to get the photos and get it launched and had not noticed that a bit of extra effort (a strong gust together with a vigorous aileron movement?), COULD move the wings approx 1- 1/12mm. in relation to each other. Obviously such differential movement produced a vicous rolling tendency, you, instinctively over-correct, speed lost - high wing-loading - tip-stall - oh, bother

Might be worth checking this out......

As usual, thoughts of an old f**t.
doddlepots is offline Find More Posts by doddlepots
Old May 08, 2012, 01:14 PM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
I assembled the Dom at Bluff Park the other day. If I understand what you are saying, the rear joiner was a sloppy fit at the time. When I put it together the other day I impressed just how well the joiners fit, and how tight the whole thing seemed. Especially since it was just a friction fit, and no fasteners to hold it together. There didn't seem to be any sloppiness anywhere...
Dave
Old May 09, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Feb 2006
958 Posts
Right! At least that problem ruled out! Maybe Zipper could comment on the violent tip-stall tendency.....What have we been doing wrong? Where has the c.g. ended up? Where should it be? up/down aileron travel??? This clearly needs some serious consulting and, where better than in sunny California, home of Zagi's and all things (almost) that fly?

It would be splendid to see some new pictures and videos of the DOM really "ripping-up" the sky, as we saw it doing, just a few years ago, so come on, you youngsters, get the DOM sorted,again!
Old May 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,708 Posts
The CG should be at around 185mm from the LE at the root.
The pour old girl has seen a few miles and might have some twist in the wing. We first flew her in a 6mph breeze and there was no hint of tip stall but you do have to keep the speed up.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old May 09, 2012, 10:15 AM
Long to be flyin'
Wirral, (UK)
Joined Dec 2003
3,056 Posts
No tip stall 5 years ago, just needs to be twisted back into shape, hold root TE (not elevons) and twist tip TE up, best done in warmth (hair dryer), hold/clamp for few minutes or overnight and allow to cool, eyeball across TE for a resulting slight washout, repeat with other wing half, serve up off next available slope! Done it many times to ageing chevrons with tip droop!
Antonsoarer is offline Find More Posts by Antonsoarer
Last edited by Antonsoarer; May 12, 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Corrected LE/TE typo
Old May 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,302 Posts
I flew it at Kite Hill in about 8 mph and Misty Ridge too. It's not a featherweight wing that can be floated on the edge of stall speed. I will check for wing twist tonight and tune it if necessary. I would also like to make some new winglets like the originals.
Tom
Old May 09, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Feb 2006
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
I flew it at Kite Hill in about 8 mph and Misty Ridge too. It's not a featherweight wing that can be floated on the edge of stall speed. I will check for wing twist tonight and tune it if necessary. I would also like to make some new winglets like the originals.
Tom
I am sure Zipper will be about to add: "Good on yer, mate!"

Maybe, after this time in California, it is time to get the DOM back to Zipper, so that he can put in in a museum or something and build us all a NEW Dom!
Old May 09, 2012, 04:08 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonsoarer View Post
just needs to be twisted back into shape, hold root TE (not elevons) and twist tip LE up
Isn't that backwards? Isn't the wingtip TE higher with washout?
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old May 10, 2012, 12:10 AM
Airplane Killer
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,710 Posts
Now that you mention it, yeah, washout keeps the tips from stalling by lowering the angle of attack at the tips. So you do want to raise the T.E.
Dave