HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:07 PM
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Apr 2009
107 Posts
Dom - Battery

After reading several posts, I just want to make sure that I have the right info... According to a sticker placed near the battery, it says that there is a 2000mAh Eneloop battery pack installed at the Dom.

Could someone confirm this to me please? I just want to double check (without opening the plane) before I start the "charging" stage of the battery cycler.

Thanks!

Juan
Multeric is offline Find More Posts by Multeric
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:49 PM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
I requested it come to Idaho many months back. I'm still interested. I'll fly it in the snow if it comes here.
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:43 AM
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Apr 2010
435 Posts
More then happy to do the organizing locally if it comes back to our part of the world. Didn't know what slope was when it came thru last time, would love the chance to be a part of its journey.
James
Redfarren is offline Find More Posts by Redfarren
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:17 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
After Idaho I would love to fly it in Nevada.
ian murdock is offline Find More Posts by ian murdock
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Sky Surfers
USA, ID, Hailey
Joined Apr 2005
2,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
I requested it come to Idaho many months back. I'm still interested. I'll fly it in the snow if it comes here.
I'll join ya when it shows up !
T'would be cool around Soar Utah time .
-=RCpeterV=- is online now Find More Posts by -=RCpeterV=-
Old Nov 19, 2011, 06:24 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multeric View Post
After reading several posts, I just want to make sure that I have the right info... According to a sticker placed near the battery, it says that there is a 2000mAh Eneloop battery pack installed at the Dom.

Could someone confirm this to me please? I just want to double check (without opening the plane) before I start the "charging" stage of the battery cycler.

Thanks!

Juan
Yes it is. I put it in just a few weeks ago. (Post #812)

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Apr 2009
107 Posts
DOM - Peruvian report (part 2)

So today was the big day!

I started by making sure that the battery cycled OK and then installed my receiver to work on the radio settings. Even though both "elevons" were working OK, Alex (my flying buddy) and I kept hearing a strange noise from the left wing of the Dom.

We applied VERY SMALL resistance to the left elevon to test that everything was OK, only to find out that there was a problem with the servo. Apparently, the servo gears were broken!

We carefully removed the yellow covering and examined the servo. At that point, we discovered that the servo was OK, and that it was only the servo arm that was broken (I have attached a pic of this and will later put a video of this whole experience). Fortunately, I always keep spare Futaba arms so we were able to quickly change the servo arm and then put the servo back in place.

After working on the radio mixes, the Dom was ready for the slope!

We arrived at the Gandhi slope at around 2:30pm. Our sloper friends were already anxiously waiting for the Dom. The wind was kind of sluggish at 5-6 mph, but the shape of the bowl-shape of the slope still produced decent lift for us to be able to fly the Dom.

We were a little bit scared and hesitant about throwing the Dom for its maiden flight given the fact that there was little air. We decided to try the lift first with a different sailplane. We launch a locally-designed sailplane which flew without any problems, so now it was time for the Dom.

Abraham threw the Dom into the slope while Alex worked on the controls. I was in charge of taking pics and filming the whole experience. The Dom "fell" a little bit at first through the slope, but after gaining some momentum, it started flying beautifully accross the Lima shoreline!!!

All our friend took turns flying the Dom. We have spent the entire evening flying the Dom and other sailpanes at our slope and had a real blast doing so!

We are really happy and feel very privileged to have been able to fly such a significant plane on our Peruvian slopes so thank you to all the guys who have made this possible! And we certainly hope that the Dom continues its journey accross the globe for several years more!

This coming week, I will be sending the Dom to its next location. I will also be working on a video with the footage that we took at our slope today.

Cheers,

Juan
Old Nov 20, 2011, 01:12 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,707 Posts
Very cool Juan. Nice pic's.
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:42 AM
cranium accessories
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
Is it destined for another place yet? Your Lima spot looks nice! We have the laminar sea air, but the dunes are limited. Inland spots are rare and man-made. I would love to have it for a moment though. I will send some veggie chili (or whatever you will eat) along to the next breif owners. There are a number of thermal DLG guys in Raleigh that would help complete the picture while its here. There are a couple good dams for slope.
dustn is offline Find More Posts by dustn
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:38 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
Spoke with Alex on Skype over flying the dom the other day good to hear its still going after all these years I think it was 2006 I had my hands on it .
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:33 PM
Boca Raton, FL
Joined Apr 2009
107 Posts
Hey guys? Is there someone who decides where the plane should go next???

Please advise!

Thanks,

Juan
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:07 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,348 Posts
Here's my request from Sept. 2010: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=709
Cory is offline Find More Posts by Cory
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:38 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,707 Posts
I guess if there is enough that what it in the state's that missed it the first time, then back to the US it goes.
Cory, can you make arrangements with Juan to get it shipped over?
ZIPPER is online now Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:07 AM
South Africa, KZN, Pietermaritzburg
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
DOM In South Africa.

If the DOM ever makes it to South Africa, I would be extremely happy to be considered for a chance at being a custodian.
DrakensFlyer is offline Find More Posts by DrakensFlyer
Old Nov 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
Hey Zipper , after talking with Alex about it I think they had way to much control throws happening as he said it was very tip stally perhaps we need to have the throws and CG for the Dom written in the front of the log book ? Or isit already there some where ?
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban