HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 01:02 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
Wow, amazing that this thing is still going and going strong. A great tribute to our friend Eric.

http://jartworld.com/jartworld_vids/wst_dom.html
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:31 PM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
402 Posts
Had another play last night - bit more of a blow this time really good fun!!
Conwy-Soarer is offline Find More Posts by Conwy-Soarer
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:19 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Keep going John. I'll be over soon. Maybe not this weekend, but you can bet I won;t be watching any royal weddings if there's good great orme flying to be had!

Andy
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Apr 08, 2011, 01:44 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk View Post
Keep going John. I'll be over soon. Maybe not this weekend, but you can bet I won;t be watching any royal weddings if there's good great orme flying to be had!

Andy
The kids really love the Dominator with its extra weight and stiffer wings and surfaces, a few of the better guys have been pimping their squidgy foamies with CFRP spars etc to try and improve flight performance - havent got round to bagging elevons yet in CFRP! Off to Killington in the States on Monday skiing so hopefully we can meet sometime when I get back. I have 2 weeks off after the trip and I am sure the Orme will play ball with a good blow!

Jon
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:06 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
At what point does this thing qualify for the "R/C Aircraft Flown by The Most People In The Most Places" record?

I wonder if my kids will fly it someday? They weren't even born yet when I flew the Dom. Amazing.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
Great Orme
Joined Aug 2003
402 Posts
Well its been packed up and handed over to Slopetrashuk for a much need service before it goes on its travels (to Italy I think).
Old May 15, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Glenn, Drop me a PM with instructions for the next in line. I'll give her a service and send her on her way asap.
Looks like new wing joiners req'd and perhaps a few cycles of the battery and a bit of a tart up.

Andy
Old May 17, 2011, 05:38 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
2006 to 2011 and still going strong
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 18, 2011, 06:53 AM
Tearing the Skies a new one...
Sweden: Ystad
Joined Oct 2004
4,013 Posts
Does rather make you proud doesn't it?
Sensiblenick is offline Find More Posts by Sensiblenick
Old May 21, 2011, 07:47 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Righto, I am please to announce that our dear friend the Global Dominator is is moderately good shape. Any repairs are cosmetic but there is a bit to do to ensure longevity.
It won't take long and I'm on it now.
The root rib on one side is cracked quite badly and this has been the case for a while but it is much worse since I last had the Dom in June 2008!
An easy fix with my new Beli CA (the black carbon ultra strong one). The main joiner is shot. I have some 8mm carbon to hand so will cut one and a spare.
The battery plug is dodgy and has worked loose since it was replaced in Ireland. I will change the battery to a 2000mAh Eneloop Nimh and post a sticker over the compartment so all will know.
The covering is in reasonable shape but i have stripped off the Union Flag and the 'Euro' stars I gave it when I recovered the original job. I invite suggestions for a revised 'global' scheme which can be achieved quickly with tape and trim.
I will also replace the Silver Stickers with the black set Julian Beckett made that arrived too late for me to use.
New tip fins are required. I will make three sets. All of the fins it had when last here are missing.
The snake outers are cracked just in front of the horns. I have some moulded fairings that will do the job nicely and offer a little more protection.
The hinges need cosmetic attention and the nose either side of the root ribs is understandably compressed. I will try to get a little Gorilla Glue injected in there to toughen it up. Also the tips of the carbon bagged elevons are slightly delaminated. About 2 seconds of a job to fix with cyano.
New holes are required to hold the box closed securely so I will drill those and fill the old ones. Thats about it.
It's nice to see it still going.
I was wondering if everyone had been paying to fly it - Given that its purpose is supposed to be raising charity money etc.
I'm happy to repair for free and ship to Itlay as required but are funds there for other people to use?

Also I still have not had a reply to my PM's to the next recipient. Doesn't the Dom have to be at some Italian slope fest or something?

Lets have your colour scheme ideas. Be quick!

Andy
UK
Last edited by slopetrashuk; May 21, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,705 Posts
That is very generous of you Andy.
I did send of a PM to Luka and I am still waiting on his reply.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old May 22, 2011, 03:38 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,379 Posts
Just a thought but bring her home for September Manilla slope fest.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old May 26, 2011, 05:31 AM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
Oh, Italy?

Andy, are you sending it to me in Greece or in Italy after the repairs?

Does it have a hook underneath to bungee launch it if wind is bad on the slope? If not, do you think we will need one or not... ?
DeltaMan is offline Find More Posts by DeltaMan
Old May 26, 2011, 07:46 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,705 Posts
I would prefer if it was not put up on a bungee as it puts to much stress on it.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old May 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMan View Post
Oh, Italy?

Andy, are you sending it to me in Greece or in Italy after the repairs?

Does it have a hook underneath to bungee launch it if wind is bad on the slope? If not, do you think we will need one or not... ?

Its coming to you in Greece buddy. Luka in Italy has bailed. Just waiting for the new battery to arrive then you can see her new colours and trim before I ship.

Glenn, I have the address now.

Andy
UK