SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ZIPPER, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:08 PM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Soarer
That tape job is lookin a little rough around the edges. How's it holding up? Is she about due for some new threads?

Dave
Actually its not that bad. I'm going to reshrink it before I send it but there is only one small rip on the tape.
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2006, 10:49 PM
Fly~Crash~Repair~Repeat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
Nice. It's good to hear that she's not taken too many unnecessary impacts.

Dave
SLO Soarer is offline Find More Posts by SLO Soarer
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:12 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
I just realized this weekend that I have the extra tape in my shop. I'll get Ed's address and ship it to him.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Dec 11, 2006, 09:23 AM
Fly~Crash~Repair~Repeat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
Way to go Reed.....nothing like holding up the whole thing.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:13 AM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,066 Posts
its on way.
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
Old Dec 13, 2006, 10:52 AM
Just an A&P mechanic
Joined Sep 2002
372 Posts
if none takes it o the east coast we can fly it. if not thatll be ok too.
Spaceship13 is offline Find More Posts by Spaceship13
Old Dec 13, 2006, 11:11 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
I was just having a look at this video again and it gave me such a sweet, melancholy feeling that I had to re-post it. BillO, slopemeno and I did some sky surfing in honor of our flying friend Eric.

http://www.jartworld.com/jartworld_vids/wst_dom.html
Old Dec 13, 2006, 04:13 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
The Map has been updated again, TX & KS on the map - still could use the exif data, but it's ok.
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Dec 13, 2006, 07:52 PM
Fly~Crash~Repair~Repeat
San Luis Obispo, CA
Joined Aug 2005
302 Posts
I must have missed the video for some reason. Reed, I must say, that is one bad @$$ video. Whoever put that together, well done. It definately does give a bit of a somber feeling.

Kudos Reed.

Dave
Old Dec 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
SkyKing's on the Map!

Ed Berris emailed me his pics! The Map is updated again!
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Dec 17, 2006, 02:04 PM
California
Joined Dec 2005
1,121 Posts
Great video.
1toslope is offline Find More Posts by 1toslope
Old Dec 23, 2006, 08:38 PM
WHAT? I flew this year!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2002
259 Posts
DOM arrived in Milwaukee

Got the plane from Ed Berris today. First good wind day and we'll get 'er out.

Anyone going to Jim Porter's Overdose on Soaring '07 in a couple of weeks? I'll bring it down to fly at Sailorville Dam in Des Moines and pass it on if anyone will carry the flame, otherwise I'll ship it whereever.

Greg
gsmith is offline Find More Posts by gsmith
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:40 AM
Joined Nov 2006
34 Posts
RCGroups World Slope Tour

Hi Reed,

I clicked on this link to download your Dom video but it would not download. Next I right clicked on the linked and "save target as" and it worked. But the link is tied to the wrong video clip. LOL It shows a different glider than the Dom.

Just thought you might want to know. It too is a nice video, but I would still like to get the Dom video.

Thanks,

Don
alaskaeagle is offline Find More Posts by alaskaeagle
Old Jan 14, 2007, 01:08 AM
WHAT? I flew this year!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2002
259 Posts
Iowa has been Dominated!

Friday the 12th.

Rob, Dave and Greg went flying at the Saylorville Dam near Des Moines, IA a couple of times this weekend and we had the World Tour Dom slope plane along. I tried to get the Dom going on Friday but there still seemed to be some severe binding on the elevons, so much that the alarm in the plane was beeping, so Dave and I decided to forego a flight and work on it in the evening at Jim's with the hopes that tomorrow would be better. We had good frontside lift on Friday with a bit of DS thrown in for good measure. Did I mention that it was 15 degrees (-9C). That wind was pretty cold.

At Jim's I disconnected the servos of the Dom at the control horn and found the elevons almost unmovable. There sure was a lot of tape on that thing! I could push hard on the inboard end and the tip was nearly stationary. No wonder it did not fly well on the brief test flight I had in Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago. So, I cut off the elevons to rehinge them, a job that Dave took over, and now it is free moving and should fly well. Wind still looked look good for Saturday so we made plans to go back to the dam on Saturday AM.

Saturday the 13th

With the World Tour plane repaired and ready to go we headed to the Saylorville Dam at about 10 AM. We were met with 10 degre -(12C) temps and 10mph winds straight in to the dam. Nice!

I took the first flight and got the plane trimmed out and was please to find that the plane flies well again. It is fast for a wing and was maneuverable as well as nice and aerobatic. After several minutes of frontside aerobatic action I handed the controls over to Rob who spent a minute or two on the front getting the feel and proceeded to walk across the road to drop in to the backside. The Dom did well in the DS groove with Rob doing a variety of backside paths. Dave took the final turn at the sticks and we were all getting pretty cold after about 20 minutes so we parked the Dom, flew a couple of other planes and called it a day as the wind began to subside. All in all a good time at the dam.

I handed the Dominator off to Rob who is taking it to South Dakota for some flights there before it heads East. Most likely it will end up in Kentucky after its stop in South Dakota on its way East.

Greg Smith
slopeflyer.com
gsmith is offline Find More Posts by gsmith
Old Jan 14, 2007, 01:45 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,024 Posts
Now that's some devoted sloping! Nice work fellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaeagle
Hi Reed,

I clicked on this link to download your Dom video but it would not download. Next I right clicked on the linked and "save target as" and it worked. But the link is tied to the wrong video clip. LOL It shows a different glider than the Dom.

Just thought you might want to know. It too is a nice video, but I would still like to get the Dom video.

Thanks,

Don
The link is fixed. Thanks for the heads up, Don.

Last edited by Reed; Jan 14, 2007 at 02:04 AM.