HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:13 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Help!
HELP NEEDED! Ailerons with 4 Channel reciever.

Hello. I picked up a used Mach Dart this evening from a local seller. I am trying to get everything setup but am having trouble. The plane is RTF but it came with a JR positive shift RX and of course I have a Hitec negative shift TX. So, I took my berg 4L out of my combatwing and now I cant seem to get the ailerons to work since aparantly they need to plug into channels 1&5 and I only have 4. What the heck? How do people fly planes with 3 and 4 channel radios then? I'm only using 2 channels, aileron and elevator, so I am confused as to why I need a 5 channel reciever. I have a hitec Flash 5x radio. Do I seriously have to buy a new RX or is there something I am missing here?

Thanks

-Hank
hanknmorgan is offline Find More Posts by hanknmorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:42 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
hank -

What model Transmitter do you have? The solution may depend a lot on that.

Take care,

--Noel

P.S. If its an Optic6, you're either dealing with aileron differential or flaperon settings issues; and what you'll need to do is set PMX1 or PMX2 to have channel 5 as the master and channel 4 as the slave at 100%. Turn that PMX to always-on in the "MX SS" setup area and plug your second aileron servo into the proper spot on the receiver. Enjoy!

P.P.S. If it *is* an Optic6, did you know that you can switch it to a Positive-Shift mode?? So you could use the receiver that came with it (if you have the proper channel / crystal of course).
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:49 AM
Joined Feb 2006
82 Posts
you can get a joiner cable "Y" for the ailerons and plug them to the chanel 1 , .
AND WALLA!
luisjgc is offline Find More Posts by luisjgc
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:52 AM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
That's a pretty cool workaround Noel! Looks like he has a flash 5x radio though.
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:58 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
I do have the flash 5x. I got the mixing setup correctly with a aileron-rudder mixing function set to 100% in both negative and positive movement range. Works like a charm. Even the dual rates setup on channel 1 work proportionately with the mixed channel 4. I thought I had solved the problem until I setup my spoilerons and found that only the channel 1 servo worked. So, I guess the mix doesnt work with flaps/spoilers. Bummer. Any other options. Would the "Y" connector deal mentioned above work, or would that not allow me to use spoilerons either?
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:59 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Hank,

You'll have to get a NEG shift Rx if you want to keep using your Flash5x, there's no way around the shift problem.

The channel assignments for a Flash5x are:

1. AIL
2. ELE
3. THROTTLE/FLAP
4. RUD
5. AIL or GEAR or FLAP

Most 60" slope moldies are designed to use 2 wing servos at a minimum, 4 wing servos if they have flaps.

I'm assuming you have 2 wing servos, a left and a right. These will get assigned to Ch1 and Ch5. Some gliders only use one servo to control both the L & R ailerons, but this has a disadvantage in that you can't control each aileron independently - which means you can't do spoilerons/flaperons for landing (both ailerons down or both up) and other fancy operations you're probably not aware of yet (snap-flap, camber, etc).

An easy way out is to get a 6ch Rx like a Hitec Electron. If you want to plan ahead for the day you may fly with 4 servos in the wing (ailerons & flaps), then you'll want at least a 7ch or 8ch Rx. The FMA Quantum 8ch is priced really well at $49.95 right now, I just got one. They're available in either POS or NEG shift. www.fmadirect.com. Crystal is $10, shipping is $6.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:04 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanknmorgan
Would the "Y" connector deal mentioned above work, or would that not allow me to use spoilerons either?
A Y won't allow spoilerons/flaperons. Also, no open programmable mixes on a Flash5x.

This is right about the time when lots of folks start thinking about the next radio. You can probably fly your Flash5x for awhile, but when you upgrade, take my advice and go BIG - get something like a Multiplex Evo9, JR9303, or a Futaba 9CAS. This will save you $ in the long run.

Lance
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:05 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Dang it. That's not what I wanted to hear, but kind of what I figured after playing with this thing for a while. I guess I will just have to pick up another reciever. Luckily, I can sell the JR R700 that came with the plane as it's the wrong shift for my radio.
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:25 AM
Seattle, WA
Joined Aug 2005
692 Posts
hank -

Yeah, the Flash5X will work ok with a 5/6 channel receiver for a lot of that stuff; but I agree with hydrogin when it comes to transmitters.

I have a couple of Laser4's (basic 4-channel) and an Optic6. The Lasers are great for simple things like flying wings. The Optic6 is good for DLGs and full-span-aileron type planes... But it is just *not quite* complex enough for really tricky things with flaps & ailerons (like differential and flaperons at the same time, or full-trailing-edge camber adjustment slaved to the throttle stick, or flaps mixed with ailerons to provide extra roll control on big full-house planes). The Optic is a really sweet radio for its price - but if I ever upgrade I'll save up the $$ and "go big" so I have the ability to do all of these things without having to kludge them in, like I currently do with the Optic.

Take care,

--Noel
NWade is offline Find More Posts by NWade
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:25 AM
Joined Jan 2006
279 Posts
Are spoilerons crucial on a mach dart. I have read that they dont really help as much as on some other planes. I hate to have to get a new reciever, especially if the spoilerons are hardly effective. The mixing I have setup is perfect for flight and works very well on the ailerons on channels 1&4, it's just the spoilerons/flaperons that are not working with the mix.
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:45 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
That probably depends on the conditions, landing approaches, and LZ available to you. Moldies have a much greater ability to glide than a typical foamie. So under some conditions, when you bring a moldie in to land, it will want to keep going, and going, and going ... that's when spoilerons can help. It'll stop that puppy from sliding out of the LZ and pancake it in, albeit without slowing down. Better than applying down-elevator and nosing it in because the attitide is still level with proper elevator compensation (don't recall if the Flash5x does that, I think it does).

But at my fav slope, the landing approach is such that you fly parallel to the slope, then dogleg into the wind, which really slows the ship down. Even in 35mph winds and crazy lift, its possible to land a moldie safely at this site without spoilerons/flaperons (or butterfly/crow for that matter - using flaps).

So the answer is ... it depends

Lance