HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:36 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
Discussion
would this battery charger be an ok choice for a extreme budget limit?

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2083

I'm on an extreme budget...would that be ok to use to charge a 3s lipo? its a 1250mah pack.
chase4556 is offline Find More Posts by chase4556
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:39 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
It would be OK - but this would be much better if you can swing it....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHNW5&P=ML

A charger is essential to e-flight that is one area where I don't skimp - at all.

Use it, but save the $$ to get a decent charger...

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
i may see what I can do. I'm ordering parts from 3 different places, i will get a sub. total, and see what I can do.

thanks. if I dont, I may be able to swing my parents into getting my one for my b-day that I havnt gotten anything for yet(was on the 7th).

Also, what do I do as far as connecting the battery to the charger and to my ESC? Just solder together connectors like I would any battery and ESC? I'm getting some deans and what not.

THANKS!!
Chase
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:56 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Also, what do I do as far as connecting the battery to the charger and to my ESC? Just solder together connectors like I would any battery and ESC? I'm getting some deans and what not.
Yep deans are good connectors. Use the female on the battery (so the posts are not exposed as they could short) and male on the ESC. Then you make a charer adapter with the male ends from the charger.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:59 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
alright, thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 05:31 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase4556
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=2083

I'm on an extreme budget...would that be ok to use to charge a 3s lipo? its a 1250mah pack.
The less money you spend on battery chargers, the more money you will spend replacing Screwed up battery packs. Its kinda like an inverse law.

If you charge 3 cell lipo packs on a cheap low technology chaeger without balance charging them, you will ruin them in a short period of time.

I will tell you a story. In my school the Technology department use lots of NICAD / NIMH battery powered electric drills and screwdrivers. The battery packs for these are cheap. We seemed to go through them like hotcakes using the standard battery chargers that look like:

The head of Technology wants to spend 180 ($300) on a charger that looks like this:

Most people would look him the eye and say - you must be a crazy man to want to spend $300 on a charger to charge battery packs that cost $10??? Wouldnt you agree?

A few years on, the charger has already paid for itself, and now, every day it saves us a little more money Why? Because each $10 battery pack lasts 25 times as long as they did when we were charging them with the low technology, el-cheapo bog standard chargers that they came with.

Every day the battery packs get discharged and cycled correctly ready for the next day - and they are kept healthy by the advanced computer control on the charger.

Now these were $10 batteries for drills. You are talking about $50 or more batteries for your helicopter - the leson above applies even more so with LI-PO batteries.

If your in to this hoby for just a month, fine, spend next to nothing on a crap charger. However if you are into this hobby for the long haul, do your batteries justice and save yourself money. Buy a decent charger.

Thanks

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Mar 01, 2006, 01:34 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Well I must say that since you know that it must be 3S charger, and current does not exceed packs ratings then you are not completely green. In light of this I will give you different advice than others before me

The tricky part is this : Lipo charge algorithm is a very simple one, and charger in question will charge your packs just about the same as 100$ charger thats set for 3S and 1A current.... (unlike example about NiCd/NiMH packs and chargers in the post above....)
So just get 8$ charger and be done with it GWS stuff seems to be pretty reliable too.
You will need to get a DVM (digital voltmeter) that can be bought for as low as 9$ , its a necessary tool for anyone in this hobby!

If your packs have tap plugs I would start saving for balancer, economy choice would be Astro blinky or one of the new cheap units that are coming out to market from various vendors... Still, for now you don't really need it, as packs can be balanced using small bulb and DVM....

Good luck and read on here, you will find lots of good info, and meet new friends

PS I do own various nice chargers, but my latest addition to charger fleet was similar, simple 3S 1A wall charger (From different vendor and different brand) And you know what>? I really like it!
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Mar 01, 2006, 07:41 AM
Houston Texas
Joined Mar 2001
743 Posts
I'm going to agree with Hovertime, a simple charger is good enough because the lipo charge algorithm is rather simple. Unlike the Nicd or Nimh cells, there is no delta peak detection. You simply charge to a certain voltage and you are done, well sort of.
Some say buy cheap and buy twice, but on lipos I disagree, its nice to have multiple chargers. For years I've been using a simple homemade charger with no balancing features, but then again I don't have high dollar packs. Nimh cells are the only thing my 40 size aircraft have seen.
Philip
fill is offline Find More Posts by fill