HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2006, 03:58 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen
Jojo, you mention 3 planes with in the middle "my new Pike Giant", i guess that must be "my new Pike Perfect", right?
So you'll end up with 3 full spectrum planes. Is Samba not becoming his own competitor now doing Superior,Giant and Perfect? Smells lik market domination
Jurgen.
Ooops. Well the Supra is Kennedy Composites and Vladimir Gavrilko. I still think I need to test that plane. I have seen Kiesling fly his...
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
Watervliet, Mich.
Joined Sep 2003
1,440 Posts
thanks for the report Jo.

isn't that extremely heavy mono for those conditions, which you would be
giving up a ton of height ???

or i should say those numbers would be even more impressive on lighter line.

I wouldn't use that size unless it was blowing 20 plus mph.
(or maybe i read something wrong)

dh
dhauch is offline Find More Posts by dhauch
Last edited by dhauch; Mar 16, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:02 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
I use what was left on the winch last time I was out. On the other hand the evening flights in 5-6m/s (11-13mph) with this model the line would be old very fast. Could probably fly 10 safe flights with 1,15mm and 30-40 with a 1,25mm. In F3J there is no point in having the perfect line. If you get a line break you loose that round.
Another issue is that if you can perform with a thick line on practice you will perform even better with a thin line in competition.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:07 AM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,445 Posts
Thick line on winch also, perhaps, simulates 2-man running tow better.

Is there room for 15mm flap servo in Perfect? I am not thinking of Volz....

Is that colour sceme the new "official" Samba painting? I mean the stripes. I have seen pictures of Giant Brio sporting similar sceme.
Tuomo is online now Find More Posts by Tuomo
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:05 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhauch
thanks for the report Jo.

isn't that extremely heavy mono for those conditions, which you would be
giving up a ton of height ???

or i should say those numbers would be even more impressive on lighter line.

I wouldn't use that size unless it was blowing 20 plus mph.
(or maybe i read something wrong)

dh
This is the reason for heavy lines... see picture...
When setting up a big model like this I try to find were the model pulls as much as possible first. And the Pike Perfect is capable of pulling A LOT.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:14 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo
Thick line on winch also, perhaps, simulates 2-man running tow better.

Is there room for 15mm flap servo in Perfect? I am not thinking of Volz....

Is that colour sceme the new "official" Samba painting? I mean the stripes. I have seen pictures of Giant Brio sporting similar sceme.
On the flaps you can fit even bigger... On the ailerons the is good room for 13mm but might be that you can fit more. Have to meassure.

The scheme is the same as David Hobby has on his Giant. Though I have different colors. Samba is capable of making any scheme but they often say no if it is too complicated. Stripes etc. is easy. Wait untill you see the scheme of Philip's windy layup Perfect. That is cool.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:17 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Here is what I wrote in my diary today: ( www.jojoen.no )

-----
- Today I could have gone down... While I made myself ready to fly a car came down to the ice. It stopped before it came out to the field and backed up a bit. I prepared myself to launch when I took a look at the car again. A guy came out with a small park flyer Cub and started to fly!!!! I grabbed the clubs scanner and checked though normally those park flyers are on 27Mhz (I fly 35Mhz). The scanner showed a strong signal on 35.010mhz and also a LOT of distortion on all other channels. I walked over to him and it was a guy from Lithuania that works here as a short time painter. Well I know painters are sometimes affected by paint fumes but this was too stupid too be true. The guy understood what I said and stopped flying luckily...
Now over too the flying...
Now I could finally get in the air with my Pike Perfect and the conditions were awesome (with that I mean warm and sunny) though very few thermals this week strangely enough. -3-4 celcius and almost no wind at all. Same 1,35mm line was on the winch and sadly I had only a 1,15 in the car because this baby pulls a lot if you want it too. I broke the line (have probably 50 starts on it) and tied it two times before I gave up. If you buy a Pike Perfect and want to launch hard you should order heavy lines at the same time as the model... (Samba does not sell lines..). Today I wanted to test Philip's CG (107mm) and also some ballast. I am given a couple of prototype ballast systems by Samba and tested them both. One is a whole bar that I don't like. With this one can not adjust the CG but I have found a solution to that (see picture). The other one is a clever system with a rod that you can slide in as much ballast you want. I like that one. But one can also use standard slugs as the tube is sealed in the back. Instead of carrying those long bars around I will probably use slugs...
To test the CG I just placed some lead in front of the servos and made a separate memory since I knew I would need some other neutral and elevator throws. I could say immediately that I did not like it. The model become more slow on the sticks and the nose pulls up immediately on speed changes. Sadly I forgot my logger but the performance looked good. So one can off course fly with this CG. The model is also more stable off course but too my liking too much stable. It will not indicate lift other than with speed changes and some other small changes.
What amazed me was that with 600g of ballast the model performs VERY well even in calm conditions. I did not bother to adjust the CG since I ended up on 112mm with the bar I used. I did not fly more the 2 flights with lead in so no other CG was tested. I beginning to think that Philip's calculations on performance versus weight might be correct. The hang time was just as well or even better strangely enough ;-) This might have something to do with the CG also but more testing will reveal that.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:00 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Nov 2004
47 Posts
Antena solution

Jojo, could you explain how did you make reciever antenna, please? I don't see it on the pictures. Some close pictures would be great.
komar is offline Find More Posts by komar
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by komar
Jojo, could you explain how did you make reciever antenna, please? I don't see it on the pictures. Some close pictures would be great.
Very simple. Solution 4 on http://www.f3j.com/antenna.htm
I used a 35mhz MPX Mini IPD DS (9ch). But I would probably have used a SMC14 (JR770) if I had one on 35mhz.
Old Mar 23, 2006, 12:44 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
BTW more updates in my diary. See no need to copy all of it in here... jojoen.no/diary

Regards Jojo
Old Apr 02, 2006, 04:17 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
The Pike Perfect has demonstrated its perfection in the Istanbul Eurotour F3J event that finished today, where Philip Kolb was first and JoJo was third, both with Pike Perfect. Second place went to Colin Lucas with Pike Superior.

Congratulations to all, specially for JoJo who was "silly" enough to win the FairPlay award for declaring that he had crossed the security corridor at the wrong height, even though the judges didn't see it...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Apr 02, 2006, 06:07 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
Shows you what can happen to a good guy doing it right, not sure that happens all the time, but it should.

Marc

Congrats to you guys in Turkey, would like to get to play there someday.
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Apr 02, 2006, 07:09 PM
UAS Test Pilot
Norway
Joined Jul 2003
1,130 Posts
Congrats Jojo!
SpeedMaster is offline Find More Posts by SpeedMaster
Old Apr 03, 2006, 10:56 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,474 Posts
Thanks guys!!!!!
Much appreciated.

Must say that the finals were a bit slope soaring but the preliminary rounds was very difficult. Model seems fine to me

Crappy mobile lines here in Turkey but now on a hotel for the final day and nice wireless so I can catch up on some of the emails.

Some words in my diary (jojoen.no/diary)
Regards Jojo
Old Aug 01, 2008, 01:28 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
Have the Perfect's PK-91 through 94 airfoils ever been released?
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs