HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:36 PM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Discussion
Park Zone P-51D Brushless Conv.

Hey guys I own the Park Zone P-51D Mustang and am ready to convert it to a brushless setup with Lipo battery. What motor and battery would you suggest I purchase? Also, will I need anything else to get this new combo back in the air (charger, speed controller etc)? I really like the plane but the stock setup is a dog and makes flying a bit difficult.
Nat Ferguson is offline Find More Posts by Nat Ferguson
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:07 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Ferguson
Hey guys I own the Park Zone P-51D Mustang and am ready to convert it to a brushless setup with Lipo battery. What motor and battery would you suggest I purchase? Also, will I need anything else to get this new combo back in the air (charger, speed controller etc)? I really like the plane but the stock setup is a dog and makes flying a bit difficult.
That stock Brushed 600 motor and gearbox is perhaps in the 8 oz. and to balance out the model I would look into that Himax 3630-1000 or 3630-0780 depending if you are looking for high speed and minimual batteries "or" moderate batteries and larger propeller for thrust to equate the stock initial static thrust and continue to hand launch.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:35 PM
Pushing the Limits of FFF
United States, CA, Sierra Madre
Joined Jun 2005
1,167 Posts
Nat,
You might want to take a look at converting the geared setup over to a outrunner. The eflight 450 or ever the 480 and a 2100 3s lipo would be the way to go. There is a eflight P47 flying at my field with the 450 setup and it is a thing of beauty in the sky. The weight of the two are pretty close to the same. I would also put a 30A speedo in it, like the eflight ESC's. They make the correct recommendations depending on the motor choice. There are a lot of different chargers out there for lipos. I would get on that is automatic for the cell count, it makes it more user friendly and less likly to connect the wrong battery to the setting. Hope that this helps.

John
wirbech is online now Find More Posts by wirbech
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:47 PM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Thanks guys. I would prefer to stick with the gearbox. The less modification to the front of the plane the better. I'm looking for a motor that will mount in the stock location and utilize the current gear box setup. I have to ask, when referring to the Lipo battery what does "3s" mean? Carlos, I will need to continue the hand launch method and would prefer to use the stock pitch propeller. I guess that means moderate batteries and a large propeller.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:55 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. I would prefer to stick with the gearbox. The less modification to the front of the plane the better. I'm looking for a motor that will mount in the stock location and utilize the current gear box setup. I have to ask, when referring to the Lipo battery what does "3s" mean? Carlos, I will need to continue the hand launch method and would prefer to use the stock pitch propeller. I guess that means moderate batteries and a large propeller.
Okay, but, I am sure you are not thinking of using the stock plastic frame gearbox that comes with the model? I certainly would not know how to configure a motor with slightly different diameter and perhaps different size output shaft in comparision to the STOCK Speed 600.

The Himax suggestions that I posted are for Direct Drive setups to allow for an easier time converting. All you have to do is build up plywood railings and create a light ply firewall in place of the plastic gearbox and installl and secure the Himax direct drive motors using the half moon (36mm) motor mounts.

The 3630-0740 will allow to swing the same size/pitch of propeller that you have on the stock, if you like to keep but, you would need to install it on a prop. adapter of some sort.

I have seen the stock version fly and it is pretty impressive to watch and feel ripping (taking off) off from my hand with great thrust using the 9 round cells. Certainly, it does not have lightening speed but, that's because the setup was designed for hand launch and speed was sacrificed for thrust.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:08 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
The easiest fit is the Aon Thrust 3000. It's a direct fit in. You'll need to secure the pinion with some locktite and scuff up the shaft just a bit but it does work. Also be carefull as some people have had wing fold on them from too much power.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:13 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintauri
The easiest fit is the Aon Thrust 3000. It's a direct fit in. You'll need to secure the pinion with some locktite and scuff up the shaft just a bit but it does work. Also be carefull as some people have had wing fold on them from too much power.

Steve
Yes, indeed Vintauri is so correct.....someone at the park gave me his first P-51D that ended in a very ugly nose first crash...beleive it or not it is repairable and I have all the replacement parts...just not enough time....

The right wing on this model that I was given shows the inside of the hollow wing core and the only re-enforcement is a square like "FOAM" spar that runs just 45 % of the wing from the wing root.

Certainly, you attempt to fly this model with higher speeds and decide to pull up, I will see it as the next lawn dart coming down like a home sick dove. Perhaps this model is not a good canidate if someone is trying to fly it with more speed and perhaps the same wing loading.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:45 PM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Actually Carlos I'd like to retain the stock plastic motor mount and gear box. They are cheap and readily available at the Hobby store in the event of a crash. I'm not trying to build a super high speed plane, just improve the performance of the current model. Steve, do you know if I can use the stock radio with that motor? I'm sure I'll have to buy an aftermarket speed controller to use with it, correct?
Old Feb 27, 2006, 11:49 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Actually Carlos I'd like to retain the stock plastic motor mount and gear box. They are cheap and readily available at the Hobby store in the event of a crash. I'm not trying to build a super high speed plane, just improve the performance of the current model. Steve, do you know if I can use the stock radio with that motor? I'm sure I'll have to buy an aftermarket speed controller to use with it, correct?
Very good question.....I have not looked at the Receiver yet...but, connectors for Brushless Speed Control to the receiver is what needs to be figured out then.

Glad you are for scale and not "unlimited vertical" as many seek!

Carlos
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:02 AM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Well if the speed controller will work with my stock radio then this package looks to be the deal:

T2815-3500 and Phoenix 25 Speed Controller

Product Code: T281535-01PHX25

$127.99
Old Feb 28, 2006, 07:32 AM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
The stock radio will not work with the brushless esc without some serious mods. I believe someone had came up with a device to do it but it would cost more. Besides I think your going to want to swap out the servos if you go brushless. The stock ones are waek compared to standard hs-55's or S-75's.

Also you wont want the 3500 you'll want the 3002. The 3500 will pull way too many amps on the stock prop and will likely pull the gearbox off the plane after not too long. For a slip on fit you'll want the T2815-3002 motor. The T2815-3000 and T2815-3500 have a 3.2 mm shaft and you have to drill out your pinion to make it fit and that will probably cause issues with it failing sooner.

T281530-02PHX25 T2815-3002 and Phoenix 25 $127.99 would be your best bet for a package deal. But I would highly recommend you swap out the RX and servos too.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:45 AM
Seal Beach, CA
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Okay Steve. You know what, I meant to copy and paste the info for the 3000 and the Pheonix 25. I must have been half asleep. In a post earlier you said that the 3000 is a "direct fit it", but here you are saying to go with the 3002. Will either fit? And it sounds like I may be needing a new radio and servos.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 10:07 AM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
Yeah when I looked at the specs it's the 3002 that has the right sized shaft.... other then that they are the same motor I beleive. They will all fit the gearbox but the pinion is the problem.

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:46 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,665 Posts
There was a guy on here in the Park flyer section that did a big thing on this..Miklos...I think was his screen name...
Dora Nine is online now Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:23 PM
MN WATTS Master
Joined Jul 2003
7,378 Posts
I did some digging. Here is the post you'll want to look over.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=137

Steve
RCG Plus Member