HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
dirty machinist
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Jan 2006
159 Posts
Build Log
A beginners build of the Dumas 19' Racing Runabout

Well, this is my first ever boat...and I am pleasantly surprised at how easy the build is going so far. This is a great kit...the instructions are good, but they don't hold your hand through each step...which is kind of nice in my opinion (compared to RC car kits and whatnot). Building this versus a train kit car or an RC car kit has proven to be much more gratifying to me.

Right now, I am waiting for the 19 degree weather to break so I can go outside to start sealing the interior of the boat....as well as start to bondo a couple places on the hull. (i'm in an apartment-no garage )
Anyway...here are my pics thus far:

The scene:

Ready to bend the Chine strips:

Side planking completed, ready to start cockpit sides and hatch over.

The current state of affairs...and my new tool, the Mouse sander. I picked it up at Sears on sale this week....perfect for hulls!

The one thing that gave me trouble was getting a nice neat trim at the joint of the side planking toward the front of the hull. I am going to have to give this some attention before I start planking.
-=Odie=- is offline Find More Posts by -=Odie=-
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:49 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Odie, Your Racer is looking great! You just gotta' love that Sintra sub-planking too, don't you? Will be keeping an eye on this one! BTW, having built several of the Dumas CC offerings, I found the Racer to be far and away their very best design yet.
PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Dec 2005
1,228 Posts
Bondo

I would not use Bondo, it is heavy and stinks when used. Epoxy and Microballoons is far lighter and can be used indoors. Bondo can cause a model to be overweight, my first boat built as a teenager sat nose heavy.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:41 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,514 Posts
Steve's Right, Odie!

You don't want to use Bondo indoors, believe me! It's polyester based and the smell will make you ill.
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Feb 28, 2006, 06:53 PM
dirty machinist
Joined Jan 2006
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Odie, Your Racer is looking great! You just gotta' love that Sintra sub-planking too, don't you? Will be keeping an eye on this one! BTW, having built several of the Dumas CC offerings, I found the Racer to be far and away their very best design yet.
PAT
Pat,
Your thread on this same build was my main inspiration when deciding on a beginner kit to work on the rest of the winter. I just hope I am not spoiled when I get to my next build! The Sintra rocks, and the plastic did not require a lot of work to make it fit to my hull correctly either...Dumas did this one right for sure!

Still 22 degrees and snowing here today, so I have to wait another day or two until work resumes
Old Mar 01, 2006, 02:02 AM
Custom Course Wrecker..
Joined Dec 2004
417 Posts
Good luck, and keep posting those pics!!! Nice work!!!

Scott
ThrustTugKeith is offline Find More Posts by ThrustTugKeith
Old Mar 01, 2006, 09:15 AM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,565 Posts
That Mouse sander is a great little sander and with the right paper can be rather agressive. I'm on my second one, wore the first one out.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 01, 2006, 10:31 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,987 Posts
First build!!?!?!? This is looking SUPER, Odie!!! Good choice going with the mouse- it is a great tool to use on these boats- not too light, not too heavy to work with- my only complaint is that you have to use the "velcro" backed paper which doesn't come cheap and I always seem to be out of it right when I need it!!!

Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your progress!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 02, 2006, 08:56 PM
dirty machinist
Joined Jan 2006
159 Posts
Thank you for the compliments everyone! The weather allowed me to seal the interior yesterday...then it snowed again, lol. At least I got enough done to allow me to keep moving. The deck now has its plastic covering on it...and I should be ready to start planking this weekend if I get a good chunk of time set aside.

The progress:

I started laying the deck by gluing the inside half of the sheet to the strip that runs longitudinally along the boat.

The view of the boat if it were 1:1...

Here is a shot looking in toward the interior. I left the angled floorboard out for now...just in case I need to gain access beneath it for some unforeseen reason down the line.

I laid the 1/2" mahogany strips next to each other on my table so I can easily see which ones are warped the most. My plan of attack is to use the ones that are the most twisted toward the bottom of the hull, then use the straighter ones toward the top.

Now comes the fun part!
Old Mar 02, 2006, 11:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,987 Posts
You're right! the mahogany planking is the fun part! good plan on carefully selecting the right plank for the job- this will definately help you keep things looking tight! looking great so far!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 03, 2006, 01:50 AM
85110 Chantonnay, Vendee, France
Joined Sep 2005
109 Posts
Lubrication

Glad to see you have a bottle of "lubricant" to hand!

Looking good, have fun with the planking!
Roger in France is offline Find More Posts by Roger in France
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:10 PM
dirty machinist
Joined Jan 2006
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger in France
Glad to see you have a bottle of "lubricant" to hand!
Absolutely Roger...Lager is the nectar of the gods

And now for an overdue update! The weather this last weekend was amazing...so I didn't spend much time on this lady, I spend my time on my other lady (my vee dub ). But I did get some planking done earlier...here are the pics:

Here is a shot of all the side planking completed before sanding and cutting away the extra:

I got my new speed control for this from Tower the other day. Check out the size! It is also 100% waterproof...and the price was a mere $36 or so! And from my past land RC experience, LRP makes great stuff. Should be great for my Dumas motor.

Here is the first section of planking done on the bow end. It has been rough sanded, but still needs to be taken down some more. Before you glue the outside pieces of curved mahogany, be sure to sand that inner edge square. I was idiot and did not do this, so the plastic stripping sat a little crooked. I worked around it, but it made for some interesting cuts when I had to butt the mitred plastic planking strips up against it. But it still turned out great anyway! I am pretty excited at how great it looks now, and am wondering why I am sitting here typing this up instead of working on it

Here is a side view of the rough sanding: (the smudges are from my oily hands...oops!)

I also purchased some West systems epoxy and the DuPont Naison clearcoat that Pat seemed to like so much for his build of this kit. After seeing his boat, I figured I can't go wrong! One question though...what do I thin it with? I didn't quite get that part when I read the can.

Ok, back to work...hopefully i'll get another update in soon!

-Jody
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:30 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,565 Posts
You should be excited, you have done a wonderful job.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:42 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
Good looking 4 th boat!

Get those oily finger prints out of the wood pores or you will see them forever if you decide to clear coat the wood.

I find wearing a cheap pair of thin cloth gloves when I get to the top veneer siding is the best way to prevent those stains.

I think somebody will tell you what removes the oils.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 13, 2006, 08:45 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,482 Posts
Odie, The Racer is looking good! I thin the West Systems with denatured alcohal. The Clear coat was thinned with the recomended thinner. I'll have to dig it out and get the number for you. Or, call the dealer the paint came from, he can recomend the right blend for your temp and humidity conditions. Here, humidity in the double digits is considered HIGH, so might be different there.
Keep up the excellant work!!! PAT
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle