Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 24, 2002, 09:45 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
more planes...

The Ariane V11 page is now up. Mine is almost finished, and I'll take it on a little slope trip in a few days. I LOVE to dial in new F5B planes on the slope. I'll report back next week on whether I turned it into a pile or a lean mean competition machine...

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2002, 02:06 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
I would like to officially volunteer to be a Beta tester for the Ariane V11... please include two,(2) 24 cell battery packs and the plette/shulze drive.. thank-you.... TIC
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 24, 2002, 03:00 PM
United States, FL, Starke
Joined Apr 2002
2,259 Posts
Be careful there, Dieter! Ask him about his initial Bandit testing!

dd.
Doc Data is offline Find More Posts by Doc Data
Last edited by Doc Data; Jun 25, 2002 at 07:01 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2002, 12:19 AM
San Jose, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
899 Posts
The Ariane looks very nice. I was expecting a price of around $900.00 so it caught my eye that it's $595.00, still a bit hefty for me but when I become employed again, I am definetely going to consider this a transition from the Bandit.

Very nice work from the factory, I love the v-tail control linkages!

Hey Dieter, what kind of Hacker Motor would give this plane great performance on 10 cells?
ferradas is offline Find More Posts by ferradas
Old Jun 25, 2002, 01:32 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
The Arianne does look very nice! Dieter, slightly off topic, but how are the 24 cell setups working out? I'm assuming the current is higher, are the cells handling that okay? Oh, one more thing I had asked about previously...do F5B wings flex a lot or not?

Ferradas, I think you'll have to ask Dave or Sean if you want Hacker info.
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 25, 2002, 01:52 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
ScotY,
Wing flex?
You mean that sickening bent wing look that happens when a 27 cell(not legal but FUN) jockey pulls up a wee bit to fast, leaving him wondering why the wing didn't puff off? Yah, I do that , and the Surprise 9 is still working. And just to let you know, the Arienne that Dieter is selling..one well made plane with a stiff well built wing..no problem with flex there..that's what I think. A very nice plane..top quality..just like all the stuff he sells.

eric
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Jun 25, 2002, 02:41 AM
Joined Feb 2001
2,818 Posts
Hey Eric,

A while back, someone mentioned that F5B models wings flex on the course. I'd never noticed flex on my model but I don't fly it that hard and thought that flex wouldn't be good for efficient flight. So...aside from abusive high-g maneuvering, do your wings flex?

Yeah, I know all the stuff Dieter sells is Definately a bargain too at that price!
ScotY is offline Find More Posts by ScotY
Old Jun 25, 2002, 05:06 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Even the wing flex on my lowly bandit is frightening to see during a high speed pull up.. would hope this expensive true F5B plane would have very little flex??
Old Jun 25, 2002, 06:35 AM
Manassas, VA, USA
Joined Feb 2002
651 Posts
Flex is good. No flex = break. Ever look out of the window of an airliner during turbulance? You'll see the wing flexing pretty good.
Stregone is offline Find More Posts by Stregone
Old Jun 25, 2002, 09:49 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
24 cells and wingflex

Regarding 24 cells:
The development of F5B systems is driven by the types of cells available. When the CP 1700 came out, it had the same size of the 1000 and 1250, and it weighed a little more. However, measurements revealed that it was a superior cell for F5B use, hence almost everyone went with the 1700. Due to the FAI weight ceiling of 1100 g for the pack, only 24 cells can be used.

Regarding wing-flex:
Of course the wings flex. Elsewhere in one of these forums, we figured out that a typical pylon turn generates over 20 Gs on the airframe. At these loads, things better give a little, else a wing or a tail boom may snap. Competition F5B planes are designed typically for 40 Gs. The wings and tail have to be stiff enough to not flutter -- which usually would lead to immediate blow-up -- yet not so stiff that the entire flight loads are transferred only to the wing mount.

Dieter
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jun 25, 2002, 10:55 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Of course one would expect some flex... how much is too much? hard to say or tell.. I can only say that after a vetical dive and pull out on my bandit.. the bow seen in the wing is indeed frightening..
Old Jun 29, 2002, 12:46 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
I guess that now the limbo task has been dropped, there are less planes bursting due to excessive g's.

I notice the wing flexing most of all when one of our guys used a Surprise 10 with 27 cells, and the wing certainly flexed with that setup! It was OK though, and he only removed the power system because it was a bit slow compared to his 'open' plane.

Regards,

Kyri
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Jun 29, 2002, 03:01 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I would have thought the turns at each end of the course would have caused more flexing than anything else.. ?
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 29, 2002, 03:23 PM
England
Joined May 2000
1,486 Posts
The turns are stressful, however the best number of laps is usually achieved with the smoothest of flying, which means flying more of an oval course.

My reference to the limbo was that in some cases, (it depended on the style used) wings could snap. Anyway I have never done a limbo (I started just about 18 months ago) and neither can Ifly a 'smooth oval' however I like watching a lot from base B and the fastest flyers don't have the tightest turns.

Regards

Kyri
Kyri is offline Find More Posts by Kyri
Old Jun 29, 2002, 04:33 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What I've seen is most likely "showmanship" than competitive flying..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W