SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:25 PM
Slope elope
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Looks good. I've got some goop-hinges drying as we speak on my DLG's ailerons. How long did you wait for the hinge to cure? 24hrs? 48hrs?
Cziltang Brone is offline Find More Posts by Cziltang Brone
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cziltang Brone
Looks good. I've got some goop-hinges drying as we speak on my DLG's ailerons. How long did you wait for the hinge to cure? 24hrs? 48hrs?
Today with the rain Jeret, wait a long time before touching them. If you can put a small fan/heater near them is should help speed it up. Main thing is to not agitate them AT ALL for at least 15 or so hours. After 24 hours you can wipe a tolulene soaked paper towel down the top/bottom of the joint and clean it up..
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:49 PM
Slope elope
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Gotcha. I started them last night actually, around 7pm. I'll check on 'em later tonight.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:48 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha. I started them last night actually, around 7pm. I'll check on 'em later tonight.

Well????

More progress...

Wing root gap filler deal glued in, sanded smooth, and middle joiners finished ready for paint.. The wing will have a white stripe down the middle so the colored filler will be covered.

Going to watch some movie with my wife, don't know the name, as all I care about is Jessica Alba is in it...

Fuse prep afterward..

Don
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:51 PM
Slope elope
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Well????
It's no wonder they call this stuff "Amazing Goop". Goop hinges are go!

It's hard to believe I'll ever want to do taped hinges again.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 11:24 AM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Looking schaweet! Did you not use the little servo grommits and screws that come with them? That should provide a tight fit, right?
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:15 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jludwick
Looking schaweet! Did you not use the little servo grommits and screws that come with them? That should provide a tight fit, right?

Thanks Jon..

Well, I didn't use the grommets and screws for two reasons... First, they won't work, as the wood is cleared for the servo where the screw would go. I had to put the screws in at a slight angle and pushed out so I could screw into some "meat"... Second, I wouldn't have used them anyway. I plan to DS this thing and I don't want ANY servo movement AT ALL. The little rubber grommet deals are too loose IMO for this application...

Don
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Servo grommets are used in high vibration applications like nitro trucks, gas planes, etc. No need in a glider.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:33 PM
Slope elope
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
I've been hot gluing in my servos for quite some time now. After the glue sufficiently cools, its a solid as a rock.

Goop works too! Amazing stuff! (I want an Amazing Goop T-Shirt)
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
I've been hot gluing in my servos for quite some time now. After the glue sufficiently cools, its a solid as a rock.

Goop works too! Amazing stuff! (I want an Amazing Goop T-Shirt)

Jeret, I'd loose the hot glue on builds unless you don't have time for goop to dry(thick bead). Goop is FAR superior and the part won't "pop off" like it can with hot glue. Goop is some gnarly stuff and as far as I can tell the only two REAL drawbacks are weight, and the time it takes for a thick bead to dry. Get it over 1/8" thick and it could take a few days to get totally solid. But it IS STUCK!!

Don

Some paint is drying on th wing as I type...... wooooo hooooo!! Picking up some clear laquer to spray on as a top/sealer/gloss coat...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:16 PM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,557 Posts
I agree with Don. Hot glue doesn't stick nearly as well as Goop. Goop is tenacious whereas hot glue bonds weakly and is temperature dependent.
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Last edited by InsaneEPP; Feb 28, 2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
i saw one the other day for the first time... pretty cool!.. HEAVY but that shouldnt be a problem around here...

my only gripe on it is the fuse.. the nose is hideous looks like an ancient viking ship hahaha... but it will get the job done, and it feels beefy...

Cant wait to see one fly in person

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:20 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Dang the white is bright!!! No that's not the sun coming through you screen..

4 coats of clear laquer down, another 4 or so more to go... Sand and polish tonite/tomorrow hopefully...

Don