HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2006, 08:42 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Just curious about the fillet of Goop idea for securing the wing servos ... is that what Andreas is recommending? Going to wrap the wing servos with masking tape (ala the traditional moldie approach)? I have some of that green 3M tape if you want to use some, stronger bond than the blue tape, but still will come off.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:50 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Don......81's in the wings??? you are a brave man. Those things drove me crazy in my Triffik and it weighs, like 9 ounces. I have a pile of them going in to Hitec for double centering and excessive MG slop.

Droydster

Really Andy??

Sure I hear all the horror stories, but i've had good luck with them.. If I even have one bit of trouble, I'll run 3 of the S3102's... I've heard great things about them, and after measuring them, the case is actually about 1mm smaller width and about 1mm thicker.. They would fit no problem. As long as they don't burn up in flight I should be cool...
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:54 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Everyone has good luck with HS-81s for a while...

Been there, done that, "never again!"

Maiden at Grass Mountain tomorrow?

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:00 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin
Just curious about the fillet of Goop idea for securing the wing servos ... is that what Andreas is recommending? Going to wrap the wing servos with masking tape (ala the traditional moldie approach)? I have some of that green 3M tape if you want to use some, stronger bond than the blue tape, but still will come off.

Lance
With the factory layout you have the option to run HS81 size pockets where the holes go 100% through the wing. You can order for HS125's and there will not be the "cut through" hole but I still didn't want such a big pocket "breaking the grain". Probably not a big deal, but I wanted a super CLEEEEEN servo install... The next step will be to do the gun drilling for the wire. I have no idea if I can pull it off, but i'm going to try, as I ordered the wing with no servo wire channels either. The only thing I'm not doing per instructions is the servo install..

Gooping the servos...

No tape used, but thanks for the offer of the greenie stuff Lance... I actually just goop right to the servo as goop will just "thumb peel" right off when you need a clean servo. Black tinted goop, black servo, and a black stripe in that spot on the wing should give a very clean look...

Back to building...

Don
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:04 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Everyone has good luck with HS-81s for a while...

Been there, done that, "never again!"

Maiden at Grass Mountain tomorrow?

Steve

You too Steve???

Has anyone had one just burn up in flight? double center, get sloppy, whatever... But if this things gonna' end up some more fuel at the bottom of the canyon I won't risk it...

Don
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:08 PM
Slope elope
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
How far is Grass Mountain from here?
Cziltang Brone is offline Find More Posts by Cziltang Brone
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:19 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
You too Steve???

Has anyone had one just burn up in flight? double center, get sloppy, whatever... But if this things gonna' end up some more fuel at the bottom of the canyon I won't risk it...

Don
I've had one stop working in flight. Was flying my old weasel at Little Beach and one servo just stopped moving... so the weasel decided to fly out in to the street during a red light (phew), I went and picked it up and all was good but I didnt' fly it for like another 3 months after that.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:21 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
You too Steve???

Has anyone had one just burn up in flight? double center, get sloppy, whatever...
So let's see, that would be a yes, yes, and yes... with three different HS-81MGs. Looks like you need an "all of the above" option

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:22 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cziltang Brone
How far is Grass Mountain from here?
Around two hours by my guesstimate, maybe a bit less. It's out in the middle of nowhere about 45min. NE of Santa Clarita (Magic Mountain).

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:31 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
So let's see, that would be a yes, yes, and yes... with three different HS-81MGs. Looks like you need an "all of the above" option

Steve

Well crap then.... S3102's here I come...
Old Feb 26, 2006, 01:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,483 Posts
My HS81MG experience is that they work ok in crunchies (Nemesis and
Destiny) but the majority of the ones I've used in foamies
have failed in one way or another and I don't use em there
any more. Several of them stopped working completely (aggressive
center, but no movement, and lots of heat). I've got theories about
added stress and/or dust in the pot.. etc.. but really don't know why they failed.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:05 AM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
Quote:
It's got about 1/8" anhedral in both halves
Don, the bow/anhedral is supposed to be there. (Apparently I need to put this in the instructions.) If you think about it, it makes sense. Since the planform is elliptical, the chord length changes non-linearly as you go from the root to the tips. Also, the thickness of the wing is changing relative to the chord...also non-linearly. The TE and LE are straight and parallel, however. So, when you cut out the ailerons, the hinge line looks slightly bowed.....really, it is, but that's how it comes out of the machine.

So, take home points here:
1. No warping has occurred.
2. No harm in taking the bows out.
3. No harm in leaving the bows in. If you DS hard enough, the bows will delay aileron lockout due to bowing in the opposite direction (which I don't think is a problem unless you are talking high DS speeds and small radius turns.)
3. Apparently it is easy to take the bow out if you want.

Also, I can add some pics or details to the instructions about joining the wings.

I think I mentioned in the instructions that you might want to Goop the hinge with the tape side up when curing. I had some problems with the Goop following gravity and getting under the tape, which was a pain. I think the solvents in the Goop attacked the tape adhesive. YMMV

Andreas
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Feb 26, 2006, 07:16 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Good to know Andreas!!

... and I want to say a formal Thanks!!!

The more time I put into building this thing, the more I like it, which you can't say for many kits. On this note...

~ To anyone thinking of building this kit I want to say a few things. I'm starting to REALLY like building this plane for a few reasons that wouldn't be really apparent when thinking about getting one. I have started to build and handle this thing like building/handling a foamy. You can lean on it, stand it on the tip, slap it around, drop it on the bench, and not stress about messing it up. SOOOOO NICE when building. You also have to keep in mind that it's WOOD, and yeah it's not "perfect" and can be a little rough, but once the 40grit starts to get down to 220, and then you finally get to 600, wow what a nice finish... I've only got a couple nite's into it at this point and build motivation is still growing.... Great plane to build!!! ~

On the "bow" issue... It totally makes sense Andreas and either way, it's such a minor detail..

After deciding this thing will do GREAT on the backside I'm going to do my own CF bracing on the bottom of the wing. I feel that the Kevlar strip supplied is a great extra detail that should be done on every build, but if this plane does as well as I think it will speed wise, I feel it needs a bit extra bracing for massive shear layer trauma... The wing is VERY stout but I honestly fear aileron lockout at say 150+ mph and a 50+ ounce plane. We'll see what I come up with... More pics tonite..

Don
Last edited by THUREN; Feb 27, 2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:17 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
more...more..

Ok...

This is not part of the kit. I am sinking this .060" CF plate into the bottom of the wing as I see myself DS'ing my plane. Even though Andreas supplies a 9.5"x2.5" piece of Kevlar to glass on the bottom of the wing, I had the CF plate, the wood CF combo looks killer, not to mention the strength provided.

I designed the plate with the ends angled so that the tension forces through the CF plate were not 100% up to the glue joint. The harder the wing is stressed, the tighter the CF plate wedges itself in the wood...

Back at it!!!

Don
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:20 PM
Slope elope
United States, CA, El Cerrito
Joined Nov 2004
497 Posts
Nice! That wing-join ain't goin' nowhere!
Cziltang Brone is offline Find More Posts by Cziltang Brone