HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:11 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Build Log
THORN build n' fly......

Finally got it and DANG what a concept!!! I like it!!!

Gonna' keep this simple for now...

~pro's

*Sturdy as HECK, and not much in the way of finishing.... Even though it's hardwood, I'd tend to say it's "easier" than balsa to finish and round edges, for the fact that you can just go nuts with the 120grit right across the grain. Then finish with 220-400. No stress that you're gonna' gouge the wood..

*pleanty of room for gear....

* Sweet lines for a bulky "WOODY"...

~Con's

*Surprize-surprize, it's wood from New York, and I'm in dry Cali. It's got about 1/8" anhedral in both halves so I soaked a paper towel in water, wiped down the cores, and let them sit with my wifes wussy little 5lb lead shot weights for the nite... After about 20min I can allready see a change and this should be no biggie...

*Instuctions need a "little" help as they are VERY descriptive, but few pictures... I'm sure Andreas will update this though as the kits progress... Still not bad AT ALL for a new to the market kit... The main thing I'm not sure of at this point is if the TE is supposed to be strait. If I sand the root[s], to line up the wing bolt holes it looks like it might have some sweep.. Not sure, just an observation..

So here's where I'm at....

Busted open the box, checked it out, went to dinner with my wife and some friends, downed a few Jack-n'-cokes, came home and got dusty for about 20 min. sanding. Allready have a goop hinge setting for the nite... I'm going to get the plane 90% done and leave the finishing/painting till almost last. I plan to leave a natural wood finish with black tips on the top, with a black and white scheme on the bottom.. At this point I plan to clear-coat the entire plane after the contrasting colors are set up...

More progress tomorrow hopefully!!

Don
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Last edited by THUREN; Feb 25, 2006 at 02:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
The sweep is meant to be there. There's two little pieces of wood
to glue on for the fixed center section of the trailing edge. If you look
at em, you'll notice they already have the correct sweep angle cut into
them, so if you line em up right, they'll fit perfectly together
while matted to the TE of the wing.

I didn't have any problem with warpage, and it's 15-20% relative
humidity here.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:57 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon
The sweep is meant to be there. There's two little pieces of wood
to glue on for the fixed center section of the trailing edge. If you look
at em, you'll notice they already have the correct sweep angle cut into
them, so if you line em up right, they'll fit perfectly together
while matted to the TE of the wing.

I didn't have any problem with warpage, and it's 15-20% relative
humidity here.

ian
Thanks ian..

I figured that if I just keep sanding, till I have each wing half having two perfect "bolt hole halves", it would work out fine.. It's just a little concerning having the instructions say to sand the root's, and round the joiners also, as you test fit. It's not like they are and even CLOSE to flat surface. No biggie,as I can keep sanding anything "till it fit's" but once you go too far, you're toast... An 1/8" off the front/back of the root could be +/- about 1/2" of sweep at the tips... I can figure almost any instuctions out no problem but shaping the wing root should be in a little more detail IMO, maybe detailing the sweep measurement to check... All else is pretty cool in the instuctions though...
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:05 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
I just took the wing roots to my bench sander and as you say, sanded
em until I had perfect half round joiner holes and it worked out fine. If you
test fit the joiners as you go, the sweep angle will bet set automaticaly.
I rounded the corners of one end of each of the joiners, taped the wing
halves together and then laid the joiner over each hole, and marked the length
from the other side of the hole and sanded a little long.. test fit, sanded
some more, and so forth. Unfortunately when I glued in the big joiner
I got it slightly recessed relative to the airfoil.

BTW, I don't recall feeling like I needed pictures in the manual but it did
seem like some sequencing notes would have been handy.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:16 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Right on ian!! Thanks...

That's what i thought but I didn't want to ASSume.. On my wing halves it looks like if you sand away the the center "ridge" it will leave behind perfect bolt hole halves. Band-saw should knock that down pronto...

Don
Old Feb 25, 2006, 03:31 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,667 Posts
Mine had more material than that to sand off. You'll also have
to decide on your desired dihedral at this point. I ended up with
a little less than I original had intended (top of the wing is pretty
much flat). I think it could benefit from a little bit more dihedral, especially
for lower speed handling.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2006, 08:24 AM
Diggin the Foam
Denver Arapahoe, Colorado, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,292 Posts
I meant to ask you about the Dihedral Ian.

Congrats on the new Thorn Thuren! Thorn Thuren Thorn Thuren Thorn Thuren. LOL!

Sorry its early
Tonasty is offline Find More Posts by Tonasty
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:48 AM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Sweet guys!

I think I am going to put "just a hair" of dihedral in.... Almost not noticable...

Also...... The slight warp is NOT an issue... I put two rolled up rags under each wing half, one at the tip and one at the root, wiped down with a wet papertowel, and with a 5lb weight in the center of the half for 20min, it helled it's strait TE overnite.. No biggie at all... Even after sealing, if things were to move a bit, you could hang the plane by the tips, weight accordingly, etc, to get things perfect again....

This little issue is still 100% worth the durability trade off you get with the plane..

Don
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:02 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Don, how did you get "anhedral" in the wing halves given that they were not joined yet? Do you mean that there was a bow in the tips?
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 25, 2006, 01:19 PM
iWeasel
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2005
1,096 Posts
Wow, congrats on getting it. I know you'll do a nice build. What gear is going in it?

Don, we still need to fly the Alulas together at the Mission Park. I'll be there around dusk tonight - given there is little wind.
jludwick is offline Find More Posts by jludwick
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:45 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Don, how did you get "anhedral" in the wing halves given that they were not joined yet? Do you mean that there was a bow in the tips?

Nope.... bow in the middle of each half....

Pretend the wings were joined, it would have a downward "bow"... It's the best way i could explain it..

Since wetting the surface slightly yesterday and adding a tad bit of weight, they are still almost perfectly straight, and I havent touched em' for 15 hours. I think the travel across the country stressed them a bit or something, and to be honest, I'm very surprised how easy they went back into shape..

Don

Wing sanding and glueing coming soon.......
Old Feb 25, 2006, 02:49 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jludwick
Wow, congrats on getting it. I know you'll do a nice build. What gear is going in it?

Don, we still need to fly the Alulas together at the Mission Park. I'll be there around dusk tonight - given there is little wind.
Gear will be a 700mah AAA pack, HS81MG's in the wings, Futaba S3102 for the elevator, and a MikroDesigns SPF-5 receiver...

My Alula is mid rebuild but soon!!! I've gotten better at catching thermals so i'm amp'd to get it going again..

Don
Old Feb 25, 2006, 04:28 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN
Gear will be a 700mah AAA pack, HS81MG's in the wings, Futaba S3102 for the elevator, and a MikroDesigns SPF-5 receiver...
Haven't seen those receivers before. Have you used them?

I have a Berg DSP 4 that seems to be a similar size and performs like a champ. It has TSR - transmitter signal recognition (I think) which means that it won't pick up another transmitter even if it's on the same channel. I experimented with this while I was switching from an Eclipse 7 to Futaba 9C and sure enough, once it was locked onto one tx it wouldn't recognize the other unless the rx was turned off and back on. I was sold big time.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 25, 2006, 07:34 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Haven't seen those receivers before. Have you used them?
Kinda.... I had some programming issues due to static-shock or something, but nothing major, and all is good now so far. I have two with one in another plane which is working good since they got X-ray'd in the mail or whatever happened to them...

I would have "probably" got the Berg but couldn't get them at the time...

Progress....

I asked Andreas to not put in servo holes, or servo wire channels, as I wanted to do them myself. Here goes....
Old Feb 25, 2006, 07:58 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2003
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THUREN

Don
Don......81's in the wings??? you are a brave man. Those things drove me crazy in my Triffik and it weighs, like 9 ounces. I have a pile of them going in to Hitec for double centering and excessive MG slop.

Droydster
droydx is offline Find More Posts by droydx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sosos