HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:19 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Discussion
CP2 "Yo-Yo" Problem (Video)

Well, I bought a bare-bones CP2 and have been having some trouble with it. I had a very sticky collective which I seemed to fix. Now my problem is that it has a yo-yo effect while hovering. Here is a video showing what it is doing: http://speedwing.net/assets/multimedia/CP2_YoYo.wmv

It seems that the pitch is changing a few degrees every second for some reason.

My setup is: Berg 5 DSP, HS-55 servos, PH10 ESC, Fiegao 4100kv motor with 9T pinion, GWS Gyro and 3s 1500 Kokams.

Does anyone know the fix for this?

Thanks.
Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:24 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer
Well, I bought a bare-bones CP2 and have been having some trouble with it. I had a very sticky collective which I seemed to fix. Now my problem is that it has a yo-yo effect while hovering. Here is a video showing what it is doing: http://speedwing.net/assets/multimedia/CP2_YoYo.wmv

It seems that the pitch is changing a few degrees every second for some reason.

My setup is: Berg 5 DSP, HS-55 servos, PH10 ESC, Fiegao 4100kv motor with 9T pinion, GWS Gyro and 3s 1500 Kokams.

Does anyone know the fix for this?

Thanks.
Well first make sure you main shaft is not bent nor our feather shaft...if thats ok check these:

do you have any play between the collar and main gear(inbetween the frame)? Also do you have some positive pitch in your flybar paddles, I had mine set at 0 degree @ 0thr and had the same prob, added some positive and problem was fixed? Both problems have caused the same issue with my cp2..
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
You might want to read this thread. Especially the one about reducing the play in servo arms with "scrungees"

http://bladecprepair.com/smf/index.php?topic=169.0
BladeLike is offline Find More Posts by BladeLike
Old Feb 24, 2006, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeLike
You might want to read this thread. Especially the one about reducing the play in servo arms with "scrungees"

http://bladecprepair.com/smf/index.php?topic=169.0

the cp2 pin is alot tighter than the Blades(or it might be the center hub) Unless its worn.. I would check the top collar above the frame on the main shaft.. It would cause the same effect in the post that bladelike posted.
I had VERY little play but still had the issue just like your video.. I took a pair of needle nose and pressed the shaft up to make sure the pin was seated correctly and tighten the collar on down..

hope this helps
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:02 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Thanks guys I'll try your suggestions.

The feathering spindle isn't bent (already checked that) and there is no vibration when the blades are spun up, so I don't think it could be a bent main shaft.

Will keep working on it

-- Acer
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2005
399 Posts
I think your headspeed seems to be fluctuating. That would be my guess by the sound of the main motor.

Awais
x0wnag3x is offline Find More Posts by x0wnag3x
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:26 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Do you think I should set the ESC to Governor mode then? Which governor mode should I use, low or high?

I put a new main gear on and made sure the main shaft was tight, but I still get the fluctuation in hover.

Thanks.

-- Acer
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:41 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Just thought of one more thing, do you think the pinion could be slipping? I'd think if it was slipping, it wouldn't even turn the blades. Could it slip and stick, thus giving more and less power to the rotor?

-- Acer
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:03 AM
file sharing is illegal
Peoria Illinois
Joined Dec 2005
699 Posts
naw,motor rpm sounded constant to me,I think its in the collective,How does it act in idle-up?
benson100 is offline Find More Posts by benson100
Old Feb 25, 2006, 09:00 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
Well I refit the motor pinion with locktite. I also enlarged the area where the flybar goes through the head with a 5/64" drill bit.

Almost all of the Yo-Yo affect is gone now. It will actually hover pretty nicely

Now I just need to switch to a DD tail (not much right tail authority at all).

Thanks again guys.

-- Acer
Old Feb 25, 2006, 11:22 PM
here
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
speaking of which, is the DD tail a must-have? I saw the dual tail motor mod too, how does it compare? (this is coming from someone who is looking to get into helis really soon)
AKAKillaz is offline Find More Posts by AKAKillaz
Old Feb 26, 2006, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2006
8,359 Posts
I would wait and see how you like the stock setup..I have heard good and bad about DD. I havent had my cp2 for that long, just over a month but got her tail pretty much dialed in..
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:30 AM
SpeedWing Test Cruncher
Loveland, Colorado, United States
Joined Jan 2003
899 Posts
marjamar is offline Find More Posts by marjamar
Last edited by marjamar; Feb 26, 2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Wrong Login
Old Feb 26, 2006, 10:32 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,996 Posts
The problem with me is that the stock tail has hardly any authority while piroetting (sp?) to the right, turning left is fine, but I can get into trouble if I need to turn to the right. Anyone else experiencing this?

I have a short can Fiegao that I can install and still use the geared drive setup, but I'd have to run another wire to the motor.

-- Acer
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:20 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1 Posts
YOYO Prob

My blade was doing the same thing, I tried everything to fix it, ended up putting some grease on the plastic pieces that slid up and down that attached to the head (main shaft spindle), ended up that the plasitic was binding on itself and causing it to yoyo up and down. I would take out the flybar, slide the head off and grease it with a grease that won't harm plastic, I used white grease and it seemed to work good.
cessna pilot is offline Find More Posts by cessna pilot