HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:48 PM
Joined Feb 2006
17 Posts
Discussion
Steam powered tug: Midwest Liberty

I am new to this forum, but there are some very knowledgeable people here, so it's a good place to start. I would like to try my hands on a model.
I don't want to drop a fortune as I am a relative novice...I build the $800 kits when I know what I'm doing.
I've been looking at the Liberty Tug by Midwest. It says it's for beginners....does that mean it'll be too easy? I'd like a bit of a challenge, but nothing that'l just frustrate me. I like the idea of powering this with steam, although not entirely necessary. I have one question about steam power, can it be controlled in any way, or is it always "on"? I'm not really talking about speed control, rather whether you can stop and start once in the water.
That's about it for now. If anyone knows of any other good models to start with, let me know! I was also thinking about the Jim Wilder Tugboat, as it comes with running hardware and motor...plus you get to build the hull.
Thanks folks,
Matt
stickers11 is offline Find More Posts by stickers11
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2006, 04:43 PM
Castaic, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,221 Posts
Matt,
The Midwest steam engine and boat line are designed for begining steam boaters and are the cheapest way to get a steam boat. Well some seasoned steam boaters will like them also for there simplicity and ease of running. The Midwest kits have great detailed directions and good quality materials. With a simple single cylinder steam engine it will not be able to stop and start during a run, but will happily putter around the pond for about 15-20 minutes, the speed is slow enough to not require throttle control.
Self starting steam engines require two double acting cylinders in which the engine has no dead spots, this type of engine has four strokes of power for each revolution.

Thanks
Steve
steveciambrone is offline Find More Posts by steveciambrone
Old Mar 01, 2006, 03:56 PM
Mťxico, D.F.
Joined Oct 2004
886 Posts
Hello!
I believe that this is a good starting boat, even you can make some changes of your own, you can find some ideas in the net.
Iím building one, and I put her some new doors (didnít like the kitís doors) with more details, even added a couple more; a back stair; a little more detail on the hull; added some lights, a tug horn.
I remember RGinCanada was scratch making a tug like that. But donít remember the title.

The midwest steam power seems a good and inexpensive choice

Have a nice day
Escipion
escipion is offline Find More Posts by escipion
Old Mar 01, 2006, 04:01 PM
Mťxico, D.F.
Joined Oct 2004
886 Posts
Hello!!!
The only problem I found in the kit is that you have to use a lot of wood filler, even in some corners you may have to work extra in order to give her a good image.

Have a nice day
Escipion
escipion is offline Find More Posts by escipion