HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2002, 12:46 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I'm Back!! (back to making Mini SpeedWings)

I just got back this morning at 4:00 a.m. I'll start to build and send the rest of the kits as soon as possible. I just went through all the posts about the MSW. I am real excited about the great responce I've had about this plane. Everyone's Mini SpeedWings look great! I'll be getting my own domain and making a website for ordering pretty soon. I have other designs that I want to sell after I catch up with the orders. I will be starting a small internet buisness for this wing and other designs.

For those of you who have a tip stalling issue, move the C.G. forward 1/8" at a time until it stops tip stalling.

For those of you who have to dive before doing a flip, you have to move your C.G. back. Just move it back 1/8" at a time. When you move the C.G. back, you have to use less reflex in the elevons. Just adjust the trim for level flight. This does two things. First it makes the wing have a higher top end speed because of the reduced drag. Secondly it makes the elevons have more control authority. I can make my MSW loop 3 or 4 times consecutively before it stalls out.

For Kenny in Colorado Springs, you can bend a little more pitch in the 3x2 props. I just came back from Wyoming where I was flying the Mini SpeedWing at 8500'. It flew pretty good although it was a little slower that here in Florida. I really should have shot some video because of the great scenery where I flew and camped. Once I bent in a little more pitch, the MSW flew faster (much like here in Florida).

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.

-- Acer
Acer is online now Find More Posts by Acer
Last edited by Acer; Jun 23, 2002 at 12:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2002, 01:56 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jun 2002
256 Posts
GREAT!

I can't wait. I've watched the video a dozen times. That's what I want.

#75 Charles Shay
Zero Six Sierra is offline Find More Posts by Zero Six Sierra
Old Jun 23, 2002, 07:46 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Acer, Your directions are great and easy to follow! I stripped a gear on one of my servos by accident so haven't flown it yet. I trust by reading the posts it will fly as easily as it builds!
Thanks for a great design at a fair price!
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Jun 23, 2002, 09:33 PM
LA County, CA
Joined Jun 2002
140 Posts
New designs?

This is Bryan H., # I don,t know, I,m up there on the list, but if the new disigns is more appealling, can i order it or them instead, without losing my place in line. realistically I,m about 70-90 on he list.

Not that I,m greedy or anything.
Thanks
BFLYER1151 is offline Find More Posts by BFLYER1151
Old Jun 23, 2002, 09:37 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
BFLYER1151, I am not kitting other designs at this time. So far the only kit I am selling is the Mini SpeedWing.

-- Acer
Old Jun 23, 2002, 09:49 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Just returned for the 'Indiana State Off-Road Nitro Championship Race' at R/C World in Lynn Indiana (www.rcworld.com). I could have sold 20 MiniSpeedWings, Hell, I may have! (Commissions?)

Each morning, we fly until the breeze picks up. There were LiteStiks, Tinys, MinMaxes, Cubs, etc. We played 'Tag' with LiteStiks... I deceded to try to tag the LiteStiks with the MSW... What a hoot. we even flew the LiteStiks on the track last night, under the lights, while sipping a few 'Baley-Pops'. It was fun sharing the track as a runway with 1/8th scale buggys and 1/10th scale trucks...

Anyway, had 4-5 people on a trainer cord flying the MSW, and always drew a croud. This afternoon, someone wanted to try it, so I tossed it up in 10-15mph winds, and had a blast.

Hopefully, a few will place thier orders. Hopefully, several new Ezoners will come out of the great time we had... Thanks again for a great design.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Last edited by Gene Bond; Jun 23, 2002 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2002, 10:14 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Genebond, that's great to hear! Yeah, I think once you guys start flying your Mini SpeedWings around there will be others that want one. I appreciate the free publicity at the R/C Race
Thanks.

-- Acer
Old Jun 23, 2002, 11:08 PM
United States, IN, Evansville
Joined May 2001
1,765 Posts
Acer,

Thanks for the tip! I will try that. Note to everyone. Do not leave in hot car . Some how the left wing must have been really hot in the sun. It looks like it melted or something a little. You can se an indentation on it. Hopefully it will not effect flying performance too much because its a great little wing to have around and toss in the air at anytime.

Kenny
kenny_dilger is offline Find More Posts by kenny_dilger
Old Jun 24, 2002, 12:01 AM
Worcester, MA.
Joined Nov 2001
1,408 Posts
Hey Acer!
What number ships next? I'm #81 and waiting patiently. (Sorta')
Dennis-
DBCherry is offline Find More Posts by DBCherry
Old Jun 25, 2002, 12:55 AM
Flying Free
Utah
Joined Aug 2001
1,938 Posts
Acer, I need a new center plywood peice. How much? (How much for the foam wing halfs too?The MSW flys great, but a freak cartwheel landing flopped it down onto the bottom prop protector and broke the plywood center peice just in front of the motor mount / vertical stab. You might want to make the plywood taller at this point. Kind of bring the vertical stabilizer/motor mount up from the wing about half way to the front tip. Just something to think about if others have this problem too.

See my post under MSW construction photos.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...425#post380425
erashby is offline Find More Posts by erashby
Old Jul 14, 2002, 01:42 PM
Exotic Dancer
Atlanta, Ga, USA
Joined Jul 2001
766 Posts
Got my kit on Friday at work. It was torture having to work while that kit sat there and stared at me with its little mini speedwing eyes. By Saturday afternoon, I was flying. having never flown a wing before, I wasn't sure what it would do, so I threw it and glided it just to get a feel for control responses. I have my servo throws set on "pansy", but that wing was the most fun I have ever had with my clothes on. It flies just like described. It slows down to trainer speed and is surprisingly stable, and it will loop and roll so fast it makes your head spin. Once I got comfortable with it, i was doing touch and goes. Yes, it is possible. If you keep the glide speed up, you can skip it off the ground and climb back out.
I haven't covered it yet, as I have a habit of learning to fly a plane before I spend a bunch of time on cosmetics.
All in all, it was more than worth the wait. Acer deserves to reap big rewards for this design, and I wish him all the best.

-=PT=-
Pork Tornado is offline Find More Posts by Pork Tornado
Old Jul 14, 2002, 08:54 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Thanks Pork Tornado. I'm glad to hear that you like your Mini SpeedWing.

Everyone else, I've ccontacted all who said that they wanted a kit. So, I am taking orders for anyone who wants a Mini SpeedWing. There isn't much of a waiting period now that I have all the supplies. I will usually be able to ship the next day once you PayPal me. Email me here for ordering information: sixgunner45@hotmail.com

I have bought a domain name also and I'm in the process of building a web site with online ordering and payment. I'll post on a new thread when the web site is up.

Thanks.

-- Acer
Last edited by Acer; Jul 14, 2002 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2002, 11:39 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Was out flying mine this morning, and swore I was fighting a dying motor.... Started with a QC830 pack, and it was kind of slow... Tried a 7x300, then a 8x300, and still slow....

Then the light went on.... the prop got knocked off the other day.... Sure as anything, it was on backwards!

Back to rolling and looping and even a spiral turned flat-spin into the soybean field.... Yeeha!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jul 14, 2002, 11:41 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,950 Posts
MSW looping

Hi Acer! Thanks for the great kit! Finished mine this AM and took it out to fly, problem with CG at first then moved it back and flew great, Boy is it quick and get 12+ min on Todd's 7 cell 300ma NiMh packs. Rolls great and inverted flight is fine but whenever I try to loop, either from level or a dive it snap rolls to the right. Pulls out by itself and level, checked my throws(wild) and elevon travel all ok. Think my CG is still off, right at 5 3/4 in as prescribed?
Can't believe the roll rate, fantastic!
Regards,
Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Jul 15, 2002, 09:03 AM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Pete, your problem may be a high speed stall. When looping don't give it full elevator instantly as it will probably stall the wing. To loop start feeding in elevator until you are at maximum elevator throw. You can do this quickly, just don't bang the stick all the way back at once. See if this helps. You can also try moving the C.G. back a little at a time. A rear C.G. helps in making easier and continuous (3-4) loops.

-- Acer