minizepp.com
powerblimp is offline Find More Posts by powerblimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:36 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
Well it wont be 3 axis most likely... as it must follow aircraft on vertical axis.

You could do it yourself using heading hold mode with 2 Futaba heli gyros or one 2 axis Futaba airplane gyro stabilizing servo driven camera platform...

Commercial types as seen on news helicopters would cost lots and lots of $$$ ...
Hovertime is offline Find More Posts by Hovertime
Old Feb 26, 2006, 11:49 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
Well it wont be 3 axis most likely... as it must follow aircraft on vertical axis.

You could do it yourself using heading hold mode with 2 Futaba heli gyros or one 2 axis Futaba airplane gyro stabilizing servo driven camera platform...

Commercial types as seen on news helicopters would cost lots and lots of $$$ ...
I've been wondering about this also...

I was thinking if it was possible to use a FMA Co-pilot for pitch and roll stability and a heading hold gyro for the yaw axis? I have not had a chance to play around with a co-pilot. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

I remember seeing a paper on horizon sensing where the sensor directly controlled the flight surfaces to keep the sensor level and two servos would actually pitch and bank the sensor.

Thanks
Dart
ElectroLawndart is offline Find More Posts by ElectroLawndart
Old Feb 27, 2006, 12:03 AM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
The thing is - if you have a second TX moving camera around for that perfect frame - then you don't want it horizontal all the time...
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:24 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Actually just the gimbal base would be stabilized in horizontal and azimuth as the aircraft pitches, rolls and yaes. The camera mount/gimbal would move about on the stabilized base. The down side is the number of servos/actuators needed and the limited range of motion.

Another possible solution is to use machine vision techniques using a computer to lockon to an image and that computer pan, tilt, and rolls the camera.

I'm only throwing out brain farts here. I haven't put any real thought into this.
Dart
Old Feb 28, 2006, 09:28 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I think cheap 3axis stabilization is like holy grail for us. as fund permits, I am trying out different ideas.

mems sensor, pico tilt is 2 axis, 1 axis vision lock with HH gyro is a possible comob. 3 vision lock with 3 HH gyro is another possibility, Copilot with vision lock and HH gyro is another possibility. (make sure that sensors have clear view)

all these require servo to have pot feedback. (so, no 360cont modification on the servo)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:22 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Thier are some kits out their that are 2 axis with gyros and all.
I will post them when I find em.

Machine vision is an excellent way to go but unfortunately I know a lot about machine vision and the various systems out their and they all consume a good amount of power. The Closest think I have seen is the UC Berkley Machine Vision camera set. I would assume it can do what you speak of it would have angular rate limitation related to the feild of view of the camera and the frame rate of the camera.

I will try to find the links for these units.

In the end the DIY kit seems to have the best price/performance option but it is ony 2 axis Im sure you could modify it for 3.

The key is reduced power consumtion, weight and cost.

Shortly I will be joining you I am working on building my Autopilot first then its on to the cameras.

Scott
Tuner is offline Find More Posts by Tuner
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Yah the lack of any servos with 300-360deg travel is Lame!

The best are the Hitec Robot servos with 180deg rotation.

Then you get into position encoders and modifying the heck out of servos.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 12:45 PM
Joined Aug 2004
293 Posts
Tuner, I tried to pry some info out of you once before on your autopilot idea. You probably just didn't see the post. I am very interested in stabilizing aotopilots. I don't care about GPS etc. So far the only ones I find that work at a reasonable cost are IR, though Spartan is coming out with a accelerometer version that is interesting. No real details on it yet and it is months away. A version that uses a co-pilot ir sensor shipping soon though. Care to share a little info on your plans?
Rudy
rdresch is offline Find More Posts by rdresch
Old Feb 28, 2006, 03:40 PM
Always right
Chicago
Joined Feb 2003
5,924 Posts
OK, can someone explain to me how can a camera be stabilized on 3 axis ?

As I understand it 2 axis vertical and horizontal stabilization allows the camera to be pointed at the object, and stay pointed and relatively stay still pointed at it while aircraft is moving.

Now the 3rd axis in space would be aircraft altitude no? I'm confused...
Old Feb 28, 2006, 04:18 PM
Bridgwater, UK
Joined May 2003
673 Posts
Not altitude...roll

Terry
Terry S is offline Find More Posts by Terry S
Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:34 PM
Plane & Computer crasher
So. Cal.
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovertime
OK, can someone explain to me how can a camera be stabilized on 3 axis ?

As I understand it 2 axis vertical and horizontal stabilization allows the camera to be pointed at the object, and stay pointed and relatively stay still pointed at it while aircraft is moving.

Now the 3rd axis in space would be aircraft altitude no? I'm confused...
The three axis would be pitch, roll and yaw. I think that most of the guys in the AP forum use two axis gimbals, pitch and azimuth (yaw). IMHO you need the roll axis to be included to completely isolate the camera platform from the motions of the aircraft. Further thinking about it, the roll axis becomes less important the more off angle from the nose all the way to perpendicular then rising again toward the tail. If the video is being downlinked to a ground station computer, maybe the computer can simulate the roll axis.

Just more brain farts.
Dart
Old Mar 02, 2006, 04:09 PM
York Electronics
Dallas Tx USA
Joined Apr 1999
2,505 Posts
{once again I'm giving my two cents in the UAV forum... - I don't do UAV }

The best systems use mirrors to stabilize the image. Mirrors don't have but a fraction of the mass and respond much faster than moving the whole camera. The mirrors are articulated around one axis and a magnetic actuator moves the mirrors. This kind of looks like a speaker drive coil/magnet arrangement but its setup to tilt the mirrors, not push them in/out like a speaker would do.

These mirrors are used to stabilize shaking and vibration and servos are used to move the camera head so that the error correction range is centered for any intended direction that the camera is to 'see'. Pan/tilt = servos. Shake/vibration = mirrors.

The biggest challenges are inverting the video (if needed), adjusting the response curve algorithms and the interfacing with the gyros.

Tell me to go away if I'm hurting more than helping .

Gary
--
Gary Warner is offline Find More Posts by Gary Warner
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:40 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Thanks Gary Please go on if you have more information.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
387 Posts
Thanks Gary Please go on if you have more information.