HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2006, 07:15 AM
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 ShowTime 4D/90.

HI! Menbers,

Need to check is there anyone flown this plane before? I believe is quite new about few months old already, any good review on it and what size engine fit in nicely and how was the flight review? Thanks.

X-spec.
X-spec is offline Find More Posts by X-spec
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2006, 08:03 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
There's a thread on it in the 3D/Fun-Fly Forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354331
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2006, 01:07 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Yea, and Steve did a nice review on it here also:
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4900
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Feb 22, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Good looking plane. I was reading the review, and it says it does no coupling when performing knife edges.What is coupling when doing a KE?
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Last edited by chris8105; Feb 22, 2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
When you put the plane in KE any tendency the plane might have that requires elevator and/or aileron correction is called coupling.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2006, 02:33 PM
Cincinnati Cin N.Knty, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,037 Posts
Thanks
chris8105 is offline Find More Posts by chris8105
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:01 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,153 Posts
I'm putting an OS 1.08 in mine....with heavy-duty servos...can't wait!!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fly Models Sbach 30cc
Old Feb 25, 2006, 06:44 AM
Joined Jun 2002
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2
I'm putting an OS 1.08 in mine....with heavy-duty servos...can't wait!!
Don't forget to check your wing and stab incidences. And have fun routing the throttle linkage... Also, you might want to look into replacing that tail wheel unit. Aside from being 'way too large, it makes the plane sit almost "flat"; and with the 16" prop you'll need on that 1.08, ground clearance will be just one of the issues.

This thing is basically a Pattern plane with attitude. A VERY smooth, relaxing flyer. They say you can get really ignorant with it, too.
Steve Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Steve Campbell
Old Feb 25, 2006, 08:50 AM
Joined Oct 2005
67 Posts
I bought a used Showtime and put a Saito 125 and 16X4 prop in it. If the weather works out this weekend I should take it up for it's maiden. I'll be running it by the LHS this morning to have a "pro" check it out since it's my first 4 stroker and I'm fairly new at customizing the setups. I had to do some trim work and basic TLC to get it into "new" shape. It balanced without lead even w/ the rudder servo in the tail (it actually helped it balance).

I put 3.5" ultralight wheels and larger wheel pants because I fly from grass occasionally and the bigger pants actually look better IMO (I even gave them the purple swoosh treatment). I replaced the tail wheel w/ a sullivan unit and it's pretty solid. The factory unit had too much slop since it was used.

I need to weigh it still but I'm guessing it'll be on the higher end since I put bigger wheels and pants on it but the 125 should pull it plenty well.
water.boy is online now Find More Posts by water.boy
Old Feb 26, 2006, 08:42 AM
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
Video.........

X-spec
Old Feb 26, 2006, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2005
67 Posts
Just got back from the maiden.....WOW!!! This is my first big plane, my first 3d nitro, and my first 4 stroke. I tached it to 9400 w/ my 16X4 prop...hope that's not too high The low is still a little rich so it doesn't transition as smooth as I'd like but it pulls like crazy!!!

I moved the battery forward just to be a little on the nose rather than the tail and it shot right up. A little trim work later and it flew very nice (not that I know what nice is yet ) The book rates are a little high for my tastes on low, and EXTREMELY HIGH on the high rates. I bumped the highs down a lot and it'll still roll blindingly fast. The elevator was actually worse for me on high so I cranked it waayyyy down.

I weighed it before flying and it came in a little on the portly side at 9lbs 6oz but like I said before I added 3.5" wheels and pants big enough to cover them since I fly on grass a lot. Without the pants I think it's like 8lbs 13oz.

All in all it was a great 4 flights w/ the exception of the canopy trying to fly off. I'll say this, it definitely uses the side force of the canopy because knife edge with it flopping around was goofy.

Since this is my first real flight report I'm not sure what you want to know but I thought this would be good enough for now.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 06:50 PM
Joined May 2004
121 Posts
HI! WaterBoy,

Thanks on the review, I think it should be more than enough since I haven't got my yet so not sure what to look out when build her........any good info?

X-spec(James)
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:50 AM
Joined Jun 2002
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-spec
HI! WaterBoy,

Thanks on the review, I think it should be more than enough since I haven't got my yet so not sure what to look out when build her........any good info?

X-spec(James)
There are several things to watch out for. Check the thread on this airplane in the 3D Forum.
Steve Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Steve Campbell
Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:11 AM
S.A.D. member
Joined Dec 2004
9,388 Posts
Dial in some expo (40% to 60% for the high rates, 30-50% for low rates) - that will take care of the excessive sensitivity around stick center while you still have full surface deflection when you move the sticks away from the center.

Ivan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2006, 01:13 PM
Joined Oct 2005
67 Posts
X-spec, mine was already built since I bought it used but I went through and found some loose sticks and glued them.

Ivanc, I didn't have any expo on lows but had 40% on high and I think I'll need a little more.

I can't wait to fly this thing again but now that the weather is nice I'm feeling like crap!!! I may pop some drugs and sniffle my way out to the field this weekend.