HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
Yippee!
New Spot Discovered "Willow"!!! Warning, Lots of Pics!

i took the a day off from work today and was thinking what i should do... i knew i wanted to fly, but couldn't get anyone else to go... so i decided to go check out a set of mountains that is about 5 minutes from my house and has been catching my eye ever since i moved here.

it is a set of mountains right behind the World Famous Willow Springs Raceway... i can see and hear the track from my house... it was time to check it out... so i grabbed my RuNt, radio, duffel bag, camera and compass and headed out.

i stopped by the Raceway sign for a quick pic:

i also snapped a pic of the set of mountains i was headed to, here they are:

i headed down a dirt road and parked the truck noticing i have a LOOOong hike ahead of me to the spot i want to go... its ok though i was in the Marine Corps for 5 years, ain't no hike ever going to scare me i did notice that with a 4X4 there is access straight to the top... my little lowered S-10 wasn't going nowhere though, so i grab my stuff and i'm off... here is a pic of me about halfway up, my RuNt with Willow Springs as a background:

here is a pic of the spot i am heading to, i'm about halfway up... it is a shot of the backside... you can also see the 4X4 access road up (the EASY way):

here is another pic about halfway up the mountain looking down at my truck:

after i finally hiked to the top i snapped a couple pics of some of the surrounding hills... these two were the backside where i was DSing the RuNt which i'm not very good at

these mountains would pretty much be flyable in most any wind direction... today was blowing NNW and the lift was INCREDIBLE... i could speck the RuNt out in seconds... buzzing high speed passes were the special of the day seeing how many weeds i could clip as it screamed by ...

here is the only flying shot i got since i was alone... the ol' RuNt specked out:

and finally here is a shot of my house from the top of Willow :

was a great day
Drew360 is offline Find More Posts by Drew360
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
What is the wind direction of these faces? I'm going to be moving to Butte Valley, about 10 miles strait east from there, very soon...

Nice spot and I have four-x-four...

Don

THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang that looks nice
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Feb 21, 2006, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2005
597 Posts
that one in your reply faces about SE. that was one of the spots i tried DSing at...

i didn't get any shots of the actual face of the mountain i was flying off of. the side facing the N and NW...

the cool thing is that there is a face to fly for about every wind direction... i need to try them out and see if they are as good as todays direction was.
Drew360 is offline Find More Posts by Drew360
Last edited by Drew360; Feb 21, 2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:04 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
Hey drew.. killer find.. last time i was racing i was looking at those but didnt feel like hiking and only had the Talon and my dually at the time that would not climb that hill... i gots the jeep now though

here are some pics i pulled off of google earth..

This is the pic you took, looks SE winds... but South-SW look good too..

This looks like it would also rock for NE (santa ana winds)

and this is probably what you were flying today? Nw-NNW?

great find though... looks like next NW winds were gonna do some offroading How knarly is that hill? think my jeep could do it?

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
498 Posts
Drew-I'm still laughing to myself because the pictures make it look like your house is closer than your truck!HAHA! NICE find.(Thank gawd I got a 4x4!!)

Bill
socal bill is offline Find More Posts by socal bill
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:16 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
almost tempted to call you and ask you to delete the pics before the f3f guys take it over

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oceanside CA
Joined Dec 2004
4,046 Posts
Probably won't have to worry about that JOe, looks like the LZ is a little rough anyway.
Mr. Innocent is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Innocent
Old Feb 21, 2006, 10:23 PM