HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
Question
Best Electric Sailplane for Slope/Slermal Use

I have a number of slopes near me with tremendous thermal activity, but usually not enough slope lift to venture out and snag the thermals. Saturday I saw someone fly a Multiplex Easy off the slope with an electric motor and it seemed ideal - light wing loading, semi-durable for slope landings (a built-up ship would get destroyed where I usually land).

Is this a good choice? If it were EPP, I'd have no reservations, but how does the Elapor perform? I want something I can speck out in thermals and then burn off speed with mild acrobatics. Can these planes loop/roll/dive without snapping the wings?

Just for background, I typically fly slope - everything from a Weasel to 50 ounce PSS and 2m molded ships, so I'm comfortable at the sticks.

Thanks!
Dominic
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 05:46 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
Look here it has 2 videos at the bottom
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4728
and here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ex+easy+glider
I have one and it is easy to fly and tough as nails
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Last edited by steve ypsi mi; Feb 21, 2006 at 05:51 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:03 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Elphor is pretty tough. My main field is practically nothing but rocks, it has scars but has been going strong for over a year. Are you talking about an EZ star or EZ glider? The EZ glider electric would be closer to what you usually fly.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:33 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,214 Posts
I was thinking of the EZ Glider electric. Thanks for clarifying, Solcat. Thanks also Steve for the links - I hadn't seen those videos.

This plane may be my answer to off-season and early morning flying. I am used to more aerobatic planes, but I don't think I can get that kind of performance without increasing the wing loading, which will impair the thermal performance. I really liked what I saw when I checked this plane out at the slope over the weekend. My 10.5 ounce Weasel was hugging the cliff while this EZ Glider powered up to about 250 feet and cruised around there, very high in a very weak lift band.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle