SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2006, 01:56 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
Discussion
Looking for pics/info on the old DAM warbirds.

Do you remember the kits Wade Kloos used to sell under the Durable Aircraft Models kit line? He sold some great looking, very scale, very large EPP warbirds. Unfortunately, he got sick of being a kit maker after a year or two and quit making them.

There used to be a really nice website showing lots of pics of the DAM warbirds flying. Quite a few of them have appeared at the PSS Fest over the years.

Anyway, I got myself a great deal on a NIB DAM P-51, but now I can't find much in terms of pics and info about finished DAM models online.

If anyone has any pics or working links please post them here!
Brian Courtice is offline Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 02:30 PM
Hope is not a strategy
LoCal
Joined Jun 2003
79 Posts
PM Mike Lance, He registered here back in august, but hasn't posted.

He has several of Wade's planes, and may know how to get ahold of wade or have plans etc.

john roe
www.roenation.com
quietman is offline Find More Posts by quietman
Old Feb 21, 2006, 02:42 PM
Member: GSPL
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Hi Brian. I have a DAM P-51 and it is a good flying airplane. Has the optional airfoiled EPP tailgroup.

Here are some photos:
sloperut is offline Find More Posts by sloperut
Last edited by sloperut; Feb 21, 2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 02:54 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
Found more photos of various DAM models at Soar Utah (I'm pretty sure the BF-109 is a very, very well done DAM model ) from the IMSF webpage. Sorry but no builders names to go with the photos.

Jeff
Last edited by sloperut; Feb 21, 2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old Feb 21, 2006, 03:03 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
That's what I'm talkin' about! Thanks very much for posting Jeff.

One of the DAM T-33's made the cover of Model Airplane News one year. It was great cover and a gorgeous plane.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:37 PM
H.A.L. 9000
Benicia Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2001
730 Posts
Try Terry Trimble's website, "Soaring Tools" at GeoCity, all EPP planes.
checkenbach is offline Find More Posts by checkenbach
Old Feb 27, 2006, 06:18 PM
Utah
Joined Jul 2003
487 Posts
I just love this photo. Two DAM T33's in formation. From the PSSA website.

http://www.pssaonline.co.uk/gallery-...oting_Star.htm

Jeff
Old Feb 27, 2006, 09:50 PM
Jacksonville, Oregon, United States
Joined Apr 2002
202 Posts
Here's a link to a video of DAM P51 in flight. Cool thing is,now it's mine.
DAM P51 flying at Woodrat Mountain.
wdratsloper is offline Find More Posts by wdratsloper
Old Feb 27, 2006, 10:40 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
Good stuff guys! Nice vid. Love that shot of the twin T-33's.

Hey Jack, I think I need a big T-33 just like this!
Old May 01, 2006, 01:11 AM
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Apr 2006
56 Posts
Hi Brian,

Wade Kloos here. I just began looking into RC Groups and what a thrill to see the old models alive and well - with new ones on the way. I just posted an update to what I (formally DAM) have been up to and what I will produce in the near future. You can see the post here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...21#post5409937

If you have any questions on your model, I will be happy to answer them the best I can.

Sincerly,

Wade Kloos
wade@scalepursuit.com
ScaleMe is offline Find More Posts by ScaleMe
Old May 01, 2006, 01:41 AM
Joined Apr 2006
56 Posts
DAM PICs

Brian,

Since you asked for some pics I will throw these out.

I reread you initial post and I do want to clarify something you said. I did bail out of kit manufacturing, true, but it was not because I got sick of doing it or that I lost the passion to do it. Rather, I wanted to find a better way (more efficient way) to make kits and I could not devote the time needed to research this while producing kits and working a traditional 8-5 job. If you see the link in the above post, you will learn that I am coming back - bigger and better this time.

The Bald Eagle Mustang is, in fact, my old Miss America P-51 recovered. The great thing about big, durable airframes is that they can be reborn with a new "uniform". It flies like a brand new model. It is one of the oldest DAM mustangs alive today and she is still flying great. I see no reason why you would ever have to trash this model due to a crash... Miss America was crashed plenty times - I think even John Roe (hi John) crashed it for me once(thanks John).

The T-33 is the one that made the MAN cover in Sept 1999. I loved those tip tanks!!

Cheers,

Wade
Old May 01, 2006, 02:23 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,585 Posts
Awesome pics Wade! Welcome to R/C Groups.

Your models really set the standard back then for scale looks in EPP. DAM proved that a "foamie" could look as good as anything else, and fly just as well too.

These days we are very thankful that guys like Jack Cooper from Leading Edge Gliders are filling the nitche your designs helped to create.

Good luck with the new company! Quality giant scale fuel powered Epp models: that sure sounds intriging. Do you have a website yet, or any pics or specs on the products you will be offering?
Old May 01, 2006, 10:32 AM
Joined Apr 2006
56 Posts
Brian,

Thanks for the compliments on my models. I spoke to Jack at the AMA show a few years ago. His models look great and I too am glad somebody continues to offer EPP PSS models in that size range.

I will note that my models were designed around a slightly different philosophy than LE Gliders. Perhaps this is too small a detail to mention but when I set off to create big foamies I wanted to make sure that these models could fly in light wind conditions, therefore my airfoil choice (S3021) was oriented around this aim. Luckily, I hit the right airfoil on the first try. It gave the light lift performance I was after yet still penetrated fairly well in strong winds - although not a speed demon. I actually think that the model flies best with one pound of ballast when the winds are right (say 20 mph or so). But I was very pleased with the fact that it could still fly with winds under 10 mph, especially if one incorporated flaps. I am guessing, based on the airfoil used (RG14 or 15) that LE Gliders were looking for faster speed, in a similar class as Brian Laird's models. Perhaps their testing showed that their airfoil had the low lift performance they were after. I just didn't find it necessary to experiment any further with airfoils after the 3021 was tried and confirmed.

Concerning the new business, I am about 4 months form product release. My website is www.scalepursuit.com, however its content is not yet upoaded so it is not functional yet. I will say that my goals for our products is to reduce the risks associated with flying big scale models, i.e., the loss of invested time and $ resulting from a crash of these complicated models. I expect to entice the typical sport flyer to try scale modeling by offering a product that can take such abuse. Even more enticing will be the fact that airframe is fully shaped - not like what DAM customers had to do to get the final appearance. These will be quick-build kits taking about 30 hours to assemble. And perhaps the icing on the cake is my new skinning method. No more iron-on covering!! Sorry to leave the specific details out but soon I will have the whole package ready for the modeling public.

If you send me your email, I will be sure to update you on the new products when I get to that point.

Wade
wade@scalepursuit.com
Old May 01, 2006, 10:50 AM
Joined Apr 2006
56 Posts
Brian,

Just a few thoughts on the DAM Mustang construction. I have adopted some changes to how I build my EPP gliders, so I will pass these along for your consideration during your build.

First, I do not use an EPP spinner any longer, they just don't handle the abuse well (more a covering issue than the EPP really). I use a Dave Brown 3.5" aluminum spinner/back plate with no prop cut outs (you can order them this way). This is more more aesthetic to look at and can take some abuse. Use a ply "firewall" to attach the spinner back plate to and make some stand offs to accept the spinner bolt. I use the area in the spinner to house the battery and its charging jack.

I find that the strapping tape mentioned in the manual is really not necessary to yeild a durable model, especially when your goal is to keep the model looking nice (i.e., no combat and you can land with confidence). This provides a much smoother surface for the covering to go over. I removed all the strapping tape from my Miss America model when I re-covered it into the Bald Eagle. I used light weight spackle to fill the foam's uneven surface, then 3M 77, then covered the model with Ultracoat.

Using flaps is a personal choice. They are not really needed, but they do extend the flight envelop slightly and can help with precise landings. I flew Miss A with flaps and then chose not to install them on the Bald Eagle.

Wade
Old Jun 28, 2006, 01:33 PM
Los Banos Ca.
Joined Apr 2000
242 Posts
Wade, good luck with your new adventure. Here's mine I built 6 or 7 years ago. Need to replace the battery pac and have forgotten where I put it. A real nice flying plane! Thanks Tom
Tom Rouch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Rouch