HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Many thanks!
50$ at warbirdsrc.com with free shipping.
I'm getting one.

BTW,
That 30 amps with a 6x4 was on 4s right?
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2006, 02:32 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel G
Many thanks!
50$ at warbirdsrc.com with free shipping.
I'm getting one.

BTW,
That 30 amps with a 6x4 was on 4s right?

Hey Bro!

Yeah, that's a tough deal to beat!

I measured 30.5A with the 6x4 on 3S. I haven't measured with 4S yet. I just forgot to fill in that blank while testing... though I do not expect the difference to be significant. Maybe tonight if I get my work-bench a little less trashed. Garage makeover has taken it's toll, but it'll all be better soon...

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
chuckand is offline Find More Posts by chuckand
Old Mar 21, 2006, 07:07 PM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Har hum, I see a new ESC in the future.
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
More flight time... (and video help. Paul?)

Gang,

I flew the 50" TL more this weekend! Weather (dead calm) allowed me to do some final tweaking on the motor mount to just about nail "neutral" (at least as far as my unskilled thumbs can tell... I am sure Ck could make it better :-).). Started to pick up a little more speed and playing a little...

Rolls are SWEET and quick.... even with NOTHING for aileron throws. I just LOVE the vertical performance of this setup (STILL flying with 3S!! Maybe 4S next time??)....

I get a real kick out of coming across the deck at moderate speed, pulling up, rolling on some more throttle (to 3/4 or so...) and doing a rolling climb! In about a second... it's high enough for orientation to be a bit of a challenge! Chop the throttle, do a diving roll or two..... throttle just a bit above idle.... roll on a bit more... and loops as big as ya want!!

Yup... gotta love it!! I have GOT to get some video posted!

Which brings me to my next comment... I've ordered a Firewire card to pull in video from my digital camcorder. It's supposed to come with some cheap OEM software, a cable, etc. Looks like it may be too good to be true, as I have not heard a word from Compusa about the order status yet. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy a card, cable, and software seperately.... or wait until Christmas for the one I ordered. What's the best deal for a low-cost software package to do what I need to... to get video from my camera to where I can post it? This is off topic and you can reply offline, if you like.... but until I get this squared away, I won't have video to post, unless I burden someone with my dirty work...

Well, anyway... the nervous/terrified feeling is starting to fade a little with the 3S setup... I'm sure adding another cell will bring it back :-). When that gets too "boring" (I just don't see this wing..... EVER... being boring!), I've got the 40" Demon waiting in the wings... Maybe someday I'll even have the "fortitude" to fly it :-).

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:46 AM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
When i get to work i will do some shoping is this for a desktop or laptop. (cards would be diffrent.) I use the $34 compusa card in mine..

I will post back in a bit.. we can get you hooked up..

Also are you running windows, Mac ???
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulVi
When i get to work i will do some shoping is this for a desktop or laptop. (cards would be diffrent.) I use the $34 compusa card in mine..

I will post back in a bit.. we can get you hooked up..

Also are you running windows, Mac ???

Thanks Paul.

Desktop/Windows XP (and 2K).

Software is the big unknown for me....

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:19 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Power testing w 4S and 6x4E prop

Howdy...

If you've been following my saga, you may recall I built my TL50 with the HET 4W and 4S in mind. I've been running the 4W with 3S and enjoying it immensely (this really is a good low cost/low risk setup...). Since I've got the batts on the shelf, I thought it was time to start gearing up to fly 4S. I think I've got the wing pretty well tweaked, so flight manners shouldn't be an issue. Maybe some more motor mount tweaking is in order... as I anticipate thrust being significantly increased... but I will not know that before flying.

So last night I finally rearranged things to accommodate 2x 2S 3700mah batteries (with a series connector) to see how 4S looks. The 3S 3700 setup (7x5E prop) was pretty lively (very good vertical performance, great speed.... very good manners overall...). Let me tell you, compared to 3S... the 4S setup is VERY ANGRY! I put my Wattsup on it last night and measured 45A at full throttle (3S with 7x5E was 30.5A). I do not anticipate flying at full throttle much... however, I see the "good vertical performance" going to "Oh.... My.... Gawd......" vertical performance. We'll see....

Time permitting, I'll get some flight time in tonight. If not tonight, it'll wait until this weekend. Either way, it's ready to go. With 2x 2S packs, it balances in Ck's recommended CG range without any nose weight. With the 3S pack all the way forward, I needed a small amount of weight in front of the pack. Glad the dead weight is gone :-).

Oh... and I added a "scoop" on the top of the electronics bay lid to help with cooling. 45A is.... like.... 50% more than 30A :-). I'll take pics when I get it looking a little less "prototype-ish."

I'll keep ya posted... and hopefully grab some more video. My Firewire card/cable/software shipped yesterday, so maybe I'll receive it by the weekend. With any luck, I'll have video to post before y'all get old and gray (well, for some of you.... "older and gray-er". You know who you are!)

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:02 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
I will send what we talked about in the mail tonigh priority i have a packge going out to Chris too..

Been a busy week.. I will be a way for a bit but should be able to check my mail from time to time so when you get it if you have questions just ask...

4 disks
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:19 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckand
I'll have video to post before y'all get old and gray (well, for some of you.... "older and gray-er". You know who you are!)

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)

What about us old bald guys???????????????

Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:07 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by termite
What about us old bald guys???????????????

Randy

"Number three... Will you please take one step forward, turn to the left; and now the right. Thank you."

He's the one officer! That's him!!!

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:22 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
I swear I didn't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He He He He

Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 02, 2006, 01:44 AM
Registered Lipo Abuser
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Sep 2005
628 Posts
Have you flown it on 4S yet?
Taylor Mullin is offline Find More Posts by Taylor Mullin
Old Apr 03, 2006, 09:31 AM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
I flew my 50" TL on 4S (Yeeeeee...... Haaaaaaaaaaa!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Mullin
Have you flown it on 4S yet?
So, does the title say it all or what??!!

THIS, my friends, is THE setup for a 50" TL (OK.... so THIS is the setup until I wick it up a notch.... and find THE NEXT BEST setup :-).

This is a GREAT value of performance and economy! No additional nose weight, reasonable all up weight, and kick-butt speed!

I am sold on Ck's notion of "speed through volts, not Amps...". I was very happy with the 50" TL on 3S. Going with 4S and propping down has made it a new bird all over again! I did not have a lot of grief with the torque reaction with the 7" prop, but it was there... Roll on the throttle hard from a lower speed, and plan some stick to keep it straight. On 4S with a 6x4? Straight as an arrow... Smooth, clean.... butt-whuppin' power!

I did not EVEN get a chance to explore the envelope of this wing with the 4S power setup. I did some mid-speed passes, some climbs, and lots of rip-roaring high-speed high-altitude traffic patterns... I wish I had an opportunity to fly more, however the winds had just died down (below 25 MPH!) before sundown, so a lot of time was spent keeping proper orientation as the checkerboard on top disappeared completely.... (FYI, even 6" squares like this are marginally useful for orientation... Maybe a different contrasting scheme like yellow and blue or back... but the red/Silver just don't cut it when the shadows are long... that or I need glasses...).

Regardless, I flew enough to be thrilled to death with the power configuration, and it is safe to say the 3S packs are now free for Demon 6S duty! I won't be going back to 3S in the 50" TL!

After flying the 50" TL at Mach 2 for as long as my nerves could stand (seemed like forver, but I am sure was just a few minutes...), my step-son Chris and I flew my old trusty Unicorn (mostly in the dark). I am dumb-founded by the difference in control input required to keep ahead of that plane. You want speed? You better trim "down." You wanna float? Better trim it back up... Dialed in, the 50" TL is so much less work... It just goes where you point it.... full throttle or at "idle" on approach. I do have to admit taking a LOT more chances with the Unicorn though... (like.... flying in the dark :-). There was a large pile of gravel on the construction site and I was seeing how close I could get to it... resulting in a few "skips" off the top :-). I managed an approach low/slow enough for me to jump over the Uni as it skipped at my feet too. I've got a 40" TL in the works I intend to keep as light as possible.... and keep the power system low-cost as well... to pull the same "park flyer" shenanigans with. Looking forward to the versatility of speed without the trim changes!

A good time was had by all....

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)
Old Apr 03, 2006, 10:08 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Chuckand;

I have an aging Unicorn, recently converted to brushless, and have been looking HARD at that beautiful 50-TL. But I'm not much of a speed demon.

Is the TL stricktly for high-speed? Or can I slow it down and float around and do hand-catches like with the Unicorn? Since you have both, I'm looking for an opinion.

Thanks;

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Apr 03, 2006, 12:23 PM
Aaaala Baaama
Joined Sep 2004
734 Posts
Can the TL 50 fly slow? Youbetcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MumblinBerk
Chuckand;

I have an aging Unicorn, recently converted to brushless, and have been looking HARD at that beautiful 50-TL. But I'm not much of a speed demon.

Is the TL stricktly for high-speed? Or can I slow it down and float around and do hand-catches like with the Unicorn? Since you have both, I'm looking for an opinion.

Thanks;

-MB
-MB,

I remember when my "stock" Unicorn was a handful, and I couldn't imagine flying it at full throttle. Ahhh.... those innocent by-gone days.

The 50" TL is a great "step up." It can be built to really rip, however it is very well mannered at slow speeds. The airfoil has no tendency to "tip stall," and my standard landing is plopping it on the ground with essentially zero forward speed. I'm not hand catching yet, but I see it in the near future. This is still a new plane to me, but I am getting more comfortable with every flight...

The real beauty of the TL airfoil is it's ability to behave in a lofty and graceful manner at sane cruise speeds, yet if you turn up the heat, it continues to fly lofty and gracefully.... only faster. You comment you are not a "speed demon." Me neither. Funny, but a TL shows you how to go fast without it feeling fast. That is... you don't have to adjust the way you fly when you wick it up. You just keep flying... I took the brushless motor off my Unicorn because I did not like what the speed did to the "fun" factor. It is just not as much fun to fly fast. YMMV.

As I mentioned in another post, I've got a 40" TL on the bench waiting on decisions for a final configuration (and money!). I'm going low-end brushless or speed 400 on 10-cell NiMh, 5x5 parkflyer prop. Cheap-o servos ($9.99 JR ST47's), external linkages, etc. A real buget build... and light to boot. This may be one to consider as well, though my experience is not first hand, yet... This will be my "in town park-flyer let your buddies fly a wing for awhile" kind of a project. I hope to fly it like I do my Unicorn... (playtime... anywhere...), only faster when I wish to turn it up...

I hope this helps some.

Chuck (in Aaaala Baaama)